Old 08-27-2018, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 784 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Cool story bro, some of us FH it for hyzer shots.
But, why?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 11:38 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 220 Times in 67 Posts

To be fair we do a lot of custom stamps on Destroyers because, well, it sells so well. So that gives some people a reason to repeat buy. Often Destroyers are ordered in 2s or 3s even, just because people need backups to their backups.

The funny thing is around here, I only know one person that actually uses a Destroyer for main distance, and he's 982 rated or something. I know a lot of people have them but... I don't actually see them whipped out as much. Maybe I need to play with some new local groups haha.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 957 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitedylan View Post
I'll also say that with Firebirds and Destroyers both, people who physically come into the store feel up every one, often examine the PLH, and comment which ones will throw the best, etc. We even get emails a lot about checking the dome and the PLH (or is it PHL, I always forget). I think Firebirds and Destroyers have been made so long that people always buy new ones to see how they fly even though they have plenty.
I do that with Firebirds....

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 139 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I said, for me. I rarely forehand, and when I do, I use clean form.
Oh, you use clean form, huh? Cool man. Wish I could do that.. maybe then Id think a Firebird was a useless forehand driver, too.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I don't understand why speed 8-10 drivers aren't the top sellers. Right before checkout a pop-up should appear saying 'are you sure you wouldn't rather buy a Valkyrie'. I like that Infinite posts these statistics but I really question the long-term benefit of new players buying D's (& the like) & getting so frustrated that they walk away & don't buy more discs down the line.
Well, no one ever said that new disc golfers exercised common sense when purchasing discs. Valkyries are still extraordinary sellers, but I think they sell more off the shelves at actual stores rather than from online retailers.

I'm almost convinced that most new DG'ers are going to buy discs from a store like Dicks rather than order online. They don't know what they're buying anyway and probably want to feel the disc in their hands before they buy it. I know when I was a new DG'er I'd throw pretty much anything I could find. Luckily I actually learned fairly early on how different molds flew and whether I could throw them properly or not.

I fully agree that a brand new disc golfer (someone who likely throws under 300') wouldn't benefit at all from a Destroyer.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 08-28-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 220 Times in 67 Posts

One of my first discs was a Nuke, because it said it would go far!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:31 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 670 Times in 577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I don't understand why speed 8-10 drivers aren't the top sellers. Right before checkout a pop-up should appear saying 'are you sure you wouldn't rather buy a Valkyrie'. I like that Infinite posts these statistics but I really question the long-term benefit of new players buying D's (& the like) & getting so frustrated that they walk away & don't buy more discs down the line.
I get it, I saw bran new players getting some disc back in the 2000's that for a bran new player should not have ever been used like an Orc or a beefy Avenger after 2006 and only when they got to the course to play did they realize the mistake of not having a putter and or other discs as well.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 177
Niced 646 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
I'll never understand the Firebird. That mold would be useless for me.
I could say the same thing about Destroyers. I wonder how many people buy them that can actually throw them, and how many people buy them cuz the guys they see on YouTube can throw them.

I love Firebirds but they ain't distance discs. Forehands, skip shots, headwinds. You need something like this in your bag.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,033 Times in 607 Posts

I bought a bottom stamped star Destroyer, threw it once and then laughed at my own stupidity. . and then gave it away

Old 08-28-2018, 08:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 100
Niced 117 Times in 63 Posts

I think I might have accounted for most of the Comet purchases

As a person that works in numbers day in and day out, I do find this type of data interesting. Out of curiosity, did you see a jump in Groove sales after McBeth posted a picture that he was throwing a few of them?

Do you guys experience the "1-800-FLOWERS" symptom at all in terms of influx of business?