Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-22-2016, 04:46 PM

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Discraft Mystery Box vs Infinite Discs Mystery Box

So I am a relatively new player and currently only bag three discs (Overstable Driver, Understable Driver, Putter). I was thinking about getting a mystery box to try out some new discs. I see a lot of people saying to rather spend the money on discs you know you want vs spending it on some you won't use but I don't know what discs I want. My question is should I get the Discraft Mystery Box (10 discs at $60, all misprints) or the Infinite Discs one (7 discs at $68, mix of companies and not all are misprints). I see good reviews on both and obviously Discraft is a better deal but should I go for the Infinite Discs one because it has variation of companies? Has anybody gotten both and what are your opinions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

You get allot more with Infinite discs

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL225 View Post
So I am a relatively new player and currently only bag three discs (Overstable Driver, Understable Driver, Putter). I was thinking about getting a mystery box to try out some new discs. I see a lot of people saying to rather spend the money on discs you know you want vs spending it on some you won't use but I don't know what discs I want. My question is should I get the Discraft Mystery Box (10 discs at $60, all misprints) or the Infinite Discs one (7 discs at $68, mix of companies and not all are misprints). I see good reviews on both and obviously Discraft is a better deal but should I go for the Infinite Discs one because it has variation of companies? Has anybody gotten both and what are your opinions? Thanks!
If you like Discraft, go for their box. But if you want to see and feel different company discs and get a more true idea of the varieties out there, go for the Infinite Discs box. I'm a fan of Infinite's service, as well.

Either way, lots of new plastic to try out; ergo, lots of fun coming your way.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

If that includes high speed drivers then I wouldn't get it if I were you. They would be worthless for like a season or 2 or more at least until you can get your throw right. I'd think going to a factory 2nd online store would be better so you know you get discs that you can throw and get them all in the plastics types you need. I'd love to go for the discraft box tho.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second.html

Do they at least vary what types of discs you get or is there a chance that you could get like 5 high speed drivers?

Last edited by demon102; 06-22-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 117 Times in 60 Posts

I've split 3 Discraft misprint boxes with a friend over the years (2 were ESP/Z boxes, the most recent was Limited Edition plastic). Definitely got lots of fast discs in there.

I'd throw another suggestion your way: Marshall St carries lots of misprints/x-out discs at reasonable prices. And if you spend $50, it's free shipping. In this situation it might be better to pick and choose what you get and have them be useful. And all their x-outs are 5% off at the moment.

http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.co...0/X-Out/1.html
Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 163
Niced 1,173 Times in 578 Posts

I second (third?) what Demon and JedV said. Ask some pointed questions around here, figure out what you should try out, and get some x-outs or misprints of stuff that will be useful for you.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,157 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
I'd throw another suggestion your way: Marshall St carries lots of misprints/x-out discs at reasonable prices. And if you spend $50, it's free shipping. In this situation it might be better to pick and choose what you get and have them be useful. And all their x-outs are 5% off at the moment.
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.co...0/X-Out/1.html
I like this idea.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 37 Times in 35 Posts

Imo pick up a Frost Claymore and a Star Teebird. You can find x-outs at Marshall St. for both.

Those are good stable learning discs to go with what you've got, and that will give to a good baseline to evaluate other discs.

Trying to incorporate a bunch of new discs at once, esp. as a new player can be overwhelming which usually means you'll spend the time to click with a couple and the rest will sit and wait until you remember you have em and should give em another try.

It's fun to get new discs and to be pleasantly surprised with how something you never expected to try works out for you, however, so don't let me rain on your parade if your heart is set.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

I might be a little addicted to Discraft's misprint packs. I like their discs, and they have discounts enough that it's an incredibly good value. I got a Z premium pack for $59.99, a LE pack for $69.99, and I've also bought Z and ESP/FLX at normal price. About half my bag is from those misprint packs, and I use many others for practice.

I agree that one "downside" is that you'll get 2-4 ultra high speed drivers (speed 12-13) out of 10 discs. This may or may not be the case with their mystery box. For the price (especially when they're on sale) I think it's still worth it. If you have friends that play, it probably won't be hard to trade a Nuke or Crank for something lower speed. In the last ESP/FLX pack I got, I got a Nuke and Crank (both of which I do like to throw), but then a Surge, two Avenger SS, an XL, a Flash, Buzzz, Comet, and Drone. For less than $8 per disc, I don't think that's terrible. If you're willing to wait until 4th of July, they might have a sale?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

LOL you so make me wanna buy that now, it is a pretty sick deal. So you can order all of 1 type of plastic huh? I like that cuz I woudn't want a bunch of base line plastic for any driver.