Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 216
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 345 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I used to be completely immune. I didn't get poison ivy one time in my first 2-3 years of play. And then I went down out of town, I think to Columbus or Norwalk, and rolled around in some getting some discs and suddenly - I'm allergic to poison ivy. I don't know what it was about that out of town PI that suddenly activated my sensitivity but hollly crap it kills me now. I've definitely had a few periods where I got it on my waistband and needed to resort to steroids because it just spread all the way around my torso. Its almost two weeks of itching for me.
From the reading I've been doing, nobody is really immune. Even if you don't show symptoms you can become allergic through continued exposure. This is part of the reason I still try my best to avoid contact with poison ivy/oak even though I'm not currently allergic to it either.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 148
Niced 291 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
From the reading I've been doing, nobody is really immune. Even if you don't show symptoms you can become allergic through continued exposure. This is part of the reason I still try my best to avoid contact with poison ivy/oak even though I'm not currently allergic to it either.
Immune wasn't the correct word, medically. But - it was the effective effect at the time - so I used it colloquially. I would walk right into it to grab other peoples' discs and did so for years... until I couldn't anymore.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 189 Times in 101 Posts

In my experience, no problems with permethrin staining/discoloring clothes, fwiw.

Chigger bites are worst first time around when you don't know what it is and you scratch them....six weeks of agony. Don't scratch and it's only a week or two of agony.

DEET kills chiggers on contact, not certain if permethrin does...which may be another good reason (along with mosquitoes) to double up.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,656 Times in 1,272 Posts

Like Juke, I've had no issues with permetherin discoloring my clothes.
But as ru4por stated: the directions say to spot test an inconspicuous area first.
Some materials/dyes may be more susceptible than others.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,453 Times in 1,142 Posts

Clear nail polish isn't supposed to work for chiggers but IME it's really the best thing I've found for it. I think keeping the bite from exposure to air greatly reduces the itch factor maybe.

I've read that spraying DEET and sunscreen on your skin together is very bad for you.

I've also read that nobody is really immune to poison ivy and your tolerance will decrease with increased exposure. But I'm that guy that can walk through it all day and get hardly rash which is weird b/c when I was a kid I basically rolled in the crap while playing with a kickball and got lit up. Why my tolerance is better now is anybody's guess. I do know that it makes a big difference with time of day/season etc b/c PI isn't laden with urushiol all the time. Poison Oak and Sumac will still light me up big time though. Stupid plants.

I haven't had any issues with permethrin discoloring clothes but I usually just spray it on work jeans and cotton t-shirts.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:48 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 220
Niced 189 Times in 101 Posts

Sunscreen is a government conspiracy to prevent us from getting enough vitamin D...

Jukeshoe: <----[Confused as to which thread this he's in]
Old 05-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 108
Niced 41 Times in 15 Posts

So another tip I can give I learned the hard way yesterday. Make sure your shirt is tucked in. Why? I was scoping out some new holes through some fairly wooded parts of a park and I felt something on my lower back. Yup it was a deer tick. Even though I was fully covered up, because my shirt was not tucked in, one those of little f*****rs had made its way onto my back. Fortunately, no bite. But to make sure there weren't any others, I bought a hand mirror and then stood in front of a bathroom mirror to do a final check. When did being outdoors become so dangerous?

Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,354 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
I used to be completely immune. I didn't get poison ivy one time in my first 2-3 years of play. And then I went down out of town, I think to Columbus or Norwalk, and rolled around in some getting some discs and suddenly - I'm allergic to poison ivy. I don't know what it was about that out of town PI that suddenly activated my sensitivity but hollly crap it kills me now. I've definitely had a few periods where I got it on my waistband and needed to resort to steroids because it just spread all the way around my torso. Its almost two weeks of itching for me.
I grew up on a farm and in the woods but never had poison ivy until I was 28. At that point i got fairly highly allergic for 6-7 years. Since then I have remained mildly allergic but nowhere near as bad.