Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,139 Times in 737 Posts

Depends on what you want it to do.

Envy is great at holding a line with but much turnand a soft fade. Scale is great and except for its thumb groove feels a lot like a Judge, just a harder fade. Serpent will neither turn nor fade and is a lot of fun to throw.

Recently I have been enjoying the Yikun Hammer. It throws a bit like an Envy, takes a ton to turn it and the fade while present isn’t too intense. It’s got a funky raised thumb track that some may not love but I have enjoyed it a lot.

Harp is another great option, but it’s near midrange speed.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
I totally understand that. Which is why it's hard to recommend putters, even for throwing - there is a very real element of comfort with feel that you have to take into consideration.
Yea that makes sense. I guess it's going to be the ole guess and check method lol
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 526 Times in 300 Posts

For driving with putters I find its more about plastic feel than the putter itself. I switched from a Pure to a Maiden thinking it was about depth, the maiden is VERY shallow. After tossing them a bit I've come to the conclusion what I want is probably a Pure in more premium plastic.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 142 Times in 111 Posts

I think the best thing to think about in throwing putters is stall speed-basically, how it handles high speed vs low speed flight.

I used to throw proxy/envy, and still rotate them in the bag. But I recently switched to profits, a slower, bigger beaded putter, and I’m much better on my upshot-shorter Drive game. Slower putters tend to be more predictable throughout a slower flight than faster putters do when slowed down.
I can’t put my Profits as far as my proxy/envy (I ripped my proxy too far on a 340 foot woods hole... missed the putt, tragic) but I like them better for shorter holes. They have a different “push-glide” at the end of their flight as opposed to a dump where they fade and gradually fall. If you’re looking for that looo big bead and slower, with usually a taller height; if you want something fast that you want to rip like a driver, something with a (generally) smaller/no bead and a shallower depth.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-30-2019, 07:46 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 105 Times in 67 Posts

As stated above you could start with a low profile putter. A gateway chief, gateway Shaman, Innova Colt, Innova Stud, etc. These discs are slower than mids but are fast for putters.
The feel will be more familiar.

Last edited by thechamp; 10-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Niced 153 Times in 114 Posts

Sounds like a grip issue..
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 PM

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerc View Post
Sounds like a grip issue..
Care to elaborate? That was one thing I thought it could be. Not so much that the grip im using is wrong, but that i havent found one I like. When I'm putting I prefer a 4 finger fan grip but driving with them I'm not sure. Next time I get oyt I'm thinking about trying more of a control grip.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 48.1
Courses Played: 60
Niced 384 Times in 211 Posts

5 of some non-extreme putter in a base plastic. greatly enhances practice opportunity. i firmly believe work with a pile of same discs help hone what one can do with disc in general and then apply when trying other molds.

a way i get to know putters and grip is keeping a couple in reach of my drivers seat to fondle on the road. helps for impromptu gotta throw a frisbee sessions wherever i may be.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 288 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Care to elaborate? That was one thing I thought it could be. Not so much that the grip im using is wrong, but that i havent found one I like. When I'm putting I prefer a 4 finger fan grip but driving with them I'm not sure. Next time I get oyt I'm thinking about trying more of a control grip.
Have you tried just using the fan grip, or just a modified fan grip? I pretty much use the same grip I use on midsized (yep, a modified fan grip).. I can not power grip a putter, uh uh.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Niced 153 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I think the MJ fan grip (with the pointer and pinky tucked like a power grip then the middle 2 fanned) is the best grip to learn driving with putters. I then moved to the birdie grip after 8 months (MJ grip but just middle finger fanned). You will lost some distance but control will increase. Distance will come back with practice.