Old 09-06-2018, 12:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 88 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If it's a room secured by the tournament (which is typically the case when it is at a discounted rate), I don't see why it's so ridiculous.
Competition Manual section 3.01
A. All PDGA members should refrain from any conduct which is detrimental to the game of disc golf and to the PDGA, both on and off the course.

Section 3.03
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA-sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
7. Activities which are in violation of federal, state or local laws or ordinances, park regulations or disc golf course rules. Tournament Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official tournament warning prior to disqualification may be issued by a Tournament Director where appropriate.
Even though it is off the course, if the hotel sold rooms at a discounted rate for the tournament, when a player is at that hotel, they should consider themselves to be still at the tournament. I mean, the fact that the hotel is contacting the TD of the event to inform him of what happened shows that the players aren't anonymous citizens while staying at the hotel. They're representing the event whether they want to admit it or not.
This, if nothing else ^^^^
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 459 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Kicked out of the motel? Sure. Banned from the tournament? Ridiculous.
Exactly what I said in my post.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 44
Niced 264 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
If it's a room secured by the tournament (which is typically the case when it is at a discounted rate), I don't see why it's so ridiculous.
A. All PDGA members should refrain from any conduct which is detrimental to the game of disc golf and to the PDGA, both on and off the course.

Section 3.03
B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA-sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this conduct include but are not limited to:
7. Activities which are in violation of federal, state or local laws or ordinances, park regulations or disc golf course rules. Tournament Directors are granted the discretion to disqualify a player based on the severity of the offending conduct. An official tournament warning prior to disqualification may be issued by a Tournament Director where appropriate.
Even though it is off the course, if the hotel sold rooms at a discounted rate for the tournament, when a player is at that hotel, they should consider themselves to be still at the tournament. I mean, the fact that the hotel is contacting the TD of the event to inform him of what happened shows that the players aren't anonymous citizens while staying at the hotel. They're representing the event whether they want to admit it or not.
OK, I stayed at a host motel but used a senior discount and NOT the tournament discount. Please try to disqualify me. I dare you. 3.03 pertains only to activity during an event. 3.01 is a joke. Unless they change "should" with "must", it's a suggestion, not a rule. Who is to decide what detrimental conduct is? Again, I dare you to disqualify me for activity away from the event using either of these rules.

Last edited by da Crippler; 09-07-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 233
Niced 831 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
OK, I stayed at a host motel but used a senior discount and NOT the tournament discount. Please try to disqualify me. I dare you. 3.03 pertains only to activity during an event. 3.01 is a joke. Unless they change "should" with "must", it's a suggestion, not a rule. Who is to decide what detrimental conduct is? Again, I dare you to disqualify me for activity away from the event using either of these rules.
Why would anyone not be in support of punitive action, taken against players acting like jackwagons and providing anybody with ammunition to tarnish the image of the game? We fight an uphill battle with our reputation already, why protect those not interested in promoting a positive image at an event such as this? Sometimes the needs of the many out weigh the needs of yourself. I realize there are some that think this an infringement upon their rights, but such entitlement is wrong, when others are harmed. Why should others lose the privilege of a hotel discount, because some don't think they should be beholden to the rules?

This is not about telling others what they can and cannot do, it is about the adult decision making process, of when and where it is appropriate to do so. If you want to break the rules or the law, punishment is a distinct possibility. The inability to foresee the possible consequences of your own actions is sad, but not an excuse for exclusion from punishment.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 78
Niced 17 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:

Section 3.03
Umm, using a banned substance is still federally illegal so the TD would have every right to issue a DQ under the bolded language above. If you are playing additional rounds after said activity it is a pretty easy argument to say you are still participating in the event, whether on the course at the moment of the infraction or not. Heck, the hotel has every right to kick you out as well. No amount of machismo overcomes that.

Niced: (3)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,019 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Way to misconstrue the argument. If you're not using the tournament discount, you aren't likely to be associated with the tournament in the eyes of the hotel. If they have a problem with you, they'll go to you directly. But when it is a tournament-discounted room, it usually means that the tournament reserved a block of rooms. To the hotel, the tournament is as responsible for the occupants of the rooms as the occupants themselves.

As for who decides what detrimental conduct is...the TD decides. Or the PDGA disciplinary committee decides. If the conduct puts a sponsor deal in jeopardy for the tournament, is it not reasonable to call that detrimental? If two players get into a fight at the tournament sponsored player party at a local bar, do you think the TD has no authority to disqualify the players from the event and that he must let them continue playing the next day? Even if the bar shut the party down and told the TD they weren't welcome back next year?

I wasn't arguing that the TD should or must take action in these cases. I'm only arguing that a TD would be within his authority to do so.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 703 Times in 341 Posts

So basically any player who has 3-4 beers after their tournament round and drives back to the hotel, could potentially be DQ'd.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,019 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
So basically any player who has 3-4 beers after their tournament round and drives back to the hotel, could potentially be DQ'd.
DQ'd just for driving drunk? Probably not. But if he's pulled over and arrested for DUI, and the headline in the local paper the next morning is "Disc Golfer leaves tournament drunk", the TD might be justified to DQ the player.

It's not necessarily about the action itself. It's about how the action impacts the tournament and/or the reputation of the sport.

Niced: (3)

Old 09-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 79
Niced 616 Times in 286 Posts

Ok so rules aside....Those of you who insist on smoking whatever in your hotel rooms and doing whatever you want in the places that support the Ledgestone whether or not it pisses these businesses off - I wonder...when the pissed off business decides to drop the support/sponsorship/discounted room rates you will step in and make up the monetary difference to Ledgestone right?

Lol yeah right.