Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Is a Nate Doss X Avenger different from regular X Avenger?

I love the Avenger. The SS Avenger was my first disc and I loved the regular Avenger even more. It's my favorite driver.

So I found a Nate Doss 2005 Avenger in elite X plastic. The plastic feels very thin and tin like almost. I even left it outside for a couple of weeks hoping nature and the elements would break it in some. I've thrown quite a few rounds with it and it still feels the same and I'm not a fan at all. I don't like new DX plastic either but my DX Roc after a night in the pond and a few rounds feels like soft butter now. I love it. I keep hoping the X Avenger will do the same.

I've also read many times that the X Avenger has more distance and is less overstable than a regular Avenger. With this Nate Doss one (160g) that is not the case. I can throw my Z 169 Avenger 300-330. I'm lucky to get 275 with the X Avenger and it's got a good bit of fade on it.

Does anyone know if the Nate Doss elite X Avenger is different from a Regular X Avenger? Have they changed the Elite X plastic? Maybe updated it?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 76 Times in 48 Posts

I don't know about the Nate Doss Avenger, but my X XL feels nothing like you described. It's got the newest X stamp style. It's got nice grip, and a little bit of flex too it, but is still stiff somehow. It's my favorite for feel. I'd get a new X Avenger.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts

The Doss Avengers break in really well. They seem to start pretty overstable at that power level but give it a few rounds and some nice tree hits and you're looking at a decently straight disc with a nice feel. Unless you just plain don't like X plastic at all. Don't know if you throw much X but for me, my X Comet felt weird at first but with some time began to feel great in my hands.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 21
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yeah, I'm hoping it breaks in more. I'll keep throwing it and next time I'm at my not so local shop I hope they've got some I can feel up. I'll keep it in the bag and keep throwing it. This is the first X plastic disc I've had.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 246
Niced 32 Times in 17 Posts

Most X plastic feels better as it breaks in. I have a crazy-beat Nate Doss X Avenger, and it's the grippiest disc I own. Give it some time.