Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,926 Times in 772 Posts
Default Playoffs?

Stop it with your Jim Mora impressions...serious question time lol...

So if I have a tourney and I want to decide the winner of a division with a sudden death playoff how does that work if there are only two players battling it out? You're supposed to have 3 per card to get a second on a ruling - right? So who should the 3rd be? The TD maybe? If so what if the TD is one of the two in the playoffs?

We had a playoff last year at a tourney and it went 3 holes. All of the tourney players went out and watched so there was a gallery for these guys. One of the players told me that this playoff was one of his favorite disc golf moments so I'd really rather not do a tie breaker any other way.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,577 Times in 2,409 Posts

I don't think the 3 players rule would matter. The round isn't rated and doesn't affect anyone else in the tourney. The two players should "police" each other since they are the only ones who are affected by the outcome. If you aren't paying attention to your opponent, that's your fault.

In a perfect world, there would be an assistant TD(or another certified official) to go out with them but I don't think its required...?

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-11-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 226
Niced 87 Times in 21 Posts

CM 1.06F is the applicable rule:
To promote fairness, groups shall not consist of fewer than three players, except under extenuating circumstances, as deemed necessary by the Tournament Director. In cases where fewer than three players are required to play together, a designated tournament official must accompany the group and may play as long as that does not interfere with the competing players.

"Tournament official" references CM 1.12 (emphasis mine):

A. Only the Tournament Director, those Certified Officials that have been designated by the Tournament Director, or a designated PDGA Marshal, are Tournament Officials for a given event.
B. Only Tournament Officials may make rulings at PDGA-sanctioned events beyond those calls allowed by the rules to be made by the players or playing group themselves.
C. Spectators are not Tournament Officials, and may NOT make rulings. Players in the event who are not designated Tournament Officials and are not actively playing in the round (either have finished or have not yet started) are considered spectators.
D. Each Tournament Official must carry a copy of both the tournament/course rules and the PDGA Rulebook at all times.
E. If an appointed Tournament Official competes in the tournament, they may NOT officiate for any ruling within their own division other than as a member of a playing group as allowed by the rules.
F. A Tournament Official’s ruling supersedes the ruling of the playing group, but an appeal may be made to the Chief Official who is the Tournament Director, or their appointed Chief Official.
G. The Tournament Director may empower volunteers to act as spotters for a specific spotting purpose, but the ruling of a spotter does NOT supersede the ruling of the group.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,926 Times in 772 Posts

THATS what I've been looking for. Thanks!

Niced: (1)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,577 Times in 2,409 Posts

Yea I forgot about the need to second the calls and I must have skimmed over where you asked if the TD himself was playing. I have seen 2 players in a playoff go off by themselves in sanctioned play more than once and tbh, I'm not sure if I have ever actually seen a pair go out with a real official, in person at our local events. Sometimes a couple people will tag along to watch but most of the time its just the two players that go out.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.7
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,851 Times in 799 Posts

I would encourage any TD to decide and, announce or post, playoff plans, before the end of the round. What holes will be used, starting on what hole, what tee pads....

Nothing worse than the look of impropriety when the first two holes are lefty friendly and only one player is left handed....because you know that will be the TD's best friend, right?

Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

Disc golf holes being what they are, I'm not sure there's a way to make sudden death completely fair and still wrap things up in a timely manner.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,685 Times in 1,585 Posts

I was in a tie-breaker once and we drafted another player from our division to walk with us and be our "third". Turned out to be a 7-hole not-so-sudden death playoff that ended at the furthest point from HQ. So he'd already lost, was tired, and ended up walking a couple of extra miles without getting to play any of it.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I would encourage any TD to decide and, announce or post, playoff plans, before the end of the round. What holes will be used, starting on what hole, what tee pads....

Nothing worse than the look of impropriety when the first two holes are lefty friendly and only one player is left handed....because you know that will be the TD's best friend, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Disc golf holes being what they are, I'm not sure there's a way to make sudden death completely fair and still wrap things up in a timely manner.
Maybe not, but the TD should put some thought into it. The rules say it starts on hole 1 unless announced otherwise in advance.

At Stoney Hill we established a fairly balanced loop near HQ, balanced for handedness and distance. If we used hole 1, it would be down a huge hill (with the requirement to climb back up), and if that didn't solve it, off to very distant regions of the course.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
One of the players told me that this playoff was one of his favorite disc golf moments so I'd really rather not do a tie breaker any other way.

-Dave
You have the rules on your side. All first place ties are to be broken by sudden death (with the exception, I believe, of flex-start events).