Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-12-2019, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,360 Times in 961 Posts

One of the all time greats in Virginia used to compare the backhand to "b*tch slapping a midget".
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 168 Posts

Standstills while knocking down a door with your elbow worked for me. I got it from Eagle in a video he did with Simon.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:36 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for all the great tips!

I still feel like there's something missing from a universal introduction to the technique. Do you agree?
Like there should be a way that is the best way to teach a beginner. When you are teaching math you won't go "So this subtraction, and then there's also this thing over here called multiplication, and this right here is the number five, and here's a graph by the way..."

I want to find THE best way of teaching beginners to play.

Something like this:

1. A good beginner friendly grip that's relaxed until the hit, with the thumb pressing down on the inside edge of the rim making a connection point with the index finger. Hand on the outside of the disc through the whole following motions.
2. Stand still with feet apart in an athletic stance. Feet closed in regards to the targeted line. Front foot slightly adjusted so that the front heel line up with the back toes.
3. Reach back and wide so that there's no risk of rounding. Relax and let your shoulders and hips follow and coil up in a loaded state. Don't turn too much. No need to keep the eyes on target at this point. The disc should be out so that it's not blocked by the body.
4. ??? (Here's where I feel my confidence start to dip. I know the rest of the technique from here on, but it's just so much to explain. I don't want to go back and say "change this, change that". I want the rest of the explanation to be precise and easy to understand from the very start. Imagining holding on to the door frame at this point might do it. Or elbowing down a door in front and slightly to the left. I feel like if I go in to too much detail saying stuff like what angle the shoulder and elbow should be in or try to explain the power pocket I will lose the interest of whoever I'm explaining to.)

If anyone feel like they could add/subtract from the list or change something up please let me know. Together we might make a good 5-point list that will be the basics for teaching the technique to any beginner or when explaining to a big group of people.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 287 Times in 168 Posts

This isn't really much of a technique tip, but I find it helps to have 5 -10 identical beginner friendly discs on hand. Something like a DX Shark is great. That way they can fire off 10 in a row and see how little changes impact each result, and gives you a chance to evaluate what they are doing.

It's tough to make things stick when you throw one...go get it...throw it again...go get it, etc.,etc..

Old 12-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 24
Niced 526 Times in 300 Posts

I think a second part of this is also to be prepared with a selection of discs that will work.

If someone gets the bug and wants to learn more then we can start working on good habits but to start and get a fun round in 3 discs tops.

A putter. Usually one of my regulars.
A mid. Beat up Roc/Buzz/Comet something well used and probably understable and glidey.

For a driver? I will make sure I have one that matches the persons technique NOW after a few throws trying to get them to pull through flat, point their thumb at the target and follow through and a LOT of the stuff already said. BUT disc choice? If I am bringing someone out who's natural instinct is to yank an anny line over or wants to throw baseball overhand or sidearm I have a light but beefy Firebird. Some people the Comet might be the best disc they throw, stick with that one. Some can get away with a heavy but slightly understable disc like an FD or maybe that dx leopard is best. I try and bring a good varied selection along those lines and only do a small amount of adjustments to get the best flight out of their instinctual motion. If they are hooked at that point we can talk form and we can get them filmed and here.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,716 Times in 750 Posts

I live near two 9 hole pitch and putts that I practice/play all the time and I'm always running into beginners and in the last couple of years I have spent a lot of time teaching newer players how to throw and play.

I always start by showing them the stack/klimo grip, not a power grip, we're looking for them to gain control, not power.
I show them a proper stance and I don't emphasize big reach-backs, keep it short and compact. To give them a clue as to how it should feel, I explain the door jamb, elbow some one or even the starting a lawn mower. I also don't teach a runup in the beginning, throwing from a standstill is important.

One of the biggest problems I encounter is they all want to lift their head and watch the disc before they have even released it. The best way I have learned to keep them from doing that and rounding is to; have them keep their head neutral, not down, not up and 90 degrees from the target, then when they reach back to watch their disc out of the corner of their eye. Is it flat, tilted, curled up or are they rounding? They will see it, then I tell them to keep watching the disc until it gets to the pocket and when they follow through with their throw, the head turns automatic along with their body and the disc will be in easy sight. This has helped a lot until they get used to how it all feels.

Every one is different; I had a new player that after a few rounds on the same day was throwing a Leopard further than I can, and another after a few hours could only manage a 70ft throw, but it was at least straight. Some people are just naturals.

Some tips I can give;
Only play with putters and mids.

Play the same discs that you are teaching them with. Nothing seems more frustrating than to watch someone throw their Destroyer and then be the one to throw 5 times to reach the drive. There is time later to let them try drivers and show what they can do and also to show them that they may not/or don't have the power yet. They will feel far more inspired rather than defeated. When you are throwing the same discs, it just seems to relax newer players more, from my experience anyway.

Play actual rounds and explain things as shots arise or as learning progresses. Nothing makes a beginner more elated than when they make their first honest birdie, even if it's only a 150ft hole. Playing rounds makes it more interesting.

Teach them to read their throws a little. Did it pop up and hyzer out? nose up, rose out of their stance trying to watch it?
Shanked it hard; did you round or get too wristy? That kind of thing. Let them know that the disc doesn't lie, it went where and how you threw it.

And above all else, make it fun!

I carry a box of putters and mids that I give away when I encounter newer players who want to learn, and thanks to another DGCR member, he has added to my stash so I can continue doing so. This has allowed me to help along a lot of new player who show up to the course with nothing but their brand new Champion Daedalus and Thunderbird (actually happened) and teach them to step back and start slow.

Good luck, I hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Keller; 12-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 858 Times in 596 Posts

Wow Keller is a tough act to follow. One of the things I have found handy with kids is "crush the can" . They already like crushing pop cans so I say pretend to crush the can with your front foot when you throw. Yes it is bassackwards from the crush the can drill.

Second thing I have found useful is to get them to leave room behind the teepad for a follow through, I encourage them to learn how to release the energy they build up rather than a dead stop. Especially so they don't hurt themselves, let alone trip on the pad. I do this with "follow through on your throw, and don't crowd the teepad"

Lastly I've found the Beato method kind of useful too if they are past the "novice" stage. I tell them to turn sideways and elbow the door down/ basket whatever.

So crush the can, elbow the door, follow through

Old 12-14-2019, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 220
Niced 3,070 Times in 1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
One of the things I have found handy with kids is "crush the can" . They already like crushing pop cans so I say pretend to crush the can with your front foot when you throw. Yes it is bassackwards from the crush the can drill.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 5
Niced 858 Times in 596 Posts

Haha I was editing it, then the burgers were burning and I figured post it.. You're right is not backwards just that I don't go into enough detail with them about what's happening. Just a couple simple things they can start with. Most people start slapping the front of their foot down... and I'm going to leave it at: "My burgers were Burning!... Man"

Old 12-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 34
Niced 152 Times in 109 Posts

When my wife first started, I purposely held off giving too much instruction because she is the type of person who tunes that out. She is very much a learner by doing. I showed her the power and fan grips, told her to try to keep the disc flat and to throw it hard and follow through (most beginners are pretty tentative) and above all, have fun and don't worry about your score. I gave her a Judge and a beat-in X Comet to throw and by the second hole, she was getting them out to 200 feet sometimes but mostly 150-175ish. I praised her good throws, downplayed her bad ones, and did not provide any additional instruction unless she asked for it. Too much instruction can often hinder rather than help. Guess it depends on the person trying to learn.