Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,144 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I'm thinking a big issue with any of the newer discs ever being considered a "classic" is that there are so many discs out that you can easily avoid a disc. When I started playing I hated Aviars and tried my best to avoid them, but there just wasn't a lot of options and I eventually sucked it up and threw them. Then I became a big Aviar guy.

Fast forward 20 years and I had a lot of friends who raved about the Fuse. It's probably a really good disc. I don't have to throw it, though. There are a lot of good options that will allow you to avoid it. You put it on a list of "classic" molds and a bunch of us go "hun?" since we haven't tried it.

Pretty much every Lat 64/Westside/Dynamic disc has this issue. I'm not disputing that they have good discs, but everything they make has an equivelent disc from another company and I don't have to throw any of them. It's a much different era than the Aviar/Roc or TeeBird/Firebird-eras. Those discs you had to try; there just wasn't much in the way of options if you didn't.
Your right, but they still have made discs that were unique in their time period or did something better or differently than their forebears. The Harp is a good example. When I was first playing the OS approach disc was a rarity. Some people might bag a Rhyno or a Zone, but those discs feel and fly much differently. And now the OS approach disc is something everyone has,. Though I don’t know that it’s ever been done better.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 12:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 21 Times in 19 Posts

I had several good banshees, very pearly champ ones and they flew nice but a bit fast
Trident is very slow, deliberate, predictable and beefy

QUOTE=Three Putt;3536596]I'm thinking a big issue with any of the newer discs ever being considered a "classic" is that there are so many discs out that you can easily avoid a disc. When I started playing I hated Aviars and tried my best to avoid them, but there just wasn't a lot of options and I eventually sucked it up and threw them. Then I became a big Aviar guy.

Fast forward 20 years and I had a lot of friends who raved about the Fuse. It's probably a really good disc. I don't have to throw it, though. There are a lot of good options that will allow you to avoid it. You put it on a list of "classic" molds and a bunch of us go "hun?" since we haven't tried it.

Pretty much every Lat 64/Westside/Dynamic disc has this issue. I'm not disputing that they have good discs, but everything they make has an equivelent disc from another company and I don't have to throw any of them. It's a much different era than the Aviar/Roc or TeeBird/Firebird-eras. Those discs you had to try; there just wasn't much in the way of options if you didn't.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Lighter weight Envy is just as stable and glides for days - I can easily get them out past most mids with no high speed turn.

Trident wouldn't be something I'd call a classic, but it is certainly a unique mold. No equivalents to those I'm aware of, I've never gotten to throw any of the "good" Banshees, closest might be a Resistor.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,878 Times in 1,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu-f-o View Post
Well I come from the time of pre trilogy, that's when I started.
So I had plenty of experience with most innova discs.
You don't HAVE to try a fuse, but maybe you should to see what you might be missing.

Trust me, I don't choose the discs on my list lightly.

There's something special about all of them. Enough so for me to only throw them when things count and leave all my collectable and amazing innova at home.

Other than the Nova teebird sidewinder
I did try a fuse. It doesn't click with the way I like to throw. It did nothing that made me want to abandon my beat Roc approach to that shot. That's fundamentally different than what happened to me with the Aviar. I hated the Aviar, it was too deep. I couldn't get it out of my hand. I tired 86 Softies and Rubber Putters and XD's and anything else I could find, but they all also had glaring drawbacks. I finally just decided to throw Aviars and force myself to get used to it, which I did. It was just the best putt/approach disc on the market at that time.

Which makes some things just avoidable due to the timing. A LOT of current players click better with say a Truth than a Roc, so if we had nothing and the Roc, Buzzz, Truth, Bard, Roc3, etc., were ALL going to hit the market this year, what people would throw would be all over the place due to personal preferences. The use would be so spread out that picking one of them as THE mid would be impossible and whichever one was a "classic" would depend on which one you picked.

That's not what happened. The Roc was THE mid for over a decade before we had the Buzzz. Then Roc VS. Buzzz was the ubiquitous Interwebz thread for about a decade before the market blew up. The Roc and the Buzzz get to be the classic mids. The rest can be your personal favorite, but based on the market they were introduced into they never really had a chance to be a "classic." At least not in my opinion, anyway.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Maybe some people are considering discs that are irreplaceable, rather than being "classic". Classic to me just means that it's a special disc and is being thrown by many for good reason.

May not be the best disc or irreplaceable, but great features nonetheless and probably something you can't take out of your bag.

It depends on the person though.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu-f-o View Post
Maybe some people are considering discs that are irreplaceable, rather than being "classic". Classic to me just means that it's a special disc and is being thrown by many for good reason.

May not be the best disc or irreplaceable, but great features nonetheless and probably something you can't take out of your bag.

It depends on the person though.
To me there are so many more discs AND so many more players now VS. 30 years ago that it's impossible to simplify things down like we could back then. It really muddies things up. To a large extent what we are going to get is going to vary wildly from person to person. 30 years ago that wasn't the case. Consensus was easier to get back then.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 7
Niced 345 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Lighter weight Envy is just as stable and glides for days - I can easily get them out past most mids with no high speed turn.

Trident wouldn't be something I'd call a classic, but it is certainly a unique mold. No equivalents to those I'm aware of, I've never gotten to throw any of the "good" Banshees, closest might be a Resistor.
First run Spark is similar, although smaller diameter
Old 01-14-2020, 12:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Your right, but they still have made discs that were unique in their time period or did something better or differently than their forebears. The Harp is a good example. When I was first playing the OS approach disc was a rarity. Some people might bag a Rhyno or a Zone, but those discs feel and fly much differently. And now the OS approach disc is something everyone has,. Though I don’t know that it’s ever been done better.
Remember the wing wars? All the disc golf companies were doing was slapping a bigger wing on a small-diameter driver and calling it the latest-greatest. Probably if there is a possibility of finding an actually unique disc released in the last decade, you can probably find categories like OS approach discs that didn't really have a lot of options when the wing wars ended. Those are the areas that the manufacturers had to look at developing once they couldn't keep slapping bigger wing on a small-diameter drivers anymore.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,144 Times in 741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Remember the wing wars? All the disc golf companies were doing was slapping a bigger wing on a small-diameter driver and calling it the latest-greatest. Probably if there is a possibility of finding an actually unique disc released in the last decade, you can probably find categories like OS approach discs that didn't really have a lot of options when the wing wars ended. Those are the areas that the manufacturers had to look at developing once they couldn't keep slapping bigger wing on a small-diameter drivers anymore.
Yes, the niche has really filled out. The whole faster faster period was interesting, but probably spawned more poor discs than any other period.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yes there are so many discs and players now, but only a few discs will remain legendary.

Time will show.

We are just predicting them now for fun lol

Old 01-14-2020, 03:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,203 Times in 468 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I don't try new molds because I might like them then have to have 5 each in all plastics and runs.

I don't need anymore discs!!

Niced: (1)