Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,879 Times in 811 Posts

I am going to reiterate most here. Permetherin is the stuff. A couple times a season I bust out my socks, shorts, shirts and douse them, paying attention to the waistband of my shorts and bottom third of my shirts. I have picked up a couple with clothing, that I have taken off and wrapped around the handle of my cart, as well. Wash your clothes immediately and jump in the shower. This is good poison ivy advise, as a bonus. Don't skip doing these things, no matter how many cocktails have been had after the round. I do wear shorts and believe I can feel ticks as they jump aboard. I just got a tick twister as a joke, from a disc golf buddy......haha.....it is in my bag, no joke. Ticks are bad news and dangerous.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 71
Niced 149 Times in 82 Posts

i spray my shoes, socks, pants, bag, and hat with permethrin. Then I spray my arms (and legs if wearing shorts), and back of my neck with picaridin. I had lyme twice, since I started this routine a few years ago I've only ever found one tick on me.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 PM

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 108
Niced 42 Times in 16 Posts

It's critical to check yourself after a round. I hiked through some wooded areas of a park last year while looking to design a few new holes. I didn't find any on me after exiting the woods. But when I got home, somehow one made its way up my right pant leg and was just sitting on my calf. It freaked me out! Fortunately it hadn't bit me. Lyme disease, if not caught early enough, can cause a myriad of medical problems. And this year is suppose to be a very bad year for them, so protect yourself - it will be waaay worth it in the end.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,673 Times in 1,278 Posts

Frodo's uncle Bilbo, handed down a tick resistant shirt made of permethril...

Light as a feather, but tough as dragon scales.... which is nice when you shank your drive into some wildly thorny brush. But alas, the elves don't make that stuff anymore.

Now that's some OOP equipment I'd pay good money for.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:37 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 165 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I made my own tick killer for a while but since the nymphs don't spread disease I quit worrying about it.
Nymphs do spread Lymes disease. While they're not more likely to carry the disease, they're generally considered the most dangerous since they are often undetected long enough to transmit whereas adult ticks are usually noticed and removed before they can spread the disease.

That being said here is an important recommendation I haven't seen on the thread yet:

If you find a tick on you, and it's engorged, or you have good reason to believe it's been attached for 24+ hours prior to removal, you should call your doctor and ask for a prophylactic dose of antibiotics. It's a single pill and can prevent the infection.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
Nymphs do spread Lymes disease. While they're not more likely to carry the disease, they're generally considered the most dangerous since they are often undetected long enough to transmit whereas adult ticks are usually noticed and removed before they can spread the disease.
You are correct, I used the wrong term. Larval ticks are the ones you don't need to worry about. Having not yet eaten, they have had no chance to pick up disease. They are also the only ones that will get on you by the hundreds.

Hypercaution is ok if disc golf is your only exposure to the outdoors. If you spend a lot of time in the woods almost every day though, being bitten by ticks is just a part of life and you'll have to learn to hope for the best.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 651 Times in 292 Posts

I just go everywhere with a flock of Guinea hens at my side. Not only do they keep bugs at bay, they keep me safe from being stalked by a predator also. Win/Win.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 72
Niced 130 Times in 61 Posts

The premixed permethrin spray is convenient, but pricy. As stated above you can buy concentrated permethrin and dilute to soak your clothing in. I personally soak everything I wear, including my underwear. I also spray my bag and shoes. I was infected with Lyme playing dg near Allentown a few years ago, but they are all over up where I live in WNY. If anyone has any questions as to how to dilute the concentrated mix or where to buy it feel free to message me and I can walk you through it. I don't want to see anyone get Lyme because they don't know how to take preventive measures.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 81
Niced 14 Times in 4 Posts
Exclamation It's not just Lyme: Powassan is on the rise!

Definitely good to see everyone is aware of the tick-borne disease threat. Remember though: Lyme Disease is not the worst that can happen from a tick bite!

Powassan virus is on the rise in the eastern US, and while it is not a severe illness for everyone, those who are susceptible will suffer severe encephalitis that is in up to 50% of cases followed by permanent neurological damage or death.

Powassan was found to be present in the deer tick Population two or three years ago, and since deer ticks feed directly on humans, cases of Powassan are increasing.

Stay safe and protect yourself!

Niced: (1)

Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 190 Times in 101 Posts

Lots of good information here.

Permethrin really seems to work in my experience with it. Unfortunately, the setup (spraying out-of-doors, reapplying after several trips through the washer, avoiding cats, etc.) sometimes is too much for me. But if I'm doing some serious backpacking where I know ticks are a thing I'll always use it.

I *DO* always combine with DEET. DEET doesn't do much for ticks but I spray on skin for mosquitoes.

Mosquitoes and ticks can carry more than one disease, and they keep discovering new ones....so better over prepared than under.

TBH, chiggers are the thing I worry most about...damn things suck.