Old 12-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default New to the game

Hey all,

I am a brand new disc golfer - started a week ago. Truthfully, I played about 7-8 years ago a few times and loved it, but I didn't have anyone to play with so I stopped. Now, I am absolutely obsessed again because my wife, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law are all into it too. I'm an avid golfer and I think this is something I'll stick with for a while...

That said, how in the world do I learn about different discs? I bought a beginner set, as did my wife and in-laws. All of us have a single driver, a single approach, and a single putter. In real golf, I always "get fit" for the right clubs, but how would I go about trying the different options in DG? I don't mind spending some money so I can beat my brother-in-law's ass! haha

We played down in Sanford and Debary this past week (every single day ) and I don't think I'm "bad" by any means. Shooting around 4-5 over par, a birdie or two per round, and lots of pars/bogeys. I throw it pretty good and straight and am learning all my different options to throw/curve the frisbees.

I realized the other day I can turn my approach left-to-right much easier than my driver. I also couldn't make a 20-30' putt, but switched to my wife's putter mid-week, and now feel like I can't miss! I had no ideas the frisbees would all be so unique. It made me realize when I see people with bags full of frisbees that they probably each of their own shot-type/use. That said, we have no one to guide us on where to go, who to talk to, where to practice, etc.

My wife and I are located in Jacksonville, FL and my in-laws in Lake Mary, FL. Any advice on getting me started is appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,716 Times in 750 Posts

Welcome to the game!

Here is a thread you should read through before you just haphazardly start buying discs. It's a solid way to learn the game and discs.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=32790

Have fun!

Niced: (2)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 196 Times in 115 Posts

Keller pointed you to a very good thread.
I will add that when you start exploring discs, you'll come across a lot of descriptions that use terms like "stable", "overstable", "understable", "flippy", "turnover", "roller", "hyzerflip", "meathook", etc. Without context, it gets overwhelming at first.
I like this webpage because it is a simple explanation of three important shot types and what kind of disc is suited for throwing it.
The disc buying adventure is a slippery slope, and some outfits such as Infinite Discs gives you a lot of data and graphics to help you choose a particular disc that might fit your desires. The flight charts are powered by Inbounds and you can go there to look at every disc's flight charts if you want.
One last thing to note: disc manufacturers want to sell you the latest and greatest high speed drivers but until your form and arm speed get there (and for many of us it never will) these discs won't do much for you and you'll be happier with the results of gradually upping the speed rating on your discs. The thread that Keller referenced above shows you how to go about doing just that.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-01-2020, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 193
Niced 717 Times in 467 Posts

Welcome to the site and more importantly, to disc golf.

I'm too lazy to write much now, so one place to start might be similar threads with people asking similar questions in this Newbie forum.

No matter what discs you get, or what fancy terms you learn, there's no substitute for getting on the course and throwing. Finding a course or several courses that challenge your skill without stealing your discs is helpful. Field work and form improvement eventually become essential if you really want to up your game.

It's a lot of fun, and that's why we're here. Enjoy!

Niced: (3)
Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 72 Times in 35 Posts

If you're already parring and birding a lot, maybe you're a natural. You can't go wrong by learning to throw the classic mids like Buzzz or Roc etc., and staying away from high speed discs for a while. Depending on your budget, experimenting with different plastics and molds is a lot of fun.

The Course Map resource here is awesome.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:56 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I say learn the disc vs buying more discs. My best rounds (3 times so far so maybe I should take my own advice) have been 1 disc rounds with a mid range
1 each buzzz comet and wasp
Distance has been close enough to my drivers but the control was the difference
Old 01-02-2020, 04:40 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 413
Niced 322 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
Keller pointed you to a very good thread.
I will add that when you start exploring discs, you'll come across a lot of descriptions that use terms like "stable", "overstable", "understable", "flippy", "turnover", "roller", "hyzerflip", "meathook", etc. Without context, it gets overwhelming at first.
I like this webpage because it is a simple explanation of three important shot types and what kind of disc is suited for throwing it.
The disc buying adventure is a slippery slope, and some outfits such as Infinite Discs gives you a lot of data and graphics to help you choose a particular disc that might fit your desires. The flight charts are powered by Inbounds and you can go there to look at every disc's flight charts if you want.
One last thing to note: disc manufacturers want to sell you the latest and greatest high speed drivers but until your form and arm speed get there (and for many of us it never will) these discs won't do much for you and you'll be happier with the results of gradually upping the speed rating on your discs. The thread that Keller referenced above shows you how to go about doing just that.
^ This right here. Blobfish nailed it on the head. For newer players bestdiscgolfdiscs.com has excellent videos on youtube that explain all different types of things disc golf related. Infinite is where I buy all my discs and they have a great website and overall set up. But like Blobfish said, manufacturers are always trying to sell you the newest, next best thing. The one thing I will add is that it's NOT always just high speed drivers. It's putters, mids, fairways etc. too.

My suggestion is to browse around on here for info you're looking for and you'll find it...eventually. The main thing is to have fun playing and that's all that really matters.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,096 Times in 640 Posts

Quick tip: As long as you "turn my approach left-to-right much easier than my driver" while releasing the disc on a hyzer, that's great! But if you're releasing that on an anny line, rolling your wrist, etc, that's not good. I also recommend throwing your putter as often as you can and trying to keep the disc level, flat, etc, while throwing it as far as you can. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 354 Times in 216 Posts

welcome and listen to what those above are telling you; good advice. and buy a Roc and throw it a ton, too....