Old 05-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,850 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I like the Archon just fine, but have never bagged one.
Teedevil is a little meh. Throwable, but unremarkable.

I'd add the Viking to Innova's list of forgotten drivers. Its a decent driver, but completely unremarkable. It flies like a stubborn Valk or a flippy Thunderbird. Doesn't have great glide either.
The Archon and Teedevil have the "Destrulcan" tops, which did little for glide and was generally unpopular. I liked the Archon, but I like the Mystere's glide better.

The Viking may indeed be a forgotten gem. Not sure why it never caught on; maybe because it was offered in only a couple of plastics. But even before the Thunderbird came out, the Viking never caught on.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

I forgot the Viking. Another blah one. Orcs were my disc of choice until I threw the Wraith.

I feel the Mystere is going to be one of those forgotten discs. If you can try one in Star, do it, they're pretty awesome.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Fiction View Post
I forgot the Viking. Another blah one. Orcs were my disc of choice until I threw the Wraith.

I feel the Mystere is going to be one of those forgotten discs. If you can try one in Star, do it, they're pretty awesome.
I LOVED the Orc when it came out. The Wraith obsoleted the Orc for me. The Wraith just did everything the Orc would, but better.

I like the Mystere, but I don't bag it. That thing behaves like a Tern, but a speed slower. I agree the Mystere will go down in the annals of anonymity. It is a long disc for speed 11.

Mark my words, the Firestorm and Colossus will also go down as unremarkable in the long run. I've thrown both, and neither are really bag worthy.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,415 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I'd add the Viking to Innova's list of forgotten drivers. Its a decent driver, but completely unremarkable. It flies like a stubborn Valk or a flippy Thunderbird. Doesn't have great glide either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Viking may indeed be a forgotten gem. Not sure why it never caught on; maybe because it was offered in only a couple of plastics. But even before the Thunderbird came out, the Viking never caught on.
I've only thrown one Viking in champ, but it was pretty fun. Like a beat to snot Thunderbird...more beat than any one I've thrown but very familiar...or like a worked in CD2. Mild turn, sweeping fade.

I understand why Twmccoy doesn't like it...he can pump out a Thunderbird to a distance that the Viking would not be reliable at, and the Thunderbird will do that on any line and handle wind. And I agree a Valk likely goes farther.

But for people who throw control drivers under 330' let's say, the Viking is likely a great predictable thrower that flies a forgiving line. At that range I bet it flies like the pro's get a Thunderbird to fly. But at this power a Thunderbird will have a very stubborn fade if you miss the shot at all.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,138 Times in 1,007 Posts

The Viking has long been rumored to be Dave Dunipace's favorite. Like slowplastic said, it's a solid distance driver for lower power throwers, for folks that just want a Valk that can be thrown harder without risking the throwler.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
The Viking has long been rumored to be Dave Dunipace's favorite. Like slowplastic said, it's a solid distance driver for lower power throwers, for folks that just want a Valk that can be thrown harder without risking the throwler.
More than a rumor: there is a video out there where Dave D talks about liking the Viking, and being surprised it wasn't a more popular seller.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 904 Times in 603 Posts

Dave is a funny guy, and sometimes reminds me of myself. He makes all the products and and the ones he likes and the ones that take off aren’t always the same.

Happens to me in my business constantly. The things I love and the top sellers certainly don’t always align.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,138 Times in 1,007 Posts

Yeah but I always thought it was weird that he never made it in anything but Champ or DX plastic.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 632 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've only thrown one Viking in champ, but it was pretty fun. Like a beat to snot Thunderbird...more beat than any one I've thrown but very familiar...or like a worked in CD2. Mild turn, sweeping fade.

I understand why Twmccoy doesn't like it...he can pump out a Thunderbird to a distance that the Viking would not be reliable at, and the Thunderbird will do that on any line and handle wind. And I agree a Valk likely goes farther.

But for people who throw control drivers under 330' let's say, the Viking is likely a great predictable thrower that flies a forgiving line. At that range I bet it flies like the pro's get a Thunderbird to fly. But at this power a Thunderbird will have a very stubborn fade if you miss the shot at all.

Thunderbirds can definitely be stubborn if you don't throw them hard enough, or get them nose up. The disc stalls out really short and falls out of the air like a rock. Thunderbirds absolutely beg to be thrown hard. I almost feel that if you have less than 375' max distance you probably won't like the Thunderbird much. It'll fly really overstable.

If I'm having an "off" day with the Thunderbird I won't get any help from it. The Thunderbird isn't forgiving and seems to penalize those "missed" throws with significant loss of yardage and early fade.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Ive always felt that a bunch of pros out there feel like they are pressured to try the latest and greatest from their respective companies and talk about how amazing the discs are. Then once the next latest and greatest comes out they do the same. I think its definitely the younger generation but to me its just never really seemed sincere.
One example of this was last year/season, when a lot of Innova players' ITBs had the new RocX3. Now, I'm not hearing anything about the RocX3. It does not seem to have stayed in many bags....