Arbitrary List, buuut.....

Arizona: Arizona Snowbowl (3.88)
Colorado: Bucksnort DGC (4.77)
Illinois: Fairfield Park (4.59)
Indiana: Prides Creek State Park (4.45)
Iowa: Wildcat Bluff (4.64)
Kansas: Jones Park- West (4.21)
Kentucky: Idlewild (4.76)
Michigan: Flip City Disc Golf Park (4.84)
Minnesota: Blue Ribbon Pines DGC (4.71)
Missouri: Harmony Bends DGC (4.90)
Nebraska: Cottonmill DGC (4.06)
Nevada: Zephyr Cove Park (4.31)
New Mexico: Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort (4.38)
North Carolina: Ashe County Park (4.47)
Oklahoma: The Lodge - Island Course (4.50)
South Dakota: Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf (4.57)
Tennessee: Harmon Hills (4.73)
Wisconsin: Rollin Ridge (4.79)
Wyoming: Casper DGC (3.77)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-05-2020, 08:08 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 893 Times in 742 Posts

I was just thinking if South Dakota did not have Spearfish Canyon, South Dakota might not have a top course. I mean both Lake Richmond State Rec course and Tuthill are in need of work, The Powerhouse ally in my area is super flat though in good shape. I think the only one that would stand out would be the 18 hole Pageant Hill near Custer.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-06-2020, 02:18 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 296 Times in 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I was just thinking if South Dakota did not have Spearfish Canyon, South Dakota might not have a top course. I mean both Lake Richmond State Rec course and Tuthill are in need of work, The Powerhouse ally in my area is super flat though in good shape. I think the only one that would stand out would be the 18 hole Pageant Hill near Custer.
So have you played Spearfish Canyon?
Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 446
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

I'm currently at 20/50 here. I should probably frolf more.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 25
Niced 893 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
So have you played Spearfish Canyon?
No, but I have been in the same area running before the course was even made when the Ski trails were what I was running on. That was in the 2000's in 2006 when my dad and I had just started running.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 702
Niced 1,786 Times in 808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Agreed, except I would put Camden II (the Dark-side) over Canyons. A couple of Peoria courses might even be ahead of Fairfield as well.
These courses are all closely rated for different reasons. I've suspected for a while that many players enjoy courses with specific layouts that are the same any time you visit just a bit more than courses with alternate pin placements where you may not get to play some of the hole configurations you prefer depending on where the pins have been set. In addition, unless there are specific named pin combo layouts like Camden II (kudos to Sprague), you won't know as well how your score compares when the pins are continuously moved in different combinations.

When you design to accommodate a wide range of skills using multiple tee and pin configurations, there will always be compromises that diminish the fun factor when some combos are not as good as others on a hole or players have an extra long walk from the previous pin to their tee.

While overall these might be minor factors, when you're rating the top extreme courses, little things might be enough to make a 0.5 disc difference. We were fortunate to have enough extra baskets to do the innovative approach at Fairfield where we had two tees or pins on each hole of the front nine, then the White level course routing diverges from the Gold course routing halfway through adding more unique holes for the white layout separate from the gold layout. I think players may feel they have two completely different fixed tee/pin courses at this site versus just a second 18-hole shorter layout. No question that Camden II and Canyons have better auxiliary facilities for hosting tournaments than Fairfield. Hopefully that will eventually be improved.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 716 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
These courses are all closely rated for different reasons. I've suspected for a while that many players enjoy courses with specific layouts that are the same any time you visit just a bit more than courses with alternate pin placements where you may not get to play some of the hole configurations you prefer depending on where the pins have been set. In addition, unless there are specific named pin combo layouts like Camden II (kudos to Sprague), you won't know as well how your score compares when the pins are continuously moved in different combinations.
Multiple pins is something I consider in reviews, i.e. "would make a better home course." But in general it's a downside unless the pins are in the more challenging or more fun positions at the time I played. Since most reviewers are visiting players, I suspect you're right in that multiple pins ultimately lead to a lower rating. (New Quarter Park in Williamsburg, VA, is one recent course I've played that I prefer significantly in different layouts.)

I've recently encountered a decent number of courses (WV and VA) with two permanent basket placements. (Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Waller Mill, Bayville, and Munden Point spring to mind.) I think that works out in the courses' favor overall, while costing someone for the extra 18 baskets and providing some inconvenience during tournaments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc
When you design to accommodate a wide range of skills using multiple tee and pin configurations, there will always be compromises that diminish the fun factor when some combos are not as good as others on a hole or players have an extra long walk from the previous pin to their tee.
This isn't a specific reply to your comment, but the discussions here make me think of Harmony Bends. One of HB's unique achievements is that it manages to cater to so many different reviewers while not alienating anyone. Whether you're a total rookie or a DGCR snob, somehow HB seems to be able to win your affection. There are plenty of other courses out there, whether on or off this list, that manage to win some folks while losing others. Too long, too much elevation, too rugged, too tame, too wooded, etc. Oh HB, how have you found this perfect Harmony?!

Some day, there will be a new DGCR Number 1. Before Harmony Bends, it was Selah - Lakeside. Someone else would have to remind us what it was before that. I look forward to seeing how such a course will reach new peaks of disc golf excellence while being so unanimously appreciated, and that will be a good day for disc golf.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,653 Times in 1,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Some day, there will be a new DGCR Number 1. Before Harmony Bends, it was Selah - Lakeside. Someone else would have to remind us what it was before that. I look forward to seeing how such a course will reach new peaks of disc golf excellence while being so unanimously appreciated, and that will be a good day for disc golf.
Prior to Selah Ranch, I think it was Flyboy (before Kelly had Tim RIP it), and Flip before that...IIRC.

Of all I've played so far, I can Honestly say HB truly is my favorite.

But Iffy Hollers took my breath away more than any other: wonderful DG, and sooo many spetacular views.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 171
Niced 547 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I've recently encountered a decent number of courses (WV and VA) with two permanent basket placements. (Seth Burton, Orange Crush, Waller Mill, Bayville, and Munden Point spring to mind.) I think that works out in the courses' favor overall, while costing someone for the extra 18 baskets and providing some inconvenience during tournaments.
Patapsco Valley is another course that has two tees and two baskets on every hole. Consequently the course can be played as a high-quality par 3 course, a 9,200' wooded monster, or two intermediate configurations.

The story I heard is one of the locals won 18 baskets in a raffle and donated them to the course.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 314 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Prior to Selah Ranch, I think it was Flyboy (before Kelly had Tim RIP it), and Flip before that...IIRC.
flyboy had it for a minute but the vast majority of the time it was back and forth between flip and idlewild