Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 616 Times in 286 Posts

By the way, If you can get up to the Keweenaw in the next week or so the colors are absolutely popping. Calumet Township Park DGC is freaking awesome. 27 holes of upper Michigan plastic tossing bliss. I just got back from visiting one of my prodgeney at Michigan Tech and wish I could have stayed a day or two longer to play some more...
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 45
Niced 146 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
By the way, If you can get up to the Keweenaw in the next week or so the colors are absolutely popping. Calumet Township Park DGC is freaking awesome. 27 holes of upper Michigan plastic tossing bliss. I just got back from visiting one of my prodgeney at Michigan Tech and wish I could have stayed a day or two longer to play some more...
I second this. Gonna be playing Calumet tomorrow once the SNOW stops. Btw Lake Linden's teepads suck but otherwise it's a solid bomber open course.

I originally came to this thread today to inquire about Michigan Tech's course - I have played their 9-er, but I stopped by to check it out today, and there is a new map with 14 holes listed and things seem to be moved around. Didn't have time to play it today, but I would like to give it a shot here soon as I'm in town for a few days.

Someone at the Keweenaw Open a few weeks ago told me they changed it and screwed it up really bad (not that the original 9 was great to begin with), but at first glance, the new hole 1 looked like a lot of fun - 380 feet bending right, over an open field with a line of spread apart little 15 foot trees, with the basket in the mouth of the woods, by where the old hole 9 basket was. I guess I'll just have to play the rest to find out. Either way, there is technically a "new" course in Houghton - the old 9 holer at MTU is now gone. If I play it I'll update the course page.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
I second this. Gonna be playing Calumet tomorrow once the SNOW stops. Btw Lake Linden's teepads suck but otherwise it's a solid bomber open course.

I originally came to this thread today to inquire about Michigan Tech's course - I have played their 9-er, but I stopped by to check it out today, and there is a new map with 14 holes listed and things seem to be moved around. Didn't have time to play it today, but I would like to give it a shot here soon as I'm in town for a few days.

Someone at the Keweenaw Open a few weeks ago told me they changed it and screwed it up really bad (not that the original 9 was great to begin with), but at first glance, the new hole 1 looked like a lot of fun - 380 feet bending right, over an open field with a line of spread apart little 15 foot trees, with the basket in the mouth of the woods, by where the old hole 9 basket was. I guess I'll just have to play the rest to find out. Either way, there is technically a "new" course in Houghton - the old 9 holer at MTU is now gone. If I play it I'll update the course page.
Never took the time to play the MTU course. Played it once a few years ago and that was enough for me. I didn't find out they had 14 now until right before I was scheduled to leave. There are some maps in the MTU bookstore and between that and my vague recolection I think the new layout looked like an improvement but there's no way to know for sure until you get out there and play it.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Never took the time to play the MTU course. Played it once a few years ago and that was enough for me. I didn't find out they had 14 now until right before I was scheduled to leave. There are some maps in the MTU bookstore and between that and my vague recolection I think the new layout looked like an improvement but there's no way to know for sure until you get out there and play it.
Whelp it was definitely NOT an improvement... I'll give details in my review once the page is updated.

It'll be a shame having them take out the course page and replace it with a course that's worse.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhilss View Post
Whelp it was definitely NOT an improvement... I'll give details in my review once the page is updated.

It'll be a shame having them take out the course page and replace it with a course that's worse.
How could it be worse? I mean, you'd have to work really hard to do that.

Yeah...I'm real interested in seeing your reveiw...

-Dave
Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
How could it be worse? I mean, you'd have to work really hard to do that.

Yeah...I'm real interested in seeing your reveiw...

-Dave
Basically the original, while nothing special, was playable and had fair lines. The new design, aside from holes 1 and 2, are just spray and pray.

They cut out maybe half the trees needed to create a tight, but fair wooded course. The skeleton of good fairways ARE there, but where there should be one tree splitting the fairway, there's like five.

Hole 3 has a corner to get around about 40 feet off the tee, then goes straight for about 150 feet. No disc can hit a corner that sharp and then go dead straight. Hole 4 has a pair of giant bushes 10 feet directly in front of the tee, with a 250 foot narrow fairway afterwards, with a 3 foot window to get through the bushes.

The upside is, this all CAN be improved - if the right people listen. Move the rubber pad for hole 3 so that it is a realistic angle, cut out the bushes on 4, and cut out the middle of the fairway trees so that you can actually have the birdie chance on the holes.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 24
Niced 33 Times in 21 Posts

I just got sent an article that Montcalm Community College (between Stanton and Greenville) has put in a course. Looking at the satellite view it seems like there might be the possibility for a serviceable course there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out over Thanksgiving.

Niced: (1)