Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-22-2019, 03:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 130
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,686 Times in 672 Posts

I mean Innova knows what sells and what doesn't. People have different tastes, so some will prefer busy art and some will prefer clean minimalist. They are probably just following trends of what is moving now and trying to hit what will sell the most overall. It's probably a moving target so I would guess they would do art, then minimalist, then back to art, then back to minimalist. Right now the art must be moving so you get the Bullfrog. I won't lie, I almost bought one just for the ridiculous stamp.

It's like fashion, just trying to move the needle toward what people want now. If you are one of the people who waffle back and forth, they might be able to keep you happy all of the time. If you are set one way or the other, they will constantly be making you happy, then making you angry. All they are doing is trying to sell as many discs as possible. It's what they do.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2019, 05:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 15
Niced 378 Times in 241 Posts

I always did like that grinning Barsby stamp. I wish he would bring that back, I haven’t gotten ahold of one yet and I’d for sure buy some rhynos or eagles with that stamp.

It’s not the stamp that keeps me away from the Barsby eagles, it’s the swirly star. It’s always too slick and feels heavy to me. I do need to get a couple roadrunners though. I like the stamp.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 881 Times in 315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
I’m with Horsman on this one. I wouldn’t picking up a Ricky Destroyer or two, but I just don’t see myself throwing something that looks like that.
Discs spend most of the time in my bag and sometimes they fly, but they sure aren't a fashion accessory so stamps are of little concern.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Discs spend most of the time in my bag and sometimes they fly, but they sure aren't a fashion accessory so stamps are of little concern.
This is true.

Only thing I really want other then disc to feel right as well as fly right for the plastic type is colors that stand out from where I am playing. This means the Florescent yellow with hint of Green or the other way around though that gets a bit hard to see at times, the Pinks, and the Oranges as long as it is not a burnt orange are the main colors for anything other then a Putting putter which can be earth tones for the most part. I was lucky with a tie-dye Putter disc (oldest in bag) as the middle center is a orange color, the rest of the disc is blue colors mostly Navy with some gray blue colors to it.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 25
Niced 606 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I mean Innova knows what sells and what doesn't. People have different tastes, so some will prefer busy art and some will prefer clean minimalist. They are probably just following trends of what is moving now and trying to hit what will sell the most overall. It's probably a moving target so I would guess they would do art, then minimalist, then back to art, then back to minimalist. Right now the art must be moving so you get the Bullfrog. I won't lie, I almost bought one just for the ridiculous stamp.

It's like fashion, just trying to move the needle toward what people want now. If you are one of the people who waffle back and forth, they might be able to keep you happy all of the time. If you are set one way or the other, they will constantly be making you happy, then making you angry. All they are doing is trying to sell as many discs as possible. It's what they do.
Thing you missed is if a person does not like a picture stamp they can always wipe the stamp off the disc.

Bullfrog is a disc I would have to buy in person if I bought the disc as the stamp can be very hard to see with the wrong colors to it. I would have to draw over top the stamp or try to dull the stamp that is hard to see what you are looking at if I got the wrong stamp colors online. Innova has shown online that to be possible with the foil flecked silver and gold stamped Bullfrogs.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:49 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 160
Niced 526 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Agreed that discs arent fashion statements, but again why would I buy a disc with bad art when I can get the same disc with good art.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:07 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 130
Niced 1,686 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Agreed that discs arent fashion statements, but again why would I buy a disc with bad art when I can get the same disc with good art.
It's a matter of perspective. In the 90's when I sold discs I threw nothing but red rainbow-stamped Rocs. Over 100 discs passed through my hands a year. If it was two grams too light or something was a little off, I'd pass. There would be a new batch of Rocs next month.

Now when I find a Roc that feels good, the color and the stamp and the weight being 2 grams lighter than I prefer are non-factors. I'm not going to handle 100 Rocs this year. My priorities of what is make or break for purchasing that disc have changed.