#21  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Disc Golf Doctor Disc Golf Doctor is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CT
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 133
Niced 118 Times in 50 Posts
Default

At least it is your non-throwing arm. It is not a fun process, but you should be able to get back to disc golf without any significant issues, it will just take a while. It shouldn't take a full year to get back. Certainly your surgeon and PT will give you more specific guidelines on return.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,560
Niced 557 Times in 359 Posts
Default

I manage worker's comp claims for a living - I see a lot of RC tears from falls unfortunately. I get the impression you're pretty spry? I bet things will turn out ok as long as you don't have to work above shoulder height; that seems to be the first thing that goes out the window.

I would encourage you to listen to the ortho and PT, but keep advocating for yourself! Ask them questions, let them know your goals, and see how quick they will allow you to start home range of motion exercises. Adhesive capsulitis (frozen elbow/shoulder) seems to be a real kick in the ass. I am fortunate not to ever have had to deal with this crap personally, but I feel your hurt
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:48 AM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 1,560
Niced 557 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor View Post
At least it is your non-throwing arm. It is not a fun process, but you should be able to get back to disc golf without any significant issues, it will just take a while. It shouldn't take a full year to get back. Certainly your surgeon and PT will give you more specific guidelines on return.
I defer to this guy but it sounds like we're mostly on the same page anyway - I AM A LAYMAN
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,112
Niced 1,189 Times in 464 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

The frozen shoulder is a biotch but you will learn to adapt if that happens. Recovery is going to suck somewhat but in the long run you'll also adapt.

Quote:
I would encourage you to listen to the ortho and PT, but keep advocating for yourself!
I completely agree with this also.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:13 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 645
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts
Default

So update on all of this:
I underwent open reduction internal fixation surgery to repair an avulsion fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus along with a rotator cuff repair on 9/20.

And apparently I'm a total lightweight with respect to anaesthesia and was crazy nauseous from it.
And dang, nerve blocks are... wow. An experience.
And also, I don't really respond to narcotics... I must have responded to the fentanyl during surgery because I remember nothing until I woke up and then they put a nerve block in me. But once that wore off--and boy was that noticeable when it did--they put me on Roxicodone and an hour later, I was asking when that was supposed to take effect and they hit me with a small dose of morphine through IV and I was like, "cool, this should be like Trainspotting and I'm going to totally feel this" and again.. nothing. In fact, they put me on the oxy every four hours, but I didn't actually feel any pain relief until I added Tylenol to it. So after a day, I just skipped the oxy and have only been on Tylenol (and now Aleve) since the day after I came home, which is nice because I could skip out on stool softeners and I can drive, which is convenient.

I have to go to my postop meeting with the surgeon on Wednesday, where I guess I'll finally get to learn what the long term plan for recovery is. I'm hoping that the 4-5 months in this new sling was an overly conservative estimate.

Incidentally, I was really itching to throw today, so I putted a bit and then took my stack of sols and started a game of just flicking them off my finger (no body rotation, heavily reduced arm motion, about 60-80% power just coming from wrist and finger flick) and found that I could still get some decent distance and shot shape from them
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 AM
wolfmandragon's Avatar
wolfmandragon wolfmandragon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, TN
Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,823
Niced 1,327 Times in 765 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
So update on all of this:
I underwent open reduction internal fixation surgery to repair an avulsion fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus along with a rotator cuff repair on 9/20.

And apparently I'm a total lightweight with respect to anaesthesia and was crazy nauseous from it.
And dang, nerve blocks are... wow. An experience.
And also, I don't really respond to narcotics... I must have responded to the fentanyl during surgery because I remember nothing until I woke up and then they put a nerve block in me. But once that wore off--and boy was that noticeable when it did--they put me on Roxicodone and an hour later, I was asking when that was supposed to take effect and they hit me with a small dose of morphine through IV and I was like, "cool, this should be like Trainspotting and I'm going to totally feel this" and again.. nothing. In fact, they put me on the oxy every four hours, but I didn't actually feel any pain relief until I added Tylenol to it. So after a day, I just skipped the oxy and have only been on Tylenol (and now Aleve) since the day after I came home, which is nice because I could skip out on stool softeners and I can drive, which is convenient.

I have to go to my postop meeting with the surgeon on Wednesday, where I guess I'll finally get to learn what the long term plan for recovery is. I'm hoping that the 4-5 months in this new sling was an overly conservative estimate.

Incidentally, I was really itching to throw today, so I putted a bit and then took my stack of sols and started a game of just flicking them off my finger (no body rotation, heavily reduced arm motion, about 60-80% power just coming from wrist and finger flick) and found that I could still get some decent distance and shot shape from them
Talk to your Doc about the NSAIDs. Whilst they can make you fell better, they will slow down your healing. Maybe that's all you can do, but at least see if there is an alternative( like a combo of non NSAID painkillers and proteolytic enzymes).

I had a complete AC separation, with tendon, ligament and muscle tears, when I was a teenager. Take your time healing; being young and dumb I tried to play frisbee a few weeks after the screw was removed from my shoulder. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever done. It set me back a good while and I am not for sure that it did not do permanent damage.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 AM
zgmc's Avatar
zgmc zgmc is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 864
Niced 155 Times in 83 Posts
Default

I know exactly what’s going to happen. You will convince yourself you are healed enough to play. you will tear your shoulder up again, setting you back another 6 months.

Did you injure yourself at work?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-30-2019, 08:54 AM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 645
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
I know exactly what’s going to happen. You will convince yourself you are healed enough to play. you will tear your shoulder up again, setting you back another 6 months.

Did you injure yourself at work?
No, definitely not a work injury. I was out with some folks helping to build and put together an obstacle course for kids. I lost my footing and fell off the top of one of the structures about 7-8 feet while inspecting it.

I don't really anticipate convincing myself that I'm healed at any point. I still grill by time and temperatures, not feel. Doc says don't move the shoulder, I will keep it immobilized until further notice. At the same time, I AM testing the boundaries of what I can actually do. At 43, I have no desire to extend the timeline of recovery, but I also see no need to do less than I am able simply out of fear/anxiety of exacerbating the recovery. I guess what I'm saying is, I am trying to be sensible, not reckless

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 645
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Talk to your Doc about the NSAIDs. Whilst they can make you fell better, they will slow down your healing. Maybe that's all you can do, but at least see if there is an alternative( like a combo of non NSAID painkillers and proteolytic enzymes).

I had a complete AC separation, with tendon, ligament and muscle tears, when I was a teenager. Take your time healing; being young and dumb I tried to play frisbee a few weeks after the screw was removed from my shoulder. That was one of the stupidest things I have ever done. It set me back a good while and I am not for sure that it did not do permanent damage.

Best of luck
I don't know of these proteolytic enzymes. I like the Aleve because I take one in the morning when I get up with my zyrtec and a multivitamin and another at dinner. I am actually skipping this morning's dose to see if I can get off that too to give my stomach a break, maybe go back to Tylenol for the day if it hurts too much. But yeah, was planning to talk to doc about the nsaids on Wednesday when I see him for the follow up, thanks

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 PM
dalewallace dalewallace is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I had a similar injury.. Not sure if it was from golfing or working out but I felt pain lifting my left arm only beyond shoulder height. Went to see my general doctor and did some motor exercises. He definitely noticed weakness in my left shoulder relative to my right. Didn't think it was major and suggested a possible strain. Told me to lay off of doing anything that required over the shoulder movement and do some excerises.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoulder pain throwing RHFH but not RHBH! joshuajames Technique & Strategy 13 07-20-2013 11:36 PM
Need these gone, I'm broke.. Skankin77 The Marketplace 15 10-31-2012 09:02 PM
throwing from other side of disc = shoulder pain for me bbails Technique & Strategy 12 07-07-2011 01:07 AM
Is throwing forehand bad for the shoulder? mk.ultra Technique & Strategy 18 09-22-2010 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.