Old 12-11-2019, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 603 Times in 443 Posts
Default Becoming a RETAILER - and whats the bizzness ?

Curious out starting a side-job of retail disc sales - Along with other disc golf media

I don't need to be a BIG THING - I'd just be interested in a couple manufacturers and selling online - and locally if people wanna swing by the house to see them in person - not a shop

Just curious if anyone has any feedback or advice on this?

From what I gather its not the MOST profitable venture and may be a big challenging - in my immediate area there WAS a disc golf shop, but there is not anymore
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2019, 03:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,163 Times in 1,227 Posts

justin from community discs would be a solid resource
Old 12-11-2019, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 223
Niced 2,163 Times in 1,227 Posts

from what i gather its a losing game

a lot of shop owners are now slangin plastic on the fb auction sites cuz theyll get top dolla for that

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 785 Times in 349 Posts

Some manufacturers may require a physical store address before selling you stock discs. Pretty sure Innova is pretty strict about this as our club cant even buy stock stamps from them despite placing many custom stamp orders. MPV/Discraft may be a little more lenient and allow it but something to check into.

Seems quite risky to me, with how picky some folks can be and how much of a crapshoot ordering plastic can be. Lot of times you dont get all the great colors and ideal weights, sometimes you get the bad colors and weights. Lot of competition out there already so what do you plan to offer to set you apart? Trying to battle on price alone is not a great business plan so what value can you add to the process?

Old 12-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 82 Times in 50 Posts

I have mulled this idea over quite a lot throughout the year but I just don't think there is enough customers for the number of retailers there are. Unfortunately unless you load up on "collectible" stuff and resell it at above MSRP breaking even will be difficult. People have become so picky about color,feel,and things like "dome" that if you don't have EXACTLY what they want they will just move on. I picture a room full of "ugly" colored discs like yellows and bad swirls that you couldn't give away if you wanted to. Only way I would do it is if I was able to go to manufactures and hand pick my stock.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,684 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Some manufacturers may require a physical store address before selling you stock discs. Pretty sure Innova is pretty strict about this as our club cant even buy stock stamps from them despite placing many custom stamp orders. MPV/Discraft may be a little more lenient and allow it but something to check into.

Seems quite risky to me, with how picky some folks can be and how much of a crapshoot ordering plastic can be. Lot of times you dont get all the great colors and ideal weights, sometimes you get the bad colors and weights. Lot of competition out there already so what do you plan to offer to set you apart? Trying to battle on price alone is not a great business plan so what value can you add to the process?
Exactly.

Plus, the existing online vendors have large inventories. You know how much it would cost to build that much stock? Or how long it would take you to break even?

Niced: (2)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,076 Times in 635 Posts

Edited: Not fast enough. Info already posted. lol..
Old 12-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 132
Niced 113 Times in 43 Posts

Hard to differentiate yourself online. Why buy from you when I can get better selection and prices from the big names who have the benefits of greater scale? Do you have an answer to that? Even things like artwork (Black Ink, Airborn, etc.) and disc shape minutiae (OTB, Thrower's Choice, etc.) are not all that unique and differentiating online anymore.

Local is the place to be I think. People will always want to see/feel/browse discs, which they can't do online, and won't want to travel far for. Unlike online, you are filling an obvious need then.

If you don't want to do brick/mortar, consider a traveling shop that you set up at local courses, leagues, tourneys, etc. For the latter, you can even offer to handle am merch payout and/or players packs. But this does take some time investment of sitting around while people browse, etc., cutting into time you could be spending actually playing or whatever else.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 101
Niced 185 Times in 92 Posts

You should read Jason Oxsen's recent post on FB about the DG business. It's a very enlightening read. I'll see if I can track it down again.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 101
Niced 185 Times in 92 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk