Old 08-27-2018, 12:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 466 Times in 283 Posts

Isn’t the possibility of a roll away part of a sloped green? The risk reward of the upshot getting in position to minimize a missed putt and roll is all part of it. Sure occasionally we all sink a putt and get a bad roll, that’s just the physics of a disc on a hill.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 104 Times in 51 Posts

Ever had a bad shot that worked out all right? Want to mitigate that out of the game too? My group has a saying, "disc golf gods giveth and taketh away."

If you start keeping track, I'd be willing to bet it all comes out fairly equal in the long run.

As the fella said:
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,965 Times in 1,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeplant View Post
Yesterday I had three putts only an inch or two low that rolled out down hills 40-70 feet away and turned three birdies into bogies, costing me six strokes instead of three.

I don't get very hot tempered on the course but 70 foot rollouts make me rage. Coming from a ball golf background where holes are supposed to be cut on a level surface it feels like a BS gimmick.

However, when I stop internally whining I tell myself:

Make your putts and it's not a problem.

It's part of the game and one of the areas where players are forced to make more compelling risk/reward decisions. That said, there should be only a few holes with serious slopes under the basket, it's downright annoying if half the holes are on giant side slopes.
Aren't most ball golf greens undulated? Sure, maybe the exact location where the hole is cut has to be a flat part, but there's ups and downs leading to it, no? So if you roll a putt past the hole, you could roll to a slope and the ball can run off down the hill further away than you started.

I mean, greens, whether ball or disc golf, that are flat as pool tables would be boring as hell.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,453 Times in 1,142 Posts

The only rollaways that really stick in my craw are the ones that roll into water near the basket. Potential lost disc + OB stroke is too punitive for my liking. An obstacle along the edge of water just high enough to stop low speed rollaways (like the sign boards they use) seems preferential.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Golf greens on good courses are definitely not flat. There is a crazy amount of earth moving to make greens have a variety of features.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 107
Niced 500 Times in 220 Posts

And those fairways on hills... don't get me started.

I can't link it right now but there's a disc golf fails video with a classic hillside rollaway at the expense of Mr. McBeth on a great drive in the middle of the faiway.. He just had to smile I was so bad.

I don't like rollaways, but figure that everyone is open to them and they can't always be avoided.

Again, talking McBeast. Round 2, MVP Open this year. I didn't like that his approach was punished by the artificial ob when the other guy's (name?)approach got saved by the wall behind the basket on a throw that would otherwise have blown way past the basket.

Last edited by Jimb; 08-27-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 39 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
Golf greens on good courses are definitely not flat. There is a crazy amount of earth moving to make greens have a variety of features.
No, greens themselves are obviously not flat over the entire surface.

About two feet in either direction of where the hole is cut (give or take) is supposed to be relatively level, so that if you putt it extremely close you have a tap-in.

There are holes in disc golf where if you are millimetres away from making it with the perfect amount of speed you can roll out 70 feet, that doesn't really happen in ball golf.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Nah man, I’ve worked at golf courses and seen plenty of cups put in on a slope, especially for tournaments.

Also, occasionally a golf putt is a bit off target and loops the rim and shoots off for a tough second putt. Theme is the breaks sometimes.

I’m all for fair greens, but roll always are going to happen. If you go too far to minimize rollaway, before you know it all the baskets are on level 30’ circular pads, and thats just boring. That said, a pin on top of a steep slope on all sides just because is no fun also, a good green should have a fair risk reward element. Rollaway are part of the risk sometimes.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.8
Courses Played: 367
Niced 1,777 Times in 872 Posts

What the usga says:
Quote:
Usga.org
Rule 16
Requirements for Hole Location on the Putting Green

Q. What are the requirements for establishing a hole location on the putting green?

A. The USGA frequently receives requests for guidelines with respect to selection of hole locations on the putting greens, particularly during competitions. There are no rules regarding hole locations, so there is no such thing as an "illegal" hole location. The USGA believes that many factors affect selection of hole locations. The first and most important is good judgment in deciding what will give fair results. Do not be tricky in locating holes. Following are specific points:
…
An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,656 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
Golf balls are spherical.
Discs are not. Flat is where it's at.
^ this.

Plus the fact in disc golf, how the ground slopes near the basket has absolutely no bearing on your ability to make the putt, or how it travels to the basket, unlike golf, where the slope directly affects the path of the ball en route to the hole.

In disc golf, the ground is only a factor after you miss.