Old 07-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 115 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Seeing all the Bailey reviews yesterday and today makes me wonder what pushes this sort of activity. Is this the latest tactic of the Beaver Ranch detractors? Does someone decide, hey, lets all go review Bailey on DGCR and up its rating?
It usually happens after a tournament. I noticed Lake Claiborne getting a few right after a tournament.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 304 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I'd guess it has more to do with new players there for The Bloom.
And maybe a guy standing next to the kiosk telling everyone to make sure they do a DGCR review and mention the new teepads. I don't necessarily blame them for doing this, they want new reviews, but that rash of reviews does seem like there's some serious lobbying going on.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 316
Niced 106 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Yeah, (for me) any time a course is even moderately inaccessible due to a design choice (e.g., using a flood plain), it's going to take a hit in my ratings rubric. That's just a poor design decision. And while traveling reviewers may see it once during playable conditions, if I traveled there to find a good portion of the course flooded out, that's NOT a 5-disc, top-ten, let alone #1 overall course.

i've got to disagree with everything said here. using a flood plain is absolutely not a poor design decision. it is a compromise and sort of a risk/reward decision.

so many of the holes at Harmony Bends are incredible golf holes. yes they are on a flood plain but it's great design with a sometimes significant drawback. if using a flood plain is a poor design choice, then building a course anywhere in the north where it snows is a poor design choice. it's basically saying that you'd rather a course not exist if the conditions aren't always playable.

i can see where some might disagree on this point but i also think having a course being sometimes unavailable shouldn't bear on its rating or status. if you are traveling to a destination course and don't do your homework then that's on you. you wouldn't knock on Augusta for being unplayable if you showed up during the Masters. i know the weather is a bit of a different story but the weather forecasts are accurate enough.

plus, in this case accounts seem to indicate that HB drains pretty quickly.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 273
Niced 1,390 Times in 727 Posts

All I know is, it's a freakin incredible course.

I haven't played any of the top ranked courses out west. Maybe some of them are better... I dunno what I dunno. But to say HB is worth going out of your way for, is an understatement.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 152
Niced 384 Times in 272 Posts

It's significant that HB's rating is holding up fine as time passes. I think I agree with dreadlock: the golf is incredible. It's absolutely amazing disc golf terrain (trees, ups/downs, ground surfaces, water) EXCEPT that it's unplayable when flooded and that some holes appear to drain slowly. Nevertheless, the fact that it's in a flood plain is part of the genius of the design. The land isn't premium or desirable for any other reason, so spacious and suitable land was available for a masterpiece of a course, which land wouldn't have been available on land with more uses.

I think my main concern is how tough upkeep will be after frequent cycles (every 2 years? twice a year?) of serious flooding. We had a course in Oklahoma City completely trashed after a serious flood a few years ago, so I just wonder how the greens, basket placements, tees, etc. will hold up. It may work, since the City of Columbia seems committed to the project for the present. But I bet that means a significant cost in man hours and finances. At any rate, "freakin incredible" is definitely one way to describe it.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,731 Times in 837 Posts

If Bucksnort can be in the Top 10, I can't see holding occasional unplayability against any course.

Or, for that matter, the Highbridge Hills courses.

Which isn't to say that individual reviewers can't dock it. Like all of the other features of varying importance to different players, the course's review will reflect the percentage of reviewers who think the flooding detracts from it. Even if I disagree, if 5% think it matters, then the overall course rating will be reduced by 5% of the amount that those reviewers deduct.

P.S. Bucksnort can be in the Top 10.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-14-2018, 11:09 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 220
Niced 92 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i've got to disagree with everything said here. using a flood plain is absolutely not a poor design decision. it is a compromise and sort of a risk/reward decision.

so many of the holes at Harmony Bends are incredible golf holes. yes they are on a flood plain but it's great design with a sometimes significant drawback. if using a flood plain is a poor design choice, then building a course anywhere in the north where it snows is a poor design choice. it's basically saying that you'd rather a course not exist if the conditions aren't always playable.

i can see where some might disagree on this point but i also think having a course being sometimes unavailable shouldn't bear on its rating or status. if you are traveling to a destination course and don't do your homework then that's on you. you wouldn't knock on Augusta for being unplayable if you showed up during the Masters. i know the weather is a bit of a different story but the weather forecasts are accurate enough.

plus, in this case accounts seem to indicate that HB drains pretty quickly.
I respect your dissenting opinion.

However, I would like to point out that up north, most of us don't consider a course unplayable just because there's snow on it.

I see a difference between inclement weather (e.g., snow) that some may choose to play through while others might not want to deal with and something like significant flooding that makes a course unplayable.

Regardless of people's opinions on the matter, it's probably a good discussion to have!
Old 07-14-2018, 11:11 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

I guess I'd also like to point out that courses being unavailable due to predictable or verifiable reasons (seasonal, due to the schedule of a private owner, etc.) that you could confirm prior to play is much less of a drawback than something unpredictable like flooding.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:14 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Sorry for triple post, but one last thing. Weather forecasts around here, at least, are accurate maybe 50% of the time at best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86
i know the weather is a bit of a different story but the weather forecasts are accurate enough.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 296
Niced 339 Times in 143 Posts

markmcc has made me course jealous again. This time hitting one of my wish-list courses on Prince Edward Island. Hillcrest DGC, another fabulous Houck designed course.

If extending the review minimum down to 10 reviews. Hillcrest would come in at number 2 behind Harmony Bends with a 4.9 (10 reviews)

Hillcrest has a ridiculous 56% favorite percentage
Harmony Bends 36%
Saleh Lakeside 33%
Rollin Ridge 37%
Flip City 47%
Jarva DGP 41%

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...mode=rev#78064

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
What do you get when you take a large beautiful piece of rolling, forested land, and retain John Houck to design a disc golf course with what appear to be no restrictions? You get Hillcrest Farm Disc Golf Course!
Excellent review Mark!

Last edited by wellsbranch250; 07-14-2018 at 01:31 PM.