Old 12-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 168 Posts

Would a guy like Brodie turn down a $1M+ contract if it was offered to him to promote a brand?

He could finish dead last in every tournament he entered, and still be the most known player out there.

I'm not a big Brodie fan, but numbers are numbers. He has them.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
Your passionate response pretty much ignores the criteria I established.
No - I read it. Same response.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I don't think it needs to be a current DG player. The word clout has been tossed out there, and I agree.

What would happen if someone like Brodie decided to give disc golf a serious try, and bring his 2.2 million YouTube subscribers with him? I love watching Paul play, but does he have the audience to compete with Brodie? At 24K subscribers, he's not even in the same ballpark. All the current DG pros combined can't match Brodie's exposure.

This business is about money, and what company would turn down 2.2 million viewers?
This is interesting. A person with limited disc golf skill, but could make a company a lot of money.

Now, a person walking into any manufacturer with 2.2 million viewers would definitely have leverage when negotiating.

Wonder if Brodie and PMcBeth both walked in at the same time and asked for he same sponsor contract, who would they go with?

*Not a Brodie fan - like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 656 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Would a guy like Brodie turn down a $1M+ contract if it was offered to him to promote a brand?

He could finish dead last in every tournament he entered, and still be the most known player out there.

I'm not a big Brodie fan, but numbers are numbers. He has them.
My question tho is why would a dg company give that kind of contract to a guy who might finish dead last? How does that showcase their products? That doesn't make business sense. What percentage of his followers are going to go buy company x discs because they sponsored him? Betcha it's not worth the investment

Last edited by jakebake91; 12-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

If popularity was all that mattered, Michael Jordan should have made millions playing baseball, right?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
My question tho is why would a dg company give that kind of contract to a guy who might finish dead last? How does that showcase their products? That doesn't make business sense. What percentage of his followers are going to go buy company x discs because they sponsored him? Betcha it's not worth the investment
Good points, but consider:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. never won a Championship at NASCAR's highest level during his entire career, and has a net worth of $400M.

During Jr.'s career Jimmie Johnson won 7 Championships and is worth $120M.

Why?

Because during Johnson's career, Jr. was ranked the most popular driver for 15 years straight.

I'm sure there are marketing people on this forum that can explain it better than me, but I don't think Championships mean that much to the average consumer anymore. We live in a social media age.

I still don't understand the Kardashians, but we all know who they are.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
If popularity was all that mattered, Michael Jordan should have made millions playing baseball, right?
But he made millions endorsing products. That's all a sponsorship is really.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Par Member

Quote:
I have the same questions and this would be a first in our sport.

I do not know enough about mass numbers of viewers turning into $ to take a guess, but it is interesting.

In the same vein, wonder if a company putting a very reasonable investment in the "Underdog", think LLoyd Weema, would pay off?

Hypothetical - Pay Lloyd's entry fees and lodging for 15 of the largest events = $5000ish' - could they sell over that in signature Weema' plastic?

I guess it is a risk - sponsoring Weema may backfire and be seen as diminishing the "Quality" of that brand or people may see the FUN in the idea and jump on board. Maybe the same applies to the risk of signing a person like Brodie.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Good points, but consider:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. never won a Championship at NASCAR's highest level during his entire career, and has a net worth of $400M.

During Jr.'s career Jimmie Johnson won 7 Championships and is worth $120M.

Why?

Because during Johnson's career, Jr. was ranked the most popular driver for 15 years straight.

I'm sure there are marketing people on this forum that can explain it better than me, but I don't think Championships mean that much to the average consumer anymore. We live in a social media age.

I still don't understand the Kardashians, but we all know who they are.
If Dale Jrs daddy was anybody else, he wouldn't have made a 1/4 of that. He was so highly over rated as an actual driver. This is what drove a lot of his endorsement deals that netted him so much. I was a huge NASCAR fan during that time.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
But he made millions endorsing products. That's all a sponsorship is really.
Yes, but not from the team he played for. Which is what we are talking about. He wasn't good enough to compete at the highest level, therefore, had no place in baseball.