Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 271
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 199 Times in 79 Posts

I played Selah for the first time recently and found it to be an outstanding experience. But I don't care (even a little) about the surrounding area, nightlife, breweries, etc. I love the outdoors and prefer rural areas. That ranch is gorgeous and the disc golf is outstanding.

In defense of the "grumpy guy", I played on a winter weekday, and it was clear to me that he was a maintenance man with plenty of other things to do. Added on to his "to do" list for the morning was to get a golf cart ready for the one player (me) arriving that day. He was efficient and got me on my way so that he could get on with his chores. I didn't expect anything more, and wasn't disappointed in the least. But then I have worked in parks and other outdoor facilities and know that people can get spread pretty thin.

To answer the OP's original question: I go for the layout and the scenery, but not for the surroundings. I"ll take a beautiful natural course over something jammed into an urban park any day. My personal favorite in terms of the mix of golf and scenery? Grindstone Park in Ruidoso, NM.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 39 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
I played Selah for the first time recently and found it to be an outstanding experience. But I don't care (even a little) about the surrounding area, nightlife, breweries, etc. I love the outdoors and prefer rural areas. That ranch is gorgeous and the disc golf is outstanding.

In defense of the "grumpy guy", I played on a winter weekday, and it was clear to me that he was a maintenance man with plenty of other things to do. Added on to his "to do" list for the morning was to get a golf cart ready for the one player (me) arriving that day. He was efficient and got me on my way so that he could get on with his chores. I didn't expect anything more, and wasn't disappointed in the least. But then I have worked in parks and other outdoor facilities and know that people can get spread pretty thin.

To answer the OP's original question: I go for the layout and the scenery, but not for the surroundings. I"ll take a beautiful natural course over something jammed into an urban park any day. My personal favorite in terms of the mix of golf and scenery? Grindstone Park in Ruidoso, NM.
Yeah for sure about the guy who got us our cart, it was the same situation and that’s all it was, disc golf was a “to do” thing he didn’t want to do.

It just doesn’t add to the experience when you ask the guy “do you play yourself?” and he looks at you with disdain and says no like you just asked him “do you dress up in little girl’s clothes and have tea parties?” The overall point is that you go to one of the top ranked disc golf courses in the world and the guy at the pro shop appearing to hate disc golf as a chore doesn’t add to the experience is all.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,682 Times in 1,281 Posts

I can see how it would diminish the experience being greeted with someone with a bah humbug like attitude. You think that they'd be able to find someone who's at least into the sport if not enthusiastic. I imagine they could offer free play to such a person as a perk to help the attract more positive people. I mean that's just a smarter business decision.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 156
Niced 645 Times in 270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelboycraig View Post
You mean this isn't the best restaurant in the world?

How can we be sure that it wasn't at one time, like back in early 600 BC?

As for the problem the OP is facing, I would start with looking at the areas I would like to visit for the scenery, then narrow it down by researching the DG options in those areas. And, I wouldn't rule out a place because it has mostly 3 disc rated courses. There are some really fun courses that are rated no more than 3 on here. If you're travelling far to a 'top' course you've never played, and counting on it to make or break your expensive vacation, you might be doing it wrong.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 91
Niced 39 Times in 16 Posts

I tried to edit that post but I was too late. I kind of realized as a public forum I don't want to slag on a guy just doing his job on a cold winter day who drove over and opened for us when he probably had other things to do. He was truly fine, no issues whatsoever with the guy personally, he wasn't rude, he just clearly didn't care much for disc golf, it's not a good reason to point him out on a public forum, I regret posting that.

The point I was trying to make was more that the pro shop of the "best course" was staffed by a person who doesn't play disc golf or appear to care about the sport. Anyway, I think my entire post has come across as way more negative than I intended and makes me sound like I want all courses to be high end pay-per-play, which isn't the case. Some of my favourite courses I would never want to see developed further than a few signs thrown up by a local club - overdevelopment is awful and I'd hate to see disc golf in general move to a pay-for-play model that felt like ball golf. It's all just discussion, we all love playing and take different experiences from playing, let's keep a wide mix of courses and styles out there.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 408 Times in 165 Posts

Given the resources required to create and maintain manicured ball golf courses, resources including petroleum and chemicals that damage the environment, I'm not in favor of DG adopting the course specifications/conditions expected for ball golf. Sure, any course requires grass cutting and upkeep, which requires gasoline and sometimes chemicals, but not near the level of ball golf. And yes, ball golf, overall, has become more environonmentally aware, but they couldn't have gotten much worse with their practices.

I'm all for repurposing failed golf courses for DG purposes.

I prefer courses that combine hiking with throwing discs. If nice scenery and nice hole design is included, awesome. The setting matters and the course design matters and I applaud courses that do the best they can with the land they have without severe destruction to the land itself.

And I secondly prefer park courses as someone who champions mixed-use areas.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,468 Times in 1,148 Posts

My preference is for layout/design the most but scenery does factor in heavily. I mean, you could play a well designed course in an abandoned industrial park probably but how much would you really enjoy it? The night life/surroundings doesn't factor into my preferences hardly at all. If I'm traveling to play DG I'm there to throw plastic, period. Like Shuie said, if there's a microbrewery or decent grub spot around to cool down at afterwards that's cool but definitely doesn't go into the rating.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 30
Niced 130 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeplant View Post
Anyway, I think my entire post has come across as way more negative than I intended and makes me sound like I want all courses to be high end pay-per-play, which isn't the case. Some of my favourite courses I would never want to see developed further than a few signs thrown up by a local club - overdevelopment is awful and I'd hate to see disc golf in general move to a pay-for-play model that felt like ball golf. It's all just discussion, we all love playing and take different experiences from playing, let's keep a wide mix of courses and styles out there.
Your post was fine. DGCR is home to a lot of asshats, is all, as this thread shows. Keep that in mind and discount some (or much) of the bitching and there's useful discussion to be found.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 913
Niced 104 Times in 53 Posts

^^^^Many of the "best of DGCR" have posted in this thread. Nothing but civilized and positive responses; IMHO.

Niced: (2)

Old 01-14-2018, 07:53 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeplant View Post
The point I was trying to make was more that the pro shop of the "best course" was staffed by a person who doesn't play disc golf or appear to care about the sport.
It bears mentioning that disc golf is not the primary revenue source for our "best course", and if not for the primary revenue source, it and it's counterpart likely would not exist.

Niced: (3)