Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 200 Times in 153 Posts

I'm also shrugging my front shoulder up. I know you've dealt with that too slowplastic.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Eagle Member

To add to my previous analysis, I think I was simply thinking about releasing/throwing with my shoulder instead of my elbow/forearm and that alone is what gave me an extra 30-50' of distance. It's a good sign if I can get 350' with this bad looking form haha, so I'm excited to continue working on it and improve.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,737 Times in 1,701 Posts

See post #8.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
See post #8.
Eureka, the weight shifts from behind me, not in front! I watched the video before but now it's making more sense. I think doing that will also help allow me to keep the disc out wider because my balance won't be so far forward. Ok I'm starting to learn this language.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

I think you're still striding/planting too far ahead of you as well. Currently you're trying to get "to" the plant foot, instead of dropping/driving into it and ending up on top of it. This likely is also affecting how your body will get your throwing arm into position (may be contributing to why you're not getting to the elbow forward position). Not shifting from behind you as well, as you noticed.

I don't think you're having the shoulder shrugging issue I did. You're just not keeping the upper arm out from the body enough so that the arm collapses to the chest and it looks squished. I actually used my shoulder to reach back incorrectly.

Your FH is a bit off I think, the arm is moving well before/in front of the hips. It looks like you just need to gain some confidence with it, then let the hips fire and the arm catch up then add to it. It's likely a similar issue you have to your backhand...you're trying to make the throw happen rather than letting your body cause the throw to happen.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Eagle Member

Took some time off due to needing a break and a little shoulder tweak. Finally got back to throwing yesterday and I was consistently putting Teebirds and PDs out to 350' on straight/hyzer lines which felt nice. I was focusing on striding a little slower and being slower/smoother in general and really following through with my arm on the drive (I think I was unintentionally slowing down before). No new videos but hopefully I'll get some this coming week.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Alright, it's been a while since I've been able to take video, but hopefully I'll have more time for practice now.

First, some ego boosting for myself: I was able to push into the 360-370' mark again the past couple days. So that feels good, but my form is still **** and that's why I'm here.

I finally broke down and did some standstill shots. They felt super awkward, but I was surprised to still get ~230' with my mids. Anyway, what I'm still seeing is that my upper body wants to fully rotate and THEN my arm decides its time to throw. Instead I've got to get the arm moving earlier, but with low power just guiding it into the "power pocket". Right now I'm basically opening my hips/upper body while my arm just stays back. I'm also not keeping my weight on the instep of my front foot (as you can see my knee point out). Additionally, my upper body is doing some kind of funky manuever as I try to move out of the way of the disc maybe?

Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

It looks like you're only focusing on your upper body, and that's causing it to come through at the same time as the lower body, and without a weight transfer (your rear foot jsut spins there). I'd advise a slightly wider stance so you can load into the instep of the rear foot and rear hip, and shift that weight into the plant foot.

You can also pick up the front foot like in this video to load and shift:

Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Eagle Member

Didn't get video today, but was able to consistently put drivers (Teebird/PD/Destroyer/DDX) out to 375-380' on a flat/hyzer line! Easily the furthest I've thrown in my life and it felt relatively effortless too. I was concentrating on "throwing with my shoulder", no idea how to even explain this, but I think it might just be a cue for me to relax my arms and let it whip freely. Of course still always working on trying to stay on my instep and shift my weight better but that's still a work in progress. Because the form is ever changing I'm still struggling with balance and I'm sure there's still a lot wrong, but at least it felt better today. Was too tired to video, but hopefully tomorrow I will get some.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Eagle Member

I think I'm still letting the arm lag behind and opening the upper body too soon. Also my knee looks like its not staying braced.