Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 447 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Also, the Patrol is out of the bag. Yeah, I know, it's the archer not the arrow, but I'm tried of this touchy, inconsistent arrow. I worked with it for a long time in 90+ degree heat (100+ with the humidity factor), and I realized I'm wasting time trying to figure it out; that arrow does not belong in this archer's bag, so sorry.

Don't know what I'm going to replace it with, maybe the Prodigy M4. I've been reading about the Sol, as well.
When things don't click sometimes the best thing to do is move on.

I also have the same approach as Jowie, throwing something stable on anhyzer. If not a nicely seasoned Roc, then how about a Comet? Other than that, have you tried a Meteor? I've seen some great slow turning throws with a Z Glo Meteor.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,148 Times in 1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Maybe a Comet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
When things don't click sometimes the best thing to do is move on.

I also have the same approach as Jowie, throwing something stable on anhyzer. If not a nicely seasoned Roc, then how about a Comet? Other than that, have you tried a Meteor? I've seen some great slow turning throws with a Z Glo Meteor.
Some good ideas, there. Like I need any more discs, but I was thinking of Jowie's concept, and getting a Prodigy M4 in 300 or 350 plastic and letting it season in over time. Biggest problems with that is that availability of Prodigy M4s in those plastics in the weights I want (and in the case of 350 plastic, availability at all).
Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 98 Times in 47 Posts

This may be totally unnecessary, but just in case it should be helpful, you've just got to make sure to commit to that anhyzer line. After so many years of walking on eggshells with super flippy discs, it was hard for me at first to trust throwing an anhyzer with full commitment, but that's what it takes, ime. You might not need such encouragement, but to this day I still have to consciously remind myself to sell out for the line while lining up the shot.

Disregard if it doesn't apply to you!

Niced: (1)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
This may be totally unnecessary, but just in case it should be helpful, you've just got to make sure to commit to that anhyzer line. After so many years of walking on eggshells with super flippy discs, it was hard for me at first to trust throwing an anhyzer with full commitment, but that's what it takes, ime. You might not need such encouragement, but to this day I still have to consciously remind myself to sell out for the line while lining up the shot.

Disregard if it doesn't apply to you!
Thanks for the advice. It's good for me, and good for anyone reading this.

I agree about committing to the line, especially on the shot I need just the right disc for. It is a very tight tunnel of trees that drift downhill and to the right, with heavy trees and foliage on both sides. A tree was perfectly planted to be in the way of the best high anhyzer line, and the curve of the tunnel makes a forehand shot difficult (it might hyzer or skip too hard). So it requires really good touch on the shot, and definitely a committment to hit the gap right and then turn/drift just right.

We'll see how the M4 seasons in for it.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 8 Posts

This goes slightly to your previous post but how would you describe Titanium plastic from Discraft? Being a McBeth-fan I like to see him being on fire after having to get adjusted for a new set of discs during this season.

I will probably gravitate towards ESP plastic since it felt good and similar to a Star. I might invest in getting a Buzzz and I don't know if I should get ESP or Z- even, but ir the titanium brings something great I might look forwards to it.

Have good throws
Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadpe View Post
This goes slightly to your previous post but how would you describe Titanium plastic from Discraft? Being a McBeth-fan I like to see him being on fire after having to get adjusted for a new set of discs during this season.

I will probably gravitate towards ESP plastic since it felt good and similar to a Star. I might invest in getting a Buzzz and I don't know if I should get ESP or Z- even, but ir the titanium brings something great I might look forwards to it.

Have good throws
I personally really love Titanium plastic. if Discraft had made discs in brightly colored Titanium (or any color in any reasonable quantity) when I began getting into DG, I might be throwing more Discraft.

I was comparing the Wysocki Compass, McBeth Roc3, and Doss Ti Buzzz. Put the Buzzz into the bag for its turn, and it didn't come out for a couple of years(!). Great, great disc in Titanium, the Buzzz is.

My first Zone was in ESP, which is good plastic. Then I got a Ti Zone and that was at first throw.

Titanium feels great, isn't too slick, and it's durable. It's like Trilogy's Fuzion/GoldLine/Tourney plastic but a little bit grippier and just a little bit better feeling.

The only negative is that one rarely if ever saw Ti discs in a nice bright color; all to often it was the green or brown of the ground, making it hard to find. But the more recent blue Ti discs are pretty good.

Last edited by SD86; 07-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts

Regarding flippy, short to midrange options - I understand the need for slow US options to feel comfortable/well rounded. Have you thinking of your short understable game as shared between two different, complementary slow US discs? Specifically, as of late I have been bagging a max weight TP Tursas alongside a Star Mirage - the mirage handles higher angle shots and stays right, where the Tursas would get stable and fall out of the sky with that nose angle. The Tursas on the other hand has the speed, glide, and just the right stability to stay in the air on low, fast turnover shots in the woods where the mirage can't get there, and something a little faster like an underworld or sting might get me in more trouble, or requires more power.

On the other hand, sometimes a beat comet or... a really beat Roc(?) might be able to cover more shots. There are precious few discs that are forgiving enough to make me feel comfortable throwing them on powered turnover line drives while also relying on them for touch lofty annys in the woods knowing they won't fade out. Note that I would not consider the Tursas as versatile enough to fill this dual role - it's one of those speed-sensitive US mids. But when you throw it how it likes to be thrown, good stuff.

Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Regarding flippy, short to midrange options - I understand the need for slow US options to feel comfortable/well rounded. Have you thinking of your short understable game as shared between two different, complementary slow US discs? Specifically, as of late I have been bagging a max weight TP Tursas alongside a Star Mirage - the mirage handles higher angle shots and stays right, where the Tursas would get stable and fall out of the sky with that nose angle. The Tursas on the other hand has the speed, glide, and just the right stability to stay in the air on low, fast turnover shots in the woods where the mirage can't get there, and something a little faster like an underworld or sting might get me in more trouble, or requires more power.

On the other hand, sometimes a beat comet or... a really beat Roc(?) might be able to cover more shots. There are precious few discs that are forgiving enough to make me feel comfortable throwing them on powered turnover line drives while also relying on them for touch lofty annys in the woods knowing they won't fade out. Note that I would not consider the Tursas as versatile enough to fill this dual role - it's one of those speed-sensitive US mids. But when you throw it how it likes to be thrown, good stuff.
Thanks for the ideas. I already bag the Mirage. I haven't tried a Tursas, but your description of its flight sounds very much like the Patrol.

Since the recent posts and taking the Patrol out of my bag, I've been experimenting with anny/turnover shots with the Stud and the Panther. I pured the Panther shot on that downhill hole, but it actually went long of the basket (which the sign says is 218 ft. from the tee), and the Stud either falls a little short or fades back left more than I'd like to see. Maybe the Mirage can get there if I can hit the line with it...

The 300S plastic M4 I ordered has not arrived yet (waiting over a week ), but might be that 'just right' disc for this shot or will wear into it. And I get to have fun trying it out.

Last edited by SD86; 07-24-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Snowflake

Update: the 300 plastic M4 is doing very well in that relatively understable mid slot. I've been hitting the line well with it, and it flies consistently. It sometimes goes a bit straight, and therefore left of the target, but in the overall it's a LOT better than the Patrol was doing for me, and with some seasoning-in it might be 'just right'. So Prodigy Discs is represented, and the M4 is in the core bag.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 241 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Update: the 300 plastic M4 is doing very well in that relatively understable mid slot. I've been hitting the line well with it, and it flies consistently. It sometimes goes a bit straight, and therefore left of the target, but in the overall it's a LOT better than the Patrol was doing for me, and with some seasoning-in it might be 'just right'. So Prodigy Discs is represented, and the M4 is in the core bag.
Is your 300 M4 domey or flat? I've tried a couple different ones and they all have been domey.