Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-14-2019, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,379 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Unfortunately for both the Colt and Stud, they did not mold up all that well in premium plastic. My Star Colts were flippy fresh out of the box.

So for me, my Star Stud is a lot like my XT Colt... straight flyer, accurate for longer approach shots, and in the premium plastic I prefer. I do commend them to anyone looking for a shallow approach/throwing putter, and maybe even a putter.
I've only thrown a few Star Studs, and they have all been perfect flyers. Almost like an Envy type of driving putter, I'm sure there are differences if I compared them on all sorts of lines, but it's that kind of throwing putter slot.

When you say that didn't mold up well in premium plastic, do you mean that some runs are wonky? Because we're both saying we like the star Studs, and I consider star a premium plastic.

The only Colt I've thrown was DX that had a bit of wear, and it was very flippy. Like I couldn't throw it over 150-200' flippy, I would trust a DX Aviar more than that disc for driving. I'm not going to draw full conclusions on that mold based off of that one disc, but I do like the Stud a lot more I think. The star Stud can handle all the power I put into it and holds straight, also worked well for FH approaches.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've only thrown a few Star Studs, and they have all been perfect flyers. Almost like an Envy type of driving putter, I'm sure there are differences if I compared them on all sorts of lines, but it's that kind of throwing putter slot.

When you say that didn't mold up well in premium plastic, do you mean that some runs are wonky? Because we're both saying we like the star Studs, and I consider star a premium plastic.

The only Colt I've thrown was DX that had a bit of wear, and it was very flippy. Like I couldn't throw it over 150-200' flippy, I would trust a DX Aviar more than that disc for driving. I'm not going to draw full conclusions on that mold based off of that one disc, but I do like the Stud a lot more I think. The star Stud can handle all the power I put into it and holds straight, also worked well for FH approaches.
I agree that Star Studs are very good (at least my three are), and that they're a lot like my two Envys. The only real difference I saw in comparison throws was that the Envy had less glide than the Stud.

The Star Colts and Studs (and the Champion Stud) molded up domier than their base plastic counterparts. As I said before, the base plastic Colts, and especially the prototype editions, were very accurate discs, very straight, but very accurate on slight hyzer lines as well.

Then the production Colts came out, and they were one of the biggest disappointments I ever experienced in DG... they were not only domier, they were more understable and to the point of flippy (in a bad way). And then the Star Colts came out and AFAIC they were a disaster: domey, understable, flippy, and just not what I'd loved in the base plastic proto-Colts. Some people may like Star Colts; I am not among those players.

Then the Stud came along. And the Star Stud, while domier than base plastic Studs, was more like those original prototype Colts. Not perfectly so, but 'good enough for Government work' as the saying goes. Thrown properly, the Star Stud is very straight with perhaps a bit of fade, holds all the lines well, and has some glide.

The Infinite Discs Tomb is similar to the Stud (comparing S-Line Tomb and Star Stud). Thrown with "oomph", the Tomb is very straight but with more fade at the end than the Stud; and thrown at half-power the Tomb shows some overstability. I was bagging the Tomb, but when I put the Harp back in my bag, it worked (and works) out better to pair the Harp with the Stud.

TL;DR: My comments about the premium Colt and Stud not molding up as well was really directed more at the Colt. The Stud in Star (and Champ) is good stuff.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 534 Times in 238 Posts

I feel like all these new videos from innova lately have just been really forced and not genuine. Makes me want to stop following their social media presence.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 97 Times in 49 Posts

I found a pearly (PFN?) Champ Starfire at a shop the other day. Picked it up to see how it flies. Haven't got to throwing it yet but it sure looks nice!
Old 05-14-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 630 Times in 496 Posts
Default Starfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrihan View Post
I found a pearly (PFN?) Champ Starfire at a shop the other day. Picked it up to see how it flies. Haven't got to throwing it yet but it sure looks nice!
I assume you bought it used? Unless its really beat up you'll probably get something like 10, 4, 0, 3 out of it. When Starfires get beat you'll see a little high speed turn and less late fade.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,818 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I feel like all these new videos from innova lately have just been really forced and not genuine. Makes me want to stop following their social media presence.
I partly agree. Madison Walker seemed genuinely happy with her Colts, and Wysocki likes his Pigs (and he just talks that way on camera; he's never been comfortable when being filmed). But those segments of guys talking the TL3 and Whale were pretty dumb. The INNSIDER videos have not impressed me at all, either.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 872 Times in 597 Posts

Many of these I’ve forgotten... because I didn’t like them. I mean the TL is fine, pro pig is like a wedge winged Harp... but most of these are just a slightly worse version of something else.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 PM

Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts

starfire was a decent disc, vaguely recall it coming out around the orc which most people favored and the pd came out a little later and killed both.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 58
Niced 97 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I assume you bought it used? Unless its really beat up you'll probably get something like 10, 4, 0, 3 out of it. When Starfires get beat you'll see a little high speed turn and less late fade.
Actually no, it's brand new. It's a beaut

Old 05-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 161
Niced 534 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I partly agree. Madison Walker seemed genuinely happy with her Colts, and Wysocki likes his Pigs (and he just talks that way on camera; he's never been comfortable when being filmed). But those segments of guys talking the TL3 and Whale were pretty dumb. The INNSIDER videos have not impressed me at all, either.
Agreed with at least Madison seeming genuine with her response and Ricky is Ricky, its more all the rest of the videos. I think I might be getting too old to understand a lot of the marketing tactics companies are using now a days.