#131  
Old 10-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,389
Niced 2,884 Times in 1,044 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
Three Putt

What would be a good "replacement" for a Classic (grid stamp) Aviar?

By replacement I mean similar to same floaty straight flight but a plastic with a better grip than what the Classic comes in.

I'm in Canada and at the temperatures we are now at (and the horrible ones that are coming) the plastic on the Classic becomes very firm and slick.

Firm is unavoidable in negative Celsius temps but the slipperiness / slickness I think ought to be avoidable (i.e. Rubber blend Challengers are still usable as are "Trilogy" Blend/Medium or Prime/Retro)
I'd just stick with that Aviar family. For something with a similar flight (tad more fade though) but better grip I'd use a Yeti Pro Aviar. If you wanted the same hand feel the XT Aviar P'nA is another option. If it's really cold the Omega Supersoft or R-Pro Aviar is going to firm up quite a bit but still give you some grip. I'd try one of those.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
I'm With Her
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 9,335
Niced 2,299 Times in 1,693 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I'd just stick with that Aviar family. For something with a similar flight (tad more fade though) but better grip I'd use a Yeti Pro Aviar. If you wanted the same hand feel the XT Aviar P'nA is another option. If it's really cold the Omega Supersoft or R-Pro Aviar is going to firm up quite a bit but still give you some grip. I'd try one of those.
I've said before (and elsewhere) that the only GStar disc I recommend is the GStar Aviar P&A. And in colder temps, that GStar would firm up nicely but still should be reasonably grippy. So maybe give that a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM
ManU's Avatar
ManU ManU is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary Canada
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,184
Niced 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

thanks for the input guys

Aviar P&A: I've tried 2 (DX and Glow DX). I didn't like them. Not as straight and higher drop rate than the Classic. I also didn't like the plastic. Maybe they were seasoned (softened and slightly concave) but the release didn't feel right.

For me the Classic is a better version.

XT plastic I have never liked. Tried it on some Colts a year or more ago.

Marshal: is a Challenger. I have a bunch of them in Hard and Prime. Prime works fine in winter. Stiff and firm but with a good tactile feel under the thumb. This is the putter I was using when I decided to see what else was available. (I tried PA2s and the Classic).

Warden: I used these years ago but had a different grip. I'm going to try them again in Prime.

I'll probably stick with the Classic for practice in my basement and at putting league and hope the plastic breaks into something less slick. I'll either use Rubber Blend Challys or Prime Warden/Marshal during my winter rounds.

I should have specified that it wasn't the stiffness of the Classic that bothered me (although I probably did say they get too stiff in the cold) but it was the slickness (in combination with how stiff they are) that bothered me.

I hate making the putting motion and having the disc slip out from under my thumb. Guaranteed miss.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 10-30-2018, 07:38 PM
RocBottom RocBottom is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Courses Played: 19
Posts: 565
Niced 56 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Have you tried a DD Deputy? I like them a lot in the classic blend. They remind me a lot of a classic aviar and have tons of glide.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:23 PM
jmbo jmbo is online now
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Centennial, CO
Years Playing: 3.7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 28
Niced 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
thanks for the input guys

Aviar P&A: I've tried 2 (DX and Glow DX). I didn't like them. Not as straight and higher drop rate than the Classic. I also didn't like the plastic. Maybe they were seasoned (softened and slightly concave) but the release didn't feel right.

For me the Classic is a better version.

XT plastic I have never liked. Tried it on some Colts a year or more ago.

Marshal: is a Challenger. I have a bunch of them in Hard and Prime. Prime works fine in winter. Stiff and firm but with a good tactile feel under the thumb. This is the putter I was using when I decided to see what else was available. (I tried PA2s and the Classic).

Warden: I used these years ago but had a different grip. I'm going to try them again in Prime.

I'll probably stick with the Classic for practice in my basement and at putting league and hope the plastic breaks into something less slick. I'll either use Rubber Blend Challys or Prime Warden/Marshal during my winter rounds.

I should have specified that it wasn't the stiffness of the Classic that bothered me (although I probably did say they get too stiff in the cold) but it was the slickness (in combination with how stiff they are) that bothered me.

I hate making the putting motion and having the disc slip out from under my thumb. Guaranteed miss.
I'd give the warlock a shot. I putted with beadless Aviars for a long time and had some of the same grip issues. I loved the feel but as soon as it got cold or dusty, I couldn't get a good grip and it messed with my release. Gateway's plastic is great and the s/ss/sss are all grippier than the stiff/soft dx on the classic/p&a. I'd probably recommend ss given that you want something firm, but if you can find a couple in the shop and hold them you'll get a much better feel for the firmness and grip in person.

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-31-2018, 03:32 PM
ManU's Avatar
ManU ManU is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary Canada
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,184
Niced 45 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBottom View Post
Have you tried a DD Deputy? I like them a lot in the classic blend. They remind me a lot of a classic aviar and have tons of glide.
I have tried the Deputy but I use Westside Swans for US putter drives. I did also putt with them for a while. For me the Swan was better than the Deputy. As it stand I wouldn't switch my Swans for Deputys.

I don't think I'll putt Swans again. Last time I did they seemed too fast for my style of putt. I tend to be nose down (something I'm trying to fix) and I always seemed to hit low.

@Jmbo
I plan to see my friend who retails and look through his Warlocks. Hopefully I can find 3 of similar feel.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM
GoobyPls's Avatar
GoobyPls GoobyPls is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,522
Niced 844 Times in 409 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU View Post
thanks for the input guys

Aviar P&A: I've tried 2 (DX and Glow DX). I didn't like them. Not as straight and higher drop rate than the Classic. I also didn't like the plastic. Maybe they were seasoned (softened and slightly concave) but the release didn't feel right.

For me the Classic is a better version.

XT plastic I have never liked. Tried it on some Colts a year or more ago.

Marshal: is a Challenger. I have a bunch of them in Hard and Prime. Prime works fine in winter. Stiff and firm but with a good tactile feel under the thumb. This is the putter I was using when I decided to see what else was available. (I tried PA2s and the Classic).

Warden: I used these years ago but had a different grip. I'm going to try them again in Prime.

I'll probably stick with the Classic for practice in my basement and at putting league and hope the plastic breaks into something less slick. I'll either use Rubber Blend Challys or Prime Warden/Marshal during my winter rounds.

I should have specified that it wasn't the stiffness of the Classic that bothered me (although I probably did say they get too stiff in the cold) but it was the slickness (in combination with how stiff they are) that bothered me.

I hate making the putting motion and having the disc slip out from under my thumb. Guaranteed miss.
If grip's your concern, try the Warden in Classic Blend. While I find the Classic Aviar and Warden pretty similar in flight, there's really no other plastic out there like Classic Blend for that grippy feel without being soft.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 AM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 536
Niced 510 Times in 212 Posts
Default

Classic Aviars have been my putting putter for a while. Also throw them a lot BH. Have stacks in various stages of wear.

Lately I've been working on throwing them FH and it has been a lot of fun. My most beat ones I start with a lot of hyzer and they flip up and ride a nice turn. Next ones hyzerflip to flat and just keep going straight with a flat landing. Newer ones can go straight or hold a nice glidey hyzer.

Anyone else like these for FH?

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:33 PM
ryanwilli7 ryanwilli7 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Urbandale, IA
Courses Played: 13
Posts: 198
Niced 34 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbo View Post
I'd give the warlock a shot. I putted with beadless Aviars for a long time and had some of the same grip issues. I loved the feel but as soon as it got cold or dusty, I couldn't get a good grip and it messed with my release. Gateway's plastic is great and the s/ss/sss are all grippier than the stiff/soft dx on the classic/p&a. I'd probably recommend ss given that you want something firm, but if you can find a couple in the shop and hold them you'll get a much better feel for the firmness and grip in person.
This is some good advice.
Reply With Quote
 

  #140  
Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Stable's Avatar
Stable Stable is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 32
Posts: 2,957
Niced 673 Times in 408 Posts
Default

In general do most find the Classic to feel more shallow than the P&A?

Current runs of the classic in DC are stiff?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Innova Classic Aviar Vs Mcpro Aviar UnguidedDG3 Discs 17 07-19-2018 12:22 AM
CLassic Aviar BradenGriffin Newbie Intros and Q&A 4 11-23-2015 12:06 AM
Classic Aviar BradenGriffin Discs 1 11-22-2015 12:56 PM
classic aviar adam lewis Discs 3 02-18-2012 06:12 PM
Is there any difference between the aviar classic and aviar putter? KNole Discs 5 01-09-2011 09:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.