Niced 1,816 Times in 1,366 Posts
Default Innova forgotten discs 2019 video

Might be of interest to some of you.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 627 Times in 493 Posts

Is it sad that I've never thrown any of the discs mentioned in that video?

I could think of a few other overlooked Innova discs.....

Archon
Starfire
Teedevil- This isn't a great disc, but I don't think ANYONE ever threw them.
Mamba
Daedalus
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 100 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Is it sad that I've never thrown any of the discs mentioned in that video?

I could think of a few other overlooked Innova discs.....

Archon
Starfire
Teedevil- This isn't a great disc, but I don't think ANYONE ever threw them.
Mamba
Daedalus
Mostly good choices except the Mamba and Starfire. Plenty of guys with weaker arms throw Mambas and they are used by others when you can't get a normal stance but still need distance on your shot. Starfires were plenty popular also but Thunderbirds do the same shots but better and most people have changed over.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAce1978 View Post
Mostly good choices except the Mamba and Starfire. Plenty of guys with weaker arms throw Mambas and they are used by others when you can't get a normal stance but still need distance on your shot. Starfires were plenty popular also but Thunderbirds do the same shots but better and most people have changed over.

I'm one of those people. I bagged a champion Starfire for a long time. I just decided I could do the same things with the Thunderbird, but slightly better. The Thunderbird won out.

I still think the Starfire is underrated. I don't think many people throw them anymore. The disc works great for headwinds or other drives where you don't want the disc flipping.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,372 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
I'm one of those people. I bagged a champion Starfire for a long time. I just decided I could do the same things with the Thunderbird, but slightly better. The Thunderbird won out.

I still think the Starfire is underrated. I don't think many people throw them anymore. The disc works great for headwinds or other drives where you don't want the disc flipping.
I have only had one star Starfire, so not that best sample size. But it was definitely inferior to the Thunderbird and PD. More prone to turning than either, and it was blunter so it would slow down sooner and dump out at the end. Honestly it was good if I needed to throw +/-10' of a certain distance, because it would just go that far and die. But it wouldn't shape lines and glide like a Thunderbird, and wouldn't get downfield and skip like a PD. Basically it was clunkier than either of those discs in flight and fade, and with less wind penetration. I'm just a Teebird type of thrower rather than an Eagle type of thrower, and the Starfire seemed like a clunky dumpy Eagle.

I've only thrown a couple of Daedalus, and they were very flippy. I think the Vulcan is still a great bomber, it just is a bit older so not popular and the feel is shallow. Warp speed drivers are only cool as soon as they are released, then the hype dies.

I think the Colossus is kind of overlooked, it can be very straight and really get out there. I don't bag one and don't love the max rim width stuff, but I've seen and thrown some good golf shots with those.

The Stud is kind of overlooked too...it seemed to have some hype initially but I don't see it often. People want the super OS Zone/Harp style disc, but the Stud is a really good general thrower for someone who drives different putters than they putt.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I have only had one star Starfire, so not that best sample size. But it was definitely inferior to the Thunderbird and PD. More prone to turning than either, and it was blunter so it would slow down sooner and dump out at the end. Honestly it was good if I needed to throw +/-10' of a certain distance, because it would just go that far and die. But it wouldn't shape lines and glide like a Thunderbird, and wouldn't get downfield and skip like a PD. Basically it was clunkier than either of those discs in flight and fade, and with less wind penetration. I'm just a Teebird type of thrower rather than an Eagle type of thrower, and the Starfire seemed like a clunky dumpy Eagle.

I've only thrown a couple of Daedalus, and they were very flippy. I think the Vulcan is still a great bomber, it just is a bit older so not popular and the feel is shallow. Warp speed drivers are only cool as soon as they are released, then the hype dies.

I think the Colossus is kind of overlooked, it can be very straight and really get out there. I don't bag one and don't love the max rim width stuff, but I've seen and thrown some good golf shots with those.

The Stud is kind of overlooked too...it seemed to have some hype initially but I don't see it often. People want the super OS Zone/Harp style disc, but the Stud is a really good general thrower for someone who drives different putters than they putt.
I agree with all of this. The Thunderbird definitely nudged the Starfire out of my bag. Despite it being a speed slower, I get better flights out of the Thunderbird with less harsh fade.

I'm hit or miss on the Daedalus. I've thrown some very good ones, and some super flippy, junky ones. The Daedalus is inferior to the Shryke, Tern, and Vulcan, IMO. The Daedalus is technically an acceptable driver, but Innova makes several other molds that do the job better.

The Colossus is a bit of a weird one for me. It seems to have a fairly narrow window of effective power. If you underthrow the Colossus it'll hyzer stall and fly listlessly. Get it a little too much and the disc turns over hard. I can actually bomb the Colossus well, but its simply too finicky for me to want to bag it. For me the Colossus is almost as flippy as a Shryke, but doesn't glide as well. I'd take a Boss or a Shryke over the Colossus.

I agree some discs become distinctly unpopular after the initial hype dies. The Daedalus and Colossus seem to be 2 such molds. I'd put the Monarch in the same boat. Not a huge fan of that one, and I never see anyone throw Monarchs anymore.

I think Innova's high speed driver lineup is HORRIBLY cluttered right now. They need to OOP several molds. Obviously they need to start with the Groove, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Twmccoy; 05-14-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,372 Times in 1,520 Posts

Quote:
The Colossus is a bit of a weird one for me. It seems to have a fairly narrow window of effective power. If you underthrow the Colossus it'll hyzer stall and fly listlessly. Get it a little too much and the disc turns over hard. I can actually bomb the Colossus well, but its simply too finicky for me to want to bag it. For me the Colossus is almost as flippy as a Shryke, but doesn't glide as well. I'd take a Boss or a Shryke over the Colossus.

I think Innova's high speed driver lineup is HORRIBLY cluttered right now. They need to OOP several molds. Obviously they need to start with the Groove, but that's a discussion for a different thread.
Yeah I think you're right with the Colossus. I'd only thrown fresh Champ ones, and at the time they were a good blend of HSS/LSS for my arm speed and a couple guys I played with. They could be thrown on head high lasers dead straight and get out there on their speed. I wasn't throwing them for max distance and airing them out, but they were a great low ceiling laser. I don't doubt that they have a fine line of speed/velocity trust and effectiveness. Some people definitely had them fading super early when they didn't have the necessary release speed.

It's tricky when high speed discs sell that hope of farther throws. It's a good speed range to keep trying to release new stuff if you're in the business of selling plastic...people will buy new discs when they still have good drivers in the bag in the hopes of another 15'. But with the Wraith/Tern on the slower end, and Destroyer/Shryke on the higher end of that speed Innova can fill your entire driver section of the bag basically. It just depends on if people want 4 of the same mold and 2 of another or if they want to try the new cool releases and have 6 different drivers. They already have winners in the lineup. I may not personally love all of those discs...don't love the Tern's feel/release and I still haven't thrown a bomber stability Shryke for my arm speed, but they are good discs. People will still go back and buy more of those good discs even after they buy the new release to try out.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,816 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
^^^ Agree with this. I'm bagging a Star Stud. I've been using it for a long time, so it's seasoning in a little bit. It pairs very well with my Harp and Mirage.

The XT Colt (featured in the video) is a good disc, especially if you can find an original prototype Colt in XT (or DX). Very accurate and straight, a basket-seeking missile up to 200 ft. or so (for me). Unfortunately for both the Colt and Stud, they did not mold up all that well in premium plastic. My Star Colts were flippy fresh out of the box.

So for me, my Star Stud is a lot like my XT Colt... straight flyer, accurate for longer approach shots, and in the premium plastic I prefer. I do commend them to anyone looking for a shallow approach/throwing putter, and maybe even a putter.

As to the video: Yes, the whole thing is a sales pitch, but I thought the TL3 was not an 'overlooked' disc in any way. The Wombat3 is a good disc and overlooked, for sure. I'm not sure the Pigs are 'overlooked', especially with the 2x World Champ throwing them now, but he made a good case for them in the video...
Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Yeah I think you're right with the Colossus. I'd only thrown fresh Champ ones, and at the time they were a good blend of HSS/LSS for my arm speed and a couple guys I played with. They could be thrown on head high lasers dead straight and get out there on their speed. I wasn't throwing them for max distance and airing them out, but they were a great low ceiling laser. I don't doubt that they have a fine line of speed/velocity trust and effectiveness. Some people definitely had them fading super early when they didn't have the necessary release speed.

It's tricky when high speed discs sell that hope of farther throws. It's a good speed range to keep trying to release new stuff if you're in the business of selling plastic...people will buy new discs when they still have good drivers in the bag in the hopes of another 15'. But with the Wraith/Tern on the slower end, and Destroyer/Shryke on the higher end of that speed Innova can fill your entire driver section of the bag basically. It just depends on if people want 4 of the same mold and 2 of another or if they want to try the new cool releases and have 6 different drivers. They already have winners in the lineup. I may not personally love all of those discs...don't love the Tern's feel/release and I still haven't thrown a bomber stability Shryke for my arm speed, but they are good discs. People will still go back and buy more of those good discs even after they buy the new release to try out.

The Colossus is a fast, beefy looking disc. Problem is, when you really decide to rip on it the thing will flip fairly easily. Some of these really fast drivers have that problem. Like, as soon as you get them up to cruising speed, they want to flip. I found that to get anything out of the Colossus that I had to hyzerflip it somewhat. Even then the Shryke was still beating it pretty easily in distance.

Personally, I think the Shryke and Tern are the two furthest flying discs Innova makes right now. You could possibly add the Vulcan to that list. All are fairly understable, but glide remarkably well and absolutely bomb. Also note, that's sheer distance. Not necessarily on course, accurate distance. The Tern may be 2 speeds slower than a Colossus, but I can throw Terns a LOT further, and with way less effort. The Tern is, IMO, the longest speed 12 disc on the market, and it isn't even close.

Even the Shryke won't magically give someone that 15' they're seeking without a little effort. Sure, the Shryke bombs, but you do need a decent arm to flex it out. Personally, I find the Tern longer for lower powered throws. A Tern will go amazingly far with little effort. I feel like the Shryke is perfect for guys who throw Bosses, but want something just a tad flippier, and with better glide.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Niced 44 Times in 28 Posts

After putting with Pures and Atoms, I'm using XT Colts now and really like them. I'm using a XT Proto Colt for putting but I could use the production run ones too. I use the non proto XT Colt for upshots/drives and a star one also for drives, I like them all.