Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 09-16-2020, 02:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 254 Times in 121 Posts

I would like to play in a league, but haven't had time to look around for what/where/when. I can definitely understand that some leagues and league events are not run well.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,525 Times in 727 Posts

I've been playing for almost 20 years and have played exactly 0 tournament or league rounds. It's just not my thing. It's more fun imo, just playing with the wife and/or a few close friends.

Except in the winter. Then it's pretty much all solo rounds for me. 😁

Old 09-16-2020, 02:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Niced 163 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Almost always this. Sometimes you well get a worst shot or tough shot round, but 99% of the time it is a scramble format.

As an aside, I always found the ball golf terms of "best ball" and "scramble" insanely confusing. In disc golf we call a scramble "best shot" or "best disc", meaning you take the best shot and throw from there. It only recently became apparent why "best ball" makes sense in ball golf; good golfers actually use the same ball for an entire hole, and as such the "best ball" would be the overall score that ball got on the hole. I guess my habit of losing balls left and right made that connection hard to see.

I should also answer the begged question; "worst shot" plays from the worst position on every throw including putts, meaning you need to make both putts. "Tough shot" plays from the worst position but only a single putt needs to land.
Best ball in ball golf is actually when teammates each play the hole on their own and the lowest score is the one that counts for that hole. No one wants to play that way in disc golf from what I can see, even though it is a great format for handicaps. Alas, you have to assign hole handicaps for it to work properly, which i did based on past results. Still no one wanted to play.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 283 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Best ball in ball golf is actually when teammates each play the hole on their own and the lowest score is the one that counts for that hole. No one wants to play that way in disc golf from what I can see, even though it is a great format for handicaps. Alas, you have to assign hole handicaps for it to work properly, which i did based on past results. Still no one wanted to play.
Yeah that's what I said. And hell no nobody wants to play that format, what is the fun in that? Playing "Best Ball" changes nothing about how the game is played, it only changes who wins. Disc golf "best shot" fundamentally changes the way the game is played.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.8
Niced 163 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
It is kind of a mixed bag for the casual player.

I get your overall point, but I might have very limited time to play disc golf. So all these different leagues at my local course during prime playing hours result in less opportunities for me to play disc golf.
The point being if you need to support the local club whether or not you play league events if the course(s) you play are club courses. Some courses are put in and maintained by parks departments for which no support is necessary.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 15 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Almost always this. Sometimes you well get a worst shot or tough shot round, but 99% of the time it is a scramble format.

As an aside, I always found the ball golf terms of "best ball" and "scramble" insanely confusing. In disc golf we call a scramble "best shot" or "best disc", meaning you take the best shot and throw from there. It only recently became apparent why "best ball" makes sense in ball golf; good golfers actually use the same ball for an entire hole, and as such the "best ball" would be the overall score that ball got on the hole. I guess my habit of losing balls left and right made that connection hard to see.

I should also answer the begged question; "worst shot" plays from the worst position on every throw including putts, meaning you need to make both putts. "Tough shot" plays from the worst position but only a single putt needs to land.
Thanks for the info.. the term scramble was slipping my mind even though I've played a lot of 4 man scrambles in the past in golf.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 237 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:

In ball golf, the term 'best ball' has been mis-used to identify you and your partner each playing a shot, then picking the 'best' of the two and playing from there. Officially that is called a "scramble" (USGA rules 9c). But that is by the 2019 rules. When I started playing ball golf, "best ball" was officially each team mate playing their own ball and using the best score, while "captain's choice" was each team mate playing a shot, deciding which shot to use (usually the better player would decide, hence captain's choice) and play from there. But somehow, somewhen, captain's choice started being called best ball and it went on from there.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 126 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Yeah that's what I said. And hell no nobody wants to play that format, what is the fun in that? Playing "Best Ball" changes nothing about how the game is played, it only changes who wins. Disc golf "best shot" fundamentally changes the way the game is played.
Actually it does as you can throw strategically based on your partners throws. Is he parked for birdie on a little short hole? Well then run the heck out of it and try to ace it. If you go 40 long? Who cares? Partner throws deep in the woods right off the tee on a long par 4, well maybe you should disc down to a mid and stay in the fairway. Just play safer. Stuff like that. It's not as drastic as a scramble but it still has it's differences.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 527
Niced 93 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I've been playing for almost 20 years and have played exactly 0 tournament or league rounds. It's just not my thing. It's more fun imo, just playing with the wife and/or a few close friends.

Except in the winter. Then it's pretty much all solo rounds for me. 😁
How do you know, for sure, if you've never tried?

Old 09-16-2020, 04:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,128 Times in 959 Posts

The beauty of disc golf is that there is no one way to play. For example, I no longer have an interest in casual rounds. I only play for $. Weeklies, tourneys, skins, whatever. If there's cash I'm interested, otherwise I have other things to do. I've played enough casual rounds over the years. My priorities have changed, and that's alright.