Old 09-16-2020, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 1383
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 987 Times in 339 Posts

Also be wary of the pandemic - different regions may have different rules, but the touring pros have adhered to fairly strict guidelines set by the dgpt to be able to remain on tour and be able to attend certain events. How strict each individual is about following the guidelines is obviously up to them - my interactions with them were across the board when they were here in the midwest. Autographs for example - they are not allowed to sign autographs, though many still would, several would not. Many of them might shy away from one on one instruction for this reason alone.

Also, touring pros might not be the best instructors - just because they can throw well doesn't mean they know how to teach it. Many of the well known instructors in this region are in the 975-1000 range, they have experience working with many levels of players and doing form critiques and working one on one. A post on the local facebook page could point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
To add to this. I previously posted (A YEAR OR MORE AGO) about how a Pro-Am would be a great thing to do before each professional tourney, to help boosts purses and provide an additional way to make money for the players. If you have a quality field of pros it would be a no brainer to bring in $50-100 from 60-80 area players, increasing the purse by several thousand $.
This is a great idea I think. I played in a couple golf pro ams before the Shell Houston Open years ago and even playing with one of the lower ranked pros was eye opening, fun and helpful.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 323 Times in 157 Posts

As Martin says, find an instructor.

As part of the tour, we see top pros doing clinics which I’m sure are contractual requirements.

If they are offering teaching you would expect it to be an advertised service of some manner.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 103
Niced 210 Times in 108 Posts

It's no secret, reaching out to top players for advice is the best way to improve, just pick the right times to do it. Casual rounds, pre/post clinics are best, not during tournaments or random online requests. Be specific on flaws or areas to improve. Be polite and thankful and practice it.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,584 Times in 885 Posts

Typical fees for an hour lesson are 50.00 per person, and most pros will ask you to bring a friend or two (each paying 50.00) so they make more for their time. I don't know which players will be at this particular tournament, but guys like Philo, Barsby, McCray, Stokley have all responded to my inquiries in the past. I doubt any touring pro will agree to play a full round with them for 100.00, unless it's with 3-4 other guys each paying 100.00. But definitely contact them, let us know how it goes!

Old 09-16-2020, 03:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 200
Niced 267 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger129 View Post
Yeah, my hopes aren't super high but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. The tournament is two weeks after USDGC so I'm not sure if that helps or hurts my chances. Someone like Chris Dickerson will probably go home to TN before traveling back out to Myrtle Beach but I'm not sure about someone like Uli or Barsby that live much further away. Keeping my fingers crossed either way!
The DGPT Championship is the weekend after the USDGC, in Charlotte. So, depending on who qualifies for that, they may stay on the road and go straight to Myrtle. Don't know what their travel budgets are like, but spending a couple of days at the beach, after back-to-back tournaments sounds like a good life!
So, if they are hanging out for a couple of days, picking up some extra cash would be appealing to them. I like the idea of posting a comment on the MBO page and MBDGC Facebook page, you might get a taker!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I doubt any touring pro will agree to play a full round with them for 100.00, unless it's with 3-4 other guys each paying 100.00.
Imma save you some money on this one.

1. Stalk a DGPT course a few days before an event
2. See target pro approach hole #1, let him tee off unmolested
3. Tee off solo behind him, play extremely fast so you are on his butt
4. Make sure you approach teebox only after he has a throw out there
5. When he asks you to throw through, accept and throw drive
6. Wait expectantly for pro to continue play with you, if he protests just say since he already has a drive out there you will play with him on this hole and go off solo on the next
7. Ask for your new best friend's digits and tell him you know the best local brewery in town if he is down for a beer

Old 09-16-2020, 03:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,584 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
1. Stalk a DGPT course a few days before an event
Btw...this works. Maybe not as well with the virus going around. But typically no one can stop you from walking with them as they play a practice round. You can learn alot from that as well. I walked a few holes with Shusterick years ago, man he played fast and seemed only interested in drives off the tee. lol..
Old 09-16-2020, 03:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 338 Times in 160 Posts

Climo mentioned in a very old video that he gives lessons by playing you for $50 a hole

Old 09-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 306 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Climo mentioned in a very old video that he gives lessons by playing you for $50 a hole
I have thought about issuing open skins challenges to pros. Let's be honest though, in KC's day pros would play for 1 hot pocket per hole.