Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,030 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The level of "journalism" there has taken a nosedive since Steve left imo. So many 2 paragraph clickbait "articles".
Man, this is bad.

"(North Carolina) hasn’t seen a major tournament within its borders since the 2012 PDGA Professional World Championship."

This is very incorrect.

Even if you don’t consider the 2018 Am worlds a part of this due to the amateur only status, there have been two Tim Selinske US Masters held in NC since then which do offer pro divisions.

At least when the journalism standards were low in the topic at hand, they were correct. This was was just flat out wrong.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/...0bSLDXrBkbi4YU
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 295 Times in 160 Posts

I would imagine this is also a by-product of allowing first round designer cards. Those on designer cards are insulated from the chance to play with lower rated players R1.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 36.2
Courses Played: 2
Niced 87 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
True, good point. Allowed in all A/B/C tiers, per the Competition Manual section 2.04.A. (Not in Majors as you said, also not expressly allowed in NTs nor, interestingly, X-tiers.)

Whoops! You're right, I was mistaken on that point. Thanks for the link; very illuminating.

While we're in the spirit of acknowledging misinformation, I feel compelled to point out that the bolded is not true. There are a lot of sanctioned tournaments where you can't play Rec, even with a rating under 900. One example would be the 2019 Professional Disc Golf World Championships.

Lloyd Weema obviously wanted to play in that event, as evidenced by the fact that he shelled out $250 to participate, despite the objectively low odds that he'd win or even get into the cash. But there were 93 players that did win cash in the MPO division (the only division available to Lloyd). And among those 93 players that cashed, I'd be surprised if many of them complained that the purse was too big.

And speaking of Pro Worlds this year, here's an underappreciated set of facts: Lloyd Weema placed ahead of 8 competitors in the MPO division. Eight. And those 8 people had ratings that ranged from 927 to 996. So maybe this rating threshold of 900 shouldn't be as precious as some are making it out to be.
Seriously, finishing ahead someone who withdrew is not considered beating them. They were all well well ahead of Weema when they withdrew. he beat no one. Just as he has beat no one in any of the events he has played this year. Last in every event by a large margin except for people that withdrew.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 61
Niced 166 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
No one competing for a prestigious championship should have to compete along with someone with a recreational level game. It really is that simple. There is no "right" to experience elite level competition for people who are in no way elite. The people getting all butt hurt are the problem with the game. You folks just aren't thinking clearly. Probably the same people that don't think leagues should have any precedence over their right to play exactly when they want.

The answer to all of this of course, is to hold golf-style pro-ams before each of the big tourneys. Then those who want the 'experience" of playing with a top pro can get their satisfaction.
A prestigious championship in the sport of disc golf? And that isn't to take away anything from anyone who has won an NT or a World's. But this isn't exactly the Stanley Freakin Cup or a Super Bowl they are playing for, either.

The term 'elite' is subjective at best. Heck, even the term 'professional disc golfer' is subjective at best.

Last edited by puck'n'disc5; 10-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 534
Niced 166 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Seriously, finishing ahead someone who withdrew is not considered beating them. They were all well well ahead of Weema when they withdrew. he beat no one. Just as he has beat no one in any of the events he has played this year. Last in every event by a large margin except for people that withdrew.
I played Advanced with a Rec rating and cashed due to so many players dropping out after the first round due to cold and rainy weather. Why did I cash if I did not beat those players?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,007 Times in 653 Posts

Why is the guy who has been playing less than a year the one who is most passionate about this?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,502 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Why is the guy who has been playing less than a year the one who is most passionate about this?
He's got that #growthesport fever, man.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,578 Times in 2,410 Posts

Rating went from 840s to almost 900 in his first year... seems pretty serious to me.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 150
Niced 386 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I would imagine this is also a by-product of allowing first round designer cards. Those on designer cards are insulated from the chance to play with lower rated players R1.
That was mentioned by one of the players who spoke on the topic. "Paul never has to deal with them because he's always being filmed on the feature card, but I've had them on my card before and I think it's an unfair disadvantage." No malice or snarkiness intended.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-16-2019, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 194
Niced 146 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Rating went from 840s to almost 900 in his first year... seems pretty serious to me.
Or he was playing left handed when he started