Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 39
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Tournament to raise money for the disease CF

hi all,
my best friends little brother and cousins were born with the deadly disease CF (cystic fibrosis). i'm wanting to set up a tournament to raise money for the research and treatment for cf. i have a course that could host the tournament, i just never ran a tourny before and really dont know how to organize it. how can i attract people to play? what would the pay outs be?(if any?) how do i advertise to local business/people to help raise money for this great cause??also, if i got donations of discs and other disc golf equipment, how would i set up a raffle? any recommendations would be helpful, i really want to raise money for CF treatment, please help me raise money for a great cause!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have two suggestions.

The first suggestion is organize an Ice Bowl. The Ice Bowl website should have helpful information.

The second suggestion is to look at the TD resources at the PDGA website. Even if you don't want to "sanction" your event, their information could help you see how to get organized.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

^thanks! idk if i would have it be a sanctioned event, but if it was, it would probably attract a lot more people! also since i would have the tourny in southern az, it wouldnt be an ice bowl haha but yea i see that the ice bowl link you provided had a lot of useful info on how to raise money! thanks a ton lewis!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 16
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great idea great cause good luck man. I'd be down if it's was around me. For a charity event you should take 75% of the money and put it towards the cause rest of it could go back to the players. And all you have to do for a raffle is goto like home depo and get a roll of tickets and sell them and put one side in a coffee can the buyer keeps the other side. Id say not to have a raffle unless you get a bunch of stuff. Maybe a 50/50 cash raffle would be a good idea where half the money goes to the cause sand the winner gets the other half. I'm no tournament director or anything just thought I'd put my thoughts in and try to help out for a good cause. Hope it works out
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

awesome! thanks stankyjahnke... i was thinking about the same thing 75% to charity and 25% to pay out. what should i do about different divisions? and i would like to do a raffle for donated stuff and not a 50/50 cash pay out because i feel like i could get a decent amount of swag donated and i want to get the most amount of money donated possible. so i would try to do a swag only prize raffle in order to raise more money. ill see what i can do about raising donations/prizes for the tournament. i feel like i would have more money donated to the raffle if there were nice disc/swag in the pot because i feel like most disc golfers aren't looking to make a quick buck on a lottery. they are mostly looking for a lottery to get themselves a nice disc for a their donation to help a good cause
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 18
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowski View Post
... since i would have the tourny in southern az, it wouldnt be an ice bowl haha but yea i see that the ice bowl link you provided had a lot of useful info on how to raise money! thanks a ton lewis!
Climate doesn't matter for Ice Bowls. They happen in every state of the union, including Florida, so go for it!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,695 Times in 1,586 Posts

I'd suggest linking up with someone local who has run a tournament, as least to be your assistant. No matter how dedicated you are, it'll go smoother for you and the players if you have an experienced hand.

The PDGA allows sanctioning for charitable fundraisers under the Competition Endowment program. You pay the $50 sanctioning fee and get insurance, but you don't have to pay the $2 per player fee or charge $10 for non-members. I strongly recommend looking into this.

If you scramble you can get lots of donations from businesses and individuals to help out. Both cash donations to the cause, and material donations to the event (raffle items, CTPs, food, etc.)

My brother and I run one for The Children's Heart Foundation. We don't scramble for donations, but the local grocery store donates food to help us feed the players, and some individuals make donations. We split the entry 50/50 between the charity and payout. We've raised $1,000-$1,500.

Our local club runs one for a local children's shelter, and a friend runs one for the Ronald McDonald House. Both are much better at soliciting donations, and have raised $4,000-$5,000 from a tournament.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 360
Niced 738 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I have two suggestions.

The first suggestion is organize an Ice Bowl. The Ice Bowl website should have helpful information.
Ice Bowls are generally held to raise money and food for local food banks. I've in fact never heard of them raising money for any other cause.

There is also already an Ice Bowl in his area scheduled for January 12, so I don't think he'd have luck getting another one anyway.
_

I would contact the people who run the local tournament scene where you are and get in touch with them about putting a CF fundraiser event on their schedule. Advance planning is key for good attendance.

Last edited by scarpfish; 11-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I've in fact never heard of them raising money for any other cause.
Pretty sure Charlotte's has been for the local Raptor Center for the past several years. Probably other charities as well. I guess I'm assuming Charlotte's is an "official" Ice Bowl.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 36
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Talk to Will (pres of the AZDGC), Ben Vosper, and Chris Kaufman. They should be able to help you out.