Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Branching out to different companys, why bother?

I have basically only thrown innova discs since the first time I played disc golf. I have thrown a few discraft molds (buzz, nuke avenger) but i have always gone back to just innova. I guess it is just a familiarity thing, i know the plastics, flight numbers, etc, and have never really felt like I was lacking a disc in any specific area in terms of speed and stability.

With all the newer companies getting a lot more attention I just thought id post and ask, what am i missing out on?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 205
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 23 Times in 12 Posts

I dunno. I suppose people like you and me just don't have the desire to throw anything and everything on the market. I have tried different companies, but now that I have settled on a couple molds, I just don't really want anything else.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

You're missing out on spending a ton of money on the latest and greatest.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

If you haven't thrown Lat64 or the discs they manufacture for Westside or Dynamic Discs then you are missing out on some sweet grippy and super long glide plastic. Other than that I don't know. If you don't feel you need anything but Innova keep throwing it. If you want to find out for yourself what others have to offer you should sample some.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Until about 9 months ago, I was an total innova guy. But I was having issues replacing my lost are broke in disc as they just didn't seem to do the same. Well I didn't pull the trigger on switching until I played some night rounds. I heard MVP had some of the best glow disc. So I played a few rounds and they made it in the day bag. I figured well trying out one company, maybe get another. And got three basic discraft ti buzzz,wasp, and stalker. 2 of those three made it in. So then played in a few tourneys and got some dd and westside and lat 64 disc. And 6 of 8 made them in the bag replacing disc. My scores seem better then before. I feel like these disc have been better compliments for my game. Part of it maybe the fact that my game got better because I stopped all the high speed disc.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Big Country

Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 165 Times in 92 Posts

The greatest disc golfer of all time has only ever thrown Innova (in his pro career) so why switch?

I to was an Innova guy until last year, just because they were what I was used to and so easy to find. I'm not ashamed to say I tired new companies because their discs looked better. Now I have a very mixed bag. I wouldn't say you're missing out on anything per se, but its always fun to try new things. If you can get other companies in your area for a decent price, its always cool to just try something else. Luckily disc golf is a pretty cheap sport.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 288 Times in 146 Posts

Because of the double-mold MVP discs have unique flight patterns, and a different feel when you throw them. And another vote for the Swedish plastic. I love Innova's CFR and old DX, but other than those two, I may like some molds, but not the plastic.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.6
Courses Played: 128
Niced 143 Times in 79 Posts

I throw a mixed bag. My bag evolves all the time. Right now, most of my drivers are Innova, but I mainly throw a trio of Stalkers (cryztal, esp, z) and a XXX. I have a flx Drone, QSentinel, QMS for mids and VP, Ridge and eze Pure for putters.

I really like Lat64, Vibram and Millennium discs. To each their own.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am mostly a Innova guy as well, except for my Buzzz, just cant live without that disc. At some point I may branch out and try other brands, but for now, want to focus on learning to shape my lines with some DX Innova.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

You are really not missing out on much performance wise. There is no point in branching out if it bothers you. It is quite the opposite for me, I find it stimulating to branch out and try any and every disc. If I wasn't so cheap and didn't have so many hobbies I would have a disc collection...probably a big one.