Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 4
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default top sellers

i've been to different websites checking out discs and bags that i might like and i noticed on 3 sites or so the top selling disc is the Archangel.

it is supposed to be a beginner disc and i dont think beginners shop online much for their equipment.

are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for? i have one but i used it for the first 2 weeks i played then now it is sitting under my bed.

also the boss isn't even a top seller on some sites. i thought people would be all over the first speed 13 disc.

(www.discgolfcenter.com) is an exception to both things i stated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by iDisc; 10-19-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'd say the "beginner" classification is more of a guide to the ease of controlling a disc for a beginner, as opposed to saying it's only for beginners. Advanced players can, I am sure, find uses for all sorts of discs.

Personally, I have a mix of so-called "beginner" discs along with "pro" discs and others in between. I'd venture to say that the bulk of players out there are not going to have monster arms and probably want something a bit more controllable for their level.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 74
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

And there's also the possibility that because it's on the "top ten" list, the more likely a person will pick one up because it seems "everyone else has". More so for those who are less versed in the classification of the flight characteristics; they probably see it on the list and figure "everyone else uses it, probably good enough for me".
Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the Wizard, it basically goes where you send it, for better or worse. It can have a fairly decent fade at the end, but I've learned to use that to my advantage. I've tried (and carry) the soft, supersoft, super stupid soft, and organic Wizards. Each has their use (Though the organic actually replaced the supersoft since I've gotten it).
Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 84
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the wizard..........just like touching it.......................
Old 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisc View Post
i've been to different websites checking out discs and bags that i might like and i noticed on 3 sites or so the top selling disc is the Archangel.

it is supposed to be a beginner disc and i dont think beginners shop online much for their equipment.

are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for? i have one but i used it for the first 2 weeks i played then now it is sitting under my bed.
It might be that the web app is not working, and it is listing the Discs in Alphabetical order.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 117
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
It might be that the web app is not working, and it is listing the Discs in Alphabetical order.
I think that this is much more the case.... I can't speak for the bulk of recreational players, but I know that everyone I play with at tourneys, does not throw or even have an Archangel in their bag.
The discs that are most used by tourney players:
Sidewinder
Beast
Roadrunner
Teebird
Firebird
Wraith
Destroyer
Starfire
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDisc View Post
are top players buying an archangel for their bag? if so what are they used for?
For their bag, no. To give to small children or arch enemies, maybe.

Quote:
edit: Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.
I'm a Wizard thrower. IMO, it's the best putter out there now and comes in the best plastic. It's along the lines of a Challenger or Big Bead Aviar but carries a bit farther for drives and the low end plastic it comes in has all the advantages of DX or D but is more durable.

I'm also assuming they really aren't the most popular discs and that it's more than likely either a bug or marketing ploy.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 254
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Wizard?

I got a Wizard SSS as part of payout from a tourney this weekend and gave it a shot on Sunday. I played a nine-hole course and threw each putt with my usual 169 Omega Super Soft and also with the new 169 Wizard SSS. Everything I threw with them was ~50' or less and I'd say I saw virtually no difference in that limited experiment.

If anything the Wizard was a little more overstable on long putts than the Omega SS, but that could be due to the Wizard being brand new and the Omega having a decent bit of usage under its belt.

ERic

Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 230
Niced 15 Times in 6 Posts

(idisc quote)Wizards. does anyone throw the wizard? i talked to this guy who had one and he let me feel the plastic and the way the disc is shaped. it kinda felt like a an kc aviar and a challenger mixed (challenger with a bead) it felt nice but i didnt throw it. if it is like the aviar i dont want anything to do with it because i hate that putter as of 2 weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I use aviar putt and approach, however, I loved my wizard and got my first ace with it so it is a great putt and approach shot. I can see why it is so competative with the aviar.

I am surprised about the Boss not being a top seller. With the destroyer and wraith being so popular due to speed and power, you would think the Boss would quickly become a fan favorite.

Last edited by JR Stengele; 10-20-2008 at 12:18 PM.