Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,673 Times in 1,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejvogie View Post
Monster #1 immediately comes to mind as an instance where alt pins aren't implemented as well as they could be.
Already trying to $#!t on one of my Black Field Aces...

Agree that Monster isn't an example of nicely executed alt pins. It I don't think the Alts are confusing or detract from the course (spoken like a homer).

That said, course would be better if the Alts were better executed than they are.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-15-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.8
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,880 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Already trying to $#!t on one of my Black Field Aces...

Agree that Monster isn't an example of nicely executed alt pins. It I don't think the Alts are confusing or detract from the course (spoken like a homer).

That said, course would be better if the Alts were better executed than they are.
Awwww......they are just metal trees.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 333
Niced 293 Times in 123 Posts

This review for a new 1800-foot, 9-holer in South Carolina brings back memories of the wave of questionable Pendleton King drive-by reviews. When you say the course is a work-in-progress, focus on the lake's views, and still give it a 4.5, seems like something doesn't add up. Oh, and you signed up for an account just to post the review.

Oh, and he's vice president of the park's board.

Last edited by DiscGolfCraig; 01-21-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,673 Times in 1,278 Posts

Hard to doubt the credibility of the Park Board's VP.
Maybe it's a helluva niner.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-21-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 717 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Unless they're horribly plemented, I usually think alt pins is a nice feature.

I've bagged 3 "Black Field Aces" (canned the short pin on a fairway shot intended for the long pin)... if you want to aknowledge such a thing. Only recall the specific hole on one of them, but these were the courses:

Hudson Mills Monster, #1
Orange Crush, WV
Westside, GA

Didn't consider any as holed out... wouldn't feel right. It's not like the course/designer tricked me. I simply hit an obstacle on my throw. Still kinda fun in the moment, though, and certainly beats the hell out of a bad kick.
It was Orange Crush #5. I told you we were aiming for the ORANGE baskets! It definitely added a stroke to your score on that hole. It was a great approach shot, too, just right at the "basket tree."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
This review for a new 1800-foot, 9-holer in South Carolina brings back memories of the wave of questionable Pendleton King drive-by reviews. When you say the course is a work-in-progress, focus on the lake's views, and still give it a 4.5, seems like something doesn't add up. Oh, and you signed up for an account just to post the review.

Oh, and he's vice president of the park's board.
At least we're getting new members for DGCR? Plus, there's a certain level of transparency when the email address is used.

Last edited by armiller; 01-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,637 Times in 2,440 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...=1897&mode=rev

Quote:
Pros: A little known gem nestled in northern WI to rival any course at the immortal highbridge hills. Simply one of the most well thought out and perfectly designed disc golf courses in the entire upper midwest area. Top notch in technical merit, with long and short holes, up and down hills, corridors, open and wooded, and some of the best basket positioning and variety ever. Built on a ski hill. Middle of nature and nowhere. Ridiculously majestic views and more. Epic. As it truly is.... (I gave it a 5 on design, layout, views, and merit alone, not how it is maintained, as it is in disrepair)

Cons: You are either oldschool and know the course and its' layout, or you are basically screwed. Although there are most markers for holes/old signage (ie: hole#1, hole#2), etc... They are terribly antiquated and barely visible (lying on the ground, you might see them). Tees are basically a wood post lumber 2x4 in the ground. Also there are no indicators of next hole position, and you will get horribly lost without someone who knows the course(or take an entire full day to figure it out, and still might not find some holes). The course is negligibly maintained. Playing in the summer will be a nightmare without spotters. You will lose discs in that season. The course also takes multiple multiple hours to play (3hours+ with 4 people) with lots of treacherous terrain, and walking up and down a ski hill. Very long and exhausting to play all 24 holes. But still arguably worth it..

Other Thoughts: It says the course is "Unplayable" but I believe that is incorrect. Although I wouldn't risk it during the summer with ticks and overgrowth, playing here during the early spring and late fall is friggin' awesome. Like most things in life you sometimes have to work hard to get good things out of your labors. Same with this course. Either brave it for epicness or pass. Your decision...
Last review this course got was in 2010 and the pics are 7+ yrs old...
Old 01-29-2020, 04:43 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 313 Times in 162 Posts

I drove from Highbridge to Cable to play this about 8 years ago. It was like a ghost town at Telemark. There was nobody around and I saw nothing to tell me there were baskets there. It may have changed since but I'd doubt it. It is a beautiful area but I kind of questioned that review when I saw it.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 172
Niced 549 Times in 255 Posts

The written review for Telemark seems appropriate; it gives me all the information I would need to skip this course.

Clearly the rating does not match the review.

Reviewer's page lists two courses played and two 5-star reviews.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,961 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...=1897&mode=rev

Last review this course got was in 2010 and the pics are 7+ yrs old...
So in other words, "When the course was put in it was great. Now its basically unplayable but I'm giving it a 5 anyways."

Yeah that's a homer review if I ever saw one...

Old 01-29-2020, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,695 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
So in other words, "When the course was put in it was great. Now its basically unplayable but I'm giving it a 5 anyways."

Yeah that's a homer review if I ever saw one...
Or a really outlier taste in what makes a good course! Maybe he loves to combine orienteering and exploration with his disc golf?

If I had more people like that around here, I could save a lot of time and expense mowing in the summer.