Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts
Default Where to pull through?

Been watching some slow motion videos of the pros and noticed a lot of variation in where they pull across their body. Some seem to pull straight across the chest. Which is what it seems that Master Beto demonstrates in his videos. But most seem to pull from much lower then across at or even below the waist line and finish with a follow through at chest/sholder height.

Which is better and why? And if lower is better - how do you keep from skying it or releasing with a lot of hyzer?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,759 Times in 1,709 Posts

Beto typically pulls low to high in a full swing like most do, the drill is just the last part of the throw. The variation you see is most often due to the spine tilt, or amount of turn. If you are more upright the swing will be more level. You want to throw upward with the nose down at the apex of it's flight so it can fly out from there. The more snap you have the easier it is to keep the nose down and adjust angles.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

I did notice that the spine or upper body was usually tilted away from the basket. Combine that with the low to high pull and I don't understand how they keep the disc from going in an upward trajectory, staling and fading hard. Thats what happens to me any time i'm not standing upright or just a little forward. Are they compensating with a lot downward wrist tilt so the disc as actually tilted downward rather than in-line with the forearm.

Do you have some diagrams of how these angles are put together?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me know when you figure it out because I can't do it! I think it has something to do with the snap and hyzer flip which is still missing from my game.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I caught on to this a few months ago as well from watching better local players and then watching videos of pros throw. I started pulling lower to higher and saw instant results in ease of the throw, distance and accuracy. I feel that throwing like this forces you to use your core and legs more and takes the 'arm strength' out from the main focus on your pull. Driving was easier initially compared to approach shots with mids and putters but I got it after a week or two.

As far as release and nose angle, it naturally gets back to flat at the end of the throw and you don't really alter your normal release, at least I didn't. Unfortunately, a few weeks after switching my throwing form, I tore my meniscus and strained my ACL and have not played much in two and a half months. I'm really anxious to get back out there and get back into that throwing motion.

I watched a video of Feldberg, Niko and Will, you can see how easy they throw on hole 3 and take that motion to other shots in the round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSAjVtzo0A
Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a good vid but mostly Niko, there is a competitive round showing them all throw, can't find it though. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKyAuvnJscs
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

This Feldberg vid demonstrates no snap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6fRdCt2VE

vs

This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGGYsSUGKXk

So again now I'm confused because these contradict each other!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both are good videos but what helps me is the disconnect between a pros 'hit' and then 'audio snap.'

Both videos talk about the same thing being the 'hit' point of release. You can see Feldberg talk about 'hit' in putting as well or when Climo says 'paint the pole' that's the release of the disc. The release of the wrist outward at the end of the throw or putt.

Snap is just an audio snap caused by grip strength and friction on release. I get a lot of audio 'snap' on mids and fw drivers but not so much on distance drivers. I don't think 'snap' makes it a good throw, but 'hit' at the end is what makes it a good throw.

Follow me?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

I've watched all these videos and more. But all they ever seem to say is keep the disc in line with forearm. Yet when I do that and pull from waist to chest level the disc comes out nose up. I can't seem to just watch someone else throw and catch all the little details required to make this work. No disrespect intended sidewinder, but I have even more trouble translating golf swing videos to disc golf.

Anybody on here near the fredericksburg va area and willing to give a private lesson?

Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

pull somewhere through your chest/ribcage/core area. go through your throw and pull where ever your arm feels most comfortable starting/finishing, but make sure your elbow is driving forward. that's probably where most of your power will be - not in the elbow, but what i mean to say is that where you are comfortable is where you motion will be most fluid and natural, therefore powerful. start where ever feels best; it'll probably be somewhere around the same area.

you really don't have to start that low to throw a decent distance or accurately. extrapolate your line when you throw. you don't have to aim high to throw 15-20 feet off the ground. i throw 450' on a *perfect* pull - obviously not a cannon - but that's not how i pull and i rarely feel like i'm missing out on distance.

i think we're putting the wagon in front of the horse, though. if you can post a video you will get a lot more meaningful feedback instead of idle speculation about how you MIGHT be throwing - since posting videos of the pros or ourselves won't help you, you should post one. it'll be just like getting a short lesson.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 01-17-2014 at 07:17 PM.