Old 01-10-2020, 02:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,265 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I took a high speed driver to the side of my lower leg by some douche playing the "safari"layout without regards to other course users. My toddler was standing on the other side of me. Luckily it hit me and not him. (Ensuing conversation with disc owner is a topic for another thread) That hurt like hell. Couldn't imagine taking one to the head. Even as dense as my head is, ooooftaaa, that would be awful.

I did have to get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 660 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I did have to get stitches.
Luckily I didn't....but I had the nastiest bruise from my ankle to my knee. Walking was tough for a few days. My calf felt like it was gonna fall off every step I took.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:08 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Luckily I didn't....but I had the nastiest bruise from my ankle to my knee. Walking was tough for a few days. My calf felt like it was gonna fall off every step I took.
Goodness. How far away was the thrower?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 660 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Goodness. How far away was the thrower?
180'. He was throwing at a basket about 450' from him. There was some serious juice on the throw.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 AM
Par Member

Niced 137 Times in 60 Posts

From another related thread - happy to share my ignorance if it saves one person from the same fate.

PLEASE READ AND KEEP THIS IN MIND EVERYTIME YOU GO ON A COURSE.

To all players new and old - take safety seriously! Just read the bold if nothing else.

As a warning, you can just ask me - I was hit in my left eye with a high-speed driver over 20 years ago and my eye will never heal.

The disc was grip-locked (A Discraft Tracer) and hit me standing about 30FT away. The throw was almost 90 degrees to the throwers right. I was slightly ahead of the thrower, about 10 FT.

30FT to the right and 10FT ahead - You would think this is almost impossible, unfortunately it is not.

The disc did not catch my brow or cheek, dead solid force directly with the eyeball. I dropped like a sack of potatoes and luckily was with some friends that could take me to the ER. My eye immediately filled with blood like a vase but INSIDE of my eyeball. Friends told me I was also bleeding from my face where the disc cut into it as it pushed my eye into my head.

Went to the ER and all the doctor could do is put a patch on my eye and tell me to go home and not use my eye as much as possible. So, basically nothing. What they meant by not using my eye was to not read or watch TV as my damaged eye will move and try to adjust as if it were not behind a patch.

All of my eye healed excluding one part - The iris sphincter muscle, which is similar to a circular rubber-band that opens and closes to let light in and out of your pupil. Basically, the black (Pupil) area of your eye has a muscle around it that opens and closes to allow more or less light to enter. Well, mine is permanently broken in three places so my eye never uses it at all. Since it is permanently open, I have to use drops to shrink it so it does not get too painful. These drops only last about half of a day. This is everyday of my life - I will never be able to focus from my left eye again, ever.

Add to that, I am a graphic designer and love to draw and paint - just salt on the wound. What would losing the function of focusing your left eye for life take away from you? Not trying to scare anyone away from a sport I love and still play, just be careful out there and realize that just being aware of the dangers may save you from a fate similar to mine.

Couple STEPS ahead was all it took for this to happen - please learn from my mistake. Please share this story with friends so they may take getting hit seriously. Please realize that a disc is quite a dangerous object.

No sympathy asked - just please be safe. Everyday - I wish I had those 2 steps back.

Last edited by Chains Bailey; 01-18-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.6
Courses Played: 8
Niced 81 Times in 48 Posts

I've never been nailed but I've come very close a couple of times. It amazes me (and pisses me off) that people don't yell fore when a throw goes bad.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.8
Courses Played: 145
Niced 338 Times in 145 Posts

That is horrifying, Chains Bailey.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Par Member

Niced 69 Times in 48 Posts

Somewhat related, but I’ve heard in Japan discs over 150g aren’t allowed because they’re considered weapons.

No idea how true this is but I heard it has to do with their overcrowding and limited space and the potential for someone to be accidentally hit.

Could just be B.S.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,735 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
That is horrifying, Chains Bailey.
This!

Old 01-18-2020, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,347 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Somewhat related, but I’ve heard in Japan discs over 150g aren’t allowed because they’re considered weapons.

No idea how true this is but I heard it has to do with their overcrowding and limited space and the potential for someone to be accidentally hit.

Could just be B.S.
Not weapons, just a public danger, and yes, this used to be the normal state of disc golf there. When the Japan open was played, there were a slew of light weight discs released in that time frame.
I think some areas have relaxed this rule now, but am not 100 percent sure on that.