Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,591 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Oh, and Ron Russell threw a Cyclone roller in 1999 that circled #4's basket. The crowd roared.
Russell was at a non-sanctioned event I played in that summer; the final 9 had a really long for the sake of being long safari hole that I though they would be lucky to take a three on. Russell uncorked a Cyclone roller and birdied. It was one Hell of a shot.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 163
Niced 2,074 Times in 980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
climo even said he thought the wraith was almost "too much disc"
It was probably was on 90% of the courses back then. When I got on DGCR or DGR almost a decade ago you would quickly be mocked for throwing distance drivers on hole you could easily reach with a FW driver or even a mid. Chris Hysell was like one of the few that was like "Eff it, it works so I'm doing it. Suck it, strategy Nazis."
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Just because a hole is further doesn't mean a big arm has a big advantage - even if the hole is wide open.

People, for the most part, don't understand difficulty in our sport very well.
Yep, the lines required to hit are much more demanding, especially with so much OB used now. What's impressive about our big arms today is that the elites are able to hit these lines with precision as well as get big distance. We do a much better job today of using wind, elevation change, water, etc to require skill as much as raw power to score well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 View Post
Barry Schultz was also a force to be reckoned with. He had alot of distance, but also was extremely accurate. Other guys had more distance but compared to Schultz, they looked like loose canons. For an example, see the second to last hole of the final 9 in the 1999 PDGA worlds. 911 feet, Schultz put his 2nd shot 12 feet behind the basket for a 3. Climo and Stokely were all over the fairway, mostly way off the right of the fairway.

Also notable was that Stokely was one of the few back then who used a forehand with any regularity. And the guys who threw for distance relied on s-curves (they called them helixes back then), not many threw big horking hyzers for distance except Stokely.
For Barry's age he's still got really impressive distance. His form is still probably one of the most efficient ones around.

And guys, for the love of all that is holy, please use 'farther' instead of 'further' when discussing measurable distance. You're killing my irrational pet peeve-o-meter.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 137
Niced 329 Times in 153 Posts

Thank you for farthering this discussion BroD.

Niced: (3)
Old 04-19-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 2,830 Times in 1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
i appreciate all your wisdom

i find throwing the high speed and/or hella OS discs to be way more difficult on my body

give me a nice neutral speed 9 and i can throw just as far but with more accuracy
This...pretty sure distance drivers peaked with the Valkyrie.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,368 Times in 1,471 Posts

IIRC Christian Sandstrom said he went a decade undefeated in distance competitions. That's a GOAT/Climo-esk record.

Niced: (2)