Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 626
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 23 Times in 12 Posts
Default Patapsco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Patapsco Valley is another course that has two tees and two baskets on every hole. Consequently the course can be played as a high-quality par 3 course, a 9,200' wooded monster, or two intermediate configurations.

The story I heard is one of the locals won 18 baskets in a raffle and donated them to the course.
A local won nine baskets, and donated them. The other nine were paid for by cash donations.

Actually, there are 3xtees per hole, a third recreational set defined by a pair of pavers. We play Rec2Short at our league finale, and make every hole a CTP.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 232 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Interesting. I play Seneca Creek a ton and it doesn’t seem dated (but maybe I’m dated lol). If one hasn’t played Seneca Creek recently, it now has “permanent temp” baskets on some of the more challenging long positions, including holes 1, 13, 18 (2nd practice basket), 23, and 27.

I wonder whether folks played Seneca when the course was set up short. Playing is a completely different challenge when the course is stretched out (usually after the Soiree in April and often during the winter months).

For example, holes 10 and 13 range from ~250’ to over 600’ depending on pin position and tee. Hole1 ranges from 225’ to 378’. Hole 2 ranges from 200’ to 390’. If someone played mostly short tees to “A” pins, I could see the course feeling dated.

I enjoy Ditto Farms and play it regularly but if I had to choose one, Seneca Creek would be an easy decision for me. But I respect other opinions, different strokes for different folks, etc.

As Swatso pointed out, MD has a nice variety of good courses and I appreciate that variety. I just wish someone would build an epic course along Maryland's version of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
I agree 100% Seneca is better than Ditto.

The thing with Ditto, in my opinion, is the course has 3 or 4 of the most boring holes in disc golf. Hole 1, Hole 2 Short basket, Hole 4 and hole 18 are wide open hyzers. And I understand the course designers are making the most out of the property. However hole #14 and 15 might be my favorite holes in the State. And there are a lot of other great holes on the course.

The one dated thing about Seneca is some of the teepads. I know the club has put a ton of work replacing them but when you have 27 holes (2 or 3 per hole) some of the teepads are very hard to reach so I understand why. On the other hand I can say they have built 5 to 10 new benches in the past year.

One thing both of the course have in common is a ton of work continues to be put in maintaining the courses and I am grateful for it. The amount of clearing out of the brush that happens regularly is amazing.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 318
Niced 250 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdizzlefizzle View Post
I live in Wisconsin and have 5-7 I'd put above Rollin Ridge. Also I love Rollin Ridge. Wisconsin is pretty alright.
Quote:
Gold, Blueberry, Granite, Bear at Highbridge. Big brother Justin trails, Wilderness, Sandy point. Not sure I'd rate them all higher. Rollin Ridge is #1 in disc golf experience
I don’t live in Wisco but id agree w most of that and add Stoney Creek to the list...

Niced: (1)
Old 01-08-2020, 06:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 148
Niced 45 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentjacobs View Post
I don’t live in Wisco but id agree w most of that and add Stoney Creek to the list...
Wisconsin has some gems.

Pat Blake is in the works of building a gem in Wisconsin Dells. His words "the best piece of property I've had to work with". It will be his first permanent course gold level design but will have multiple baskets and tee pads for lesser skill level. The owner of the property bought a skid loader to help carve the track. No doubt it will have a chance to crack the top ten.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-08-2020, 06:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 318
Niced 250 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Wisconsin has some gems.

Pat Blake is in the works of building a gem in Wisconsin Dells. His words "the best piece of property I've had to work with". It will be his first permanent course gold level design but will have multiple baskets and tee pads for lesser skill level. The owner of the property bought a skid loader to help carve the track. No doubt it will have a chance to crack the top ten.
Awesome to hear, I’m a fan of Pat’s work. Look forward to that developing and I’ll have to get there for a couple spins once it’s complete.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.7
Courses Played: 361
Niced 114 Times in 58 Posts

Any chance the WI Dells course will be open by 10/1/20? (when I'm in the area)
Old 01-09-2020, 03:58 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 542
Niced 763 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Agreed, except I would put Camden II (the Dark-side) over Canyons. A couple of Peoria courses might even be ahead of Fairfield as well.
I liked Camden quite a bit...but I think I prefer Canyons. I can't pinpoint why, and it's very close. Canyons is one of the only times our group has gone back for a second round the next day instead of bagging more courses.

We thought Highlands was damn fun, too. Not on Canyons level, but pleasantly surprising.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 283 Times in 147 Posts

Anyone have an opinion on how the foundation course in Centralia stacks up with Canyons, Camden etc. I was supposed to play Camden last August but it started storming, literally, as we pulled into the parking lot.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 258
Niced 135 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Anyone have an opinion on how the foundation course in Centralia stacks up with Canyons, Camden etc. I was supposed to play Camden last August but it started storming, literally, as we pulled into the parking lot.
Long...
When I have played Foundation, I try to play the back tees. It is very long. It has been a few years since I played there, so if I remember correctly there are multiple pin placement on each hole but not necessarily very clear description at the tee. Only really bad hole in my opinion was #18.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 420
Niced 857 Times in 304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I've played Foundation. One of longer 18 holes courses I've played, and i played the shorts. It has phenomenal fairway shot planning being a par 70/72. Its a different type of course compared to Canyons. So its really not fair to compare the two... but i look forward going back to Canyons way more.