Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 174
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
When originally designing Kenwood Trails, I was looking at the topo map and the net elevation difference between the lowest spot midway on hole 5 and the blue basket on 13 was about the same elevation difference between the tee and pin on 18 at Hyland Hills. Kenwood just has the up and down in smaller chunks.

Rethinking Kenwood, and then being reminded of Hidden Lake, I am going to amend my statement to make sure that I am not implying most Minnesota courses are flat and boring. Kenwood does have some nicely designed elevation change where the change is definitely a part of the challenge, as does Hidden Lake.

However, I am sticking with my overall statement that in comparison to some other big courses I have played recently in other states, elevation is a rare challenge in Minnesota. When it is used, whenever possible, like at Kaposia, it is a marquee hole whereas the majority of the course is flat or has only a minor change with the majority of the hole still being flat. I am not talking about a basket simply at the top or bottom of an otherwise open fairway where the placement is vital or something bad will happen, but shots where elevation is combined with tight lines, hazards, and or blind bootlegs. I am also not saying that a course is poor if it does not incorporate elevation. All I am saying is that VQ tried to build some elevation in a few shots, and that is only one of a few unique features that were built so it was just not another Minnesota course in the woods.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 12:27 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts

Its a unique course for sure and lots of fun. Fire pits on lots of the holes, putting games, and such. A lot of goose **** lol. BRP down the road is better IMO. I played BRP 3 times to the 1 time I played Vision Quest while there.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 146 Times in 76 Posts

Has everyone forgot about Bryant Lake hole 17? That's not elevation change?

Niced: (2)
Old 08-29-2018, 02:03 AM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 20 Times in 12 Posts

I was also going to add that just over the other side in wisco is Somerset Dgc which has a ton of wicked elevation play. Hole 17 comes to mind. Not that far from MN...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas187 View Post
I was also going to add that just over the other side in wisco is Somerset Dgc which has a ton of wicked elevation play. Hole 17 comes to mind. Not that far from MN...
I like Somerset and Tower Ridge, both within easy striking distance of the Twin Cities. Chain's Edge in Mora has a great mixture of challenges, and is only getting better. I wish I could hit that up more as well.

As for Bryant Lake #17, that is what I am talking about in regards of marquee holes. When there is elevation change on a MN course, it is a big deal and definitely stands out as a unique hole. Same can be said for HSSA 18. The rest of Bryant does have some rolling elevation changes, such as 10, 11, and 13, but most of it does not really add or detract from the challenge of the particular hole. Think of 11 - it is a downhill putter shot, but it is not any more or any less challenging because of the elevation. It just makes it an easier putter throw.

All I am simply trying to convey in all of my bloated rants is that MN lacks a consistency of certain challenges. I am not saying a course is poor if it does not have every single challenge incorporated into every single hole. What I am saying is that a course should not automatically be dinged negative ratings simply because they are trying to include challenges that are unique for the area (as long as they are done well).

I have seen gimmicky for the sake of adding challenge. You might say Hole 14 at VQ is such a gimmick, but 3, 5, 15, and 18 with the water is done well to provide unique challenges, especially for MN. 15, with the water, wind, and elevation being the primary challenges, is a good hole even if it swallows up numerous discs. Do not like it, pitch up to the drop zone. From there it is an easy approach.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 162
Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts

If you've never played it, 17 at Bryant is a hole that you in NO way would want to throw without a practice shot if playing for $ or in a tournament. JMO
Old 08-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 31 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
If you've never played it, 17 at Bryant is a hole that you in NO way would want to throw without a practice shot if playing for $ or in a tournament. JMO
Agreed. I played it solo the first time I ever played and it and had NO IDEA where I wanted to land on my drive. It seems like I wound up in the parking lot but it was awhile ago so I could be wrong.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakatak View Post
Agreed. I played it solo the first time I ever played and it and had NO IDEA where I wanted to land on my drive. It seems like I wound up in the parking lot but it was awhile ago so I could be wrong.
Practice and more practice taught me that the best disc to throw on this hole would be a TeeBird, TeeBird3, or a G-PD; something that is true to the definition of stable, something that is not greatly affected by suddenly having a lot of air under the disc. It seems the faster the disc, the easier to turn it over and into the thick on the right and or the quicker it slows down into its fade and bails out hard.

I have been basket deep on numerous occasions, but unfortunately too far right and blocked by the guardian trees, by blasting a TeeBird. Even something like an EMac Truth or Fuzion Verdict will get you by the short basket and a clean look up at the long. Even my seasoned BioFuzion Enforcers can get up there without fading or turning too much. Next time out I am interested in seeing what my Worlds can do - although they have more turn than my Enforcers, and I can seen them finishing too far right. Throwing-wise, it helps they removed a few trees from the left side of the parking lot, making it easier to bail in, but the trees by the basket keep growing, making that a tighter window. Good hole, and again, my definition of a marquee hole in MN.

But yeah, it took numerous throws and a few lost discs to figure this hole out.