Old 05-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 462 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Weird that he lists Rock Ridge Park as one of his favorite courses, when that's public but also doesn't have red tees, and is in fact still incredibly challenging from the whites. Not sure how to square that with his complaints about Ashe County here.
I would say even more telling is that he rated Kentwood 3.5 (.5 higher than Ashe, the top rated course in the state) and identified that fact that it is always crowded as proof that it is a good course. Fact is, it's always crowded because of the close proximity to NC State. Don't get me wrong, Kentwood is a fun little pitch and putt but it doesn't even compare to Ashe County.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Niced 115 Times in 63 Posts

Independence Lake has 3 tees (red, white, and blue) and I have never seen anyone play from a red tee, granted they are natural tees and the others are concrete. I'd consider no red tees a positive since it would keep away the more casual type players.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 332
Niced 292 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I can think of a fair number of courses with 3 tee pads:

Valley Springs, Cedar Rock, Rockness Monster (actually has 4), Sasquatch, Iron Hill (4), Tom Triplett (4) just to name a few. Granted they are not the majority but they are not that unusual.
You listed 4 in NC. Basically we can think of 5 courses out of approx. 250 in the Carolinas that have three tees pads. By his logic, 98% of courses are getting docked a point.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 135
Niced 1,000 Times in 531 Posts

I like height mandos and was just talking about them with someone the other day.

We played Santa Cruz River Park on a trip, which has a few triple mandos created by placing a soccer goal frame about 40' or so in front of the tee to prevent any sort of high shot.

I thought for a mostly open desert course it was a great idea to break up the monotony of big hyzer, big hyzer, big hyzer, or to force a more controlled shot on a long hole (take away the giant max D flex shot).
Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
You listed 4 in NC. Basically we can think of 5 courses out of approx. 250 in the Carolinas that have three tees pads. By his logic, 98% of courses are getting docked a point.
I can certainly come up with many more than that but I am at work and have to do some billable work. Triplett is in Savannah, does that not count as "Carolinas"?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
I like height mandos and was just talking about them with someone the other day.

We played Santa Cruz River Park on a trip, which has a few triple mandos created by placing a soccer goal frame about 40' or so in front of the tee to prevent any sort of high shot.

I thought for a mostly open desert course it was a great idea to break up the monotony of big hyzer, big hyzer, big hyzer, or to force a more controlled shot on a long hole (take away the giant max D flex shot).
There is a "mouth of the Dragon" 4 way mando (complete with fangs) at Rockness Monster in Roxboro NC that is pretty fun.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Apex, Buckhorn (4 supposedly), Creekside, Leigh Farm (4), Wendell are 5 more in NC with 3 or more tee pads.

I am not supporting the reviewers logic. In fact the simple fact he rated Kentwood higher than Ashe county makes me fel justified ignoring anything he has to say.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
I can certainly come up with many more than that but I am at work and have to do some billable work. Triplett is in Savannah, does that not count as "Carolinas"?
You could list 25 course (10%) or 50 (20%) and it doesn’t change my point. Courses with 3 pads are the exception not the rule. And to discredit an overwhelming majority is an issue.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
You could list 25 course (10%) or 50 (20%) and it doesn’t change my point. Courses with 3 pads are the exception not the rule. And to discredit an overwhelming majority is an issue.
My original response was to your statement that you could only think of 1 course (Crooked Creek) with 3 tee pads in South Carolina. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

My point was there are a good number in the region. I agree they are the exception not the rule but saying there aren't any in the region is not accurate.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
My original response was to your statement that you could only think of 1 course (Crooked Creek) with 3 tee pads in South Carolina. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

My point was there are a good number in the region. I agree they are the exception not the rule but saying there aren't any in the region is not accurate.
Never said there weren’t any nor implied there weren’t any..