Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How many events for a disc golf "Grand Slam"?
3 8 5.19%
4 95 61.69%
5 10 6.49%
Other 3 1.95%
Disc golf does not need a "Grand Slam" 38 24.68%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 186 Times in 100 Posts

Should a rotating European tourney be considered a Major? I dont see it on my list for this year the only ones that are left are Konnopiste and European Championships. Or is it's slot a Major as the biggest tourney in Europe... This year Konnopiste, next EO, next European Masters?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 650 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Should a rotating European tourney be considered a Major? I dont see it on my list for this year the only ones that are left are Konnopiste and European Championships. Or is it's slot a Major as the biggest tourney in Europe... This year Konnopiste, next EO, next European Masters?
Well, European Open is already a Major. I just want to make that point first.

It's not a "rotating event" in the same way that Worlds is. European Open, as well as the President's Cup, only happens every other year (odd years). For purposes of practical discussion consider this event a surefire bid winner.

Paragraph under spoiler tag is just kinda extra info, a bit tangential to the discussion. Feel free to skip.

Konopiste is a Major this year because of all of the uncertainty around Jarva, and also I don't believe European Masters exists anymore as a brand/tournament. Jussi owns that IIRC and I think he has stepped back a bit from working with Jarva in favor of working in places like Czech Republic, Estonia, etc. Maybe some of our European counterparts can fill in those details if they're pertinent, but that's my long-distance understanding...so grain of salt, ya know?

To better understand all of this we have to have a good understanding of how Majors are awarded, which is through bids, and by region. The PDGA's goal is to have at least one Major in Europe and one in Oceanasia each year, according to their International Bid Guidelines.

A quick look at the past 5 years:

2013: Copenhagen Open (EU), European Open (EU), PDGA Worlds (USA), USDGC/USWDGC (USA)
2014: Japan Open (OA), European Masters (EU), PDGA Worlds (USA), USDGC/USWDGC (USA)
2015: Aussie Open (OA), Scandanavian Open (EU), European Open (EU), PDGA Worlds (USA), USDGC/USWDGC (USA)
2016: European Masters (EU), PDGA Worlds (USA), USDGC/USWDGC (USA)
2017: Aussie Open (OA), European Open (EU), PDGA Worlds (USA), USDGC/USWDGC (USA)

So they're trying to conform a basic pattern, while still allowing for positive deviations - such as Europe hosting 2 Majors in a year in 2013 and 2015. There's also the issue of Oceanasia not having a strong enough scene in general which means that without Shimbo-san (Japan Open TD and frisbee legend) or Jussi (who essentially vouched/consulted for Aussie Open), they're lacking in the experience necessary to handle an event of that caliber.

I say all of this just to give some proper context to the bigger discussion about Majors. In my opinion, formed from my own experiences as well as my relationships with the top pros and "movers and shakers", is that the Majors-as-awarded-currently by the PDGA are events that are seen as the pinnacle of our sport. Especially when talking about the "Big 3" of USDGC, Worlds, and European Open, those events have all of the prestige, tradition, history, and notoriety that is needed to motivate players to play their best. I think 99% of pros will agree that those are the most sought after titles in the sport.

So my sort-of-beef with the posture of this thread is that we already have everything we need in our Majors...in fact we have too much. I think they would stand out much more if we tightened the definition (meaning Amateur and Age-protected events need to no longer be called "Majors"). IMO there should be 4-5 Majors per year, and only 5 if the 5th wheel event deserves it, and we should more properly highlight those events on our calendars as fans (and media!).

Just my .02

Niced: (1)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 650 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My own feelings are the opposite. I'd have no problem with a match play event being part of a Grand Slam---I find some value in winning the top events across a variety of formats.

Not right or wrong. Just a difference in taste.

But I don't think the DGPT championship is there, in status. At least not yet.
I would be 100% OK and would totally encourage a Doubles, Match Play, etc. style event as a National Tour event. In fact even the PGA Tour now does this - the Zurich Classic became a doubles event I believe in 2016.

Most of the time I'm pretty progressive, but in this case I'd prefer consistency personally across Majors since there are fewer (3-4 annually) than NT events (6-7 annually).

Let me ask this question - would Paul's Grand Slam in 2015 be less meaningful if one of those five wins was a Doubles or Match Play event? What if he got through Match play never having to face another Top 5 ranked player?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 435 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
...and European Open. No list is valid without that event on there.
I agree 100% with the Statement.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 125
Niced 1,921 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Let me ask this question - would Paul's Grand Slam in 2015 be less meaningful if one of those five wins was a Doubles or Match Play event? What if he got through Match play never having to face another Top 5 ranked player?
The distinction between match play and doubles is that match play includes someone else's effort, to a much greater degree. Match play might involve luck---or some lower seed knocking a higher seed out for you---but it's still an individual accomplishment.

Four great accomplishments in four different forums has a certain appeal. Worlds and USDGC already have significant differences, though not as much as they did when Worlds was more of a marathon. NT points championship is yet another, though because it's accumulated over a half-dozen events, it's not as dramatic.

But it's a matter of how far from the norm something can go, and still be included. I'd include match play---if a match play event otherwise rose up to the status and prestige of the others---but would draw the line before doubles or team play. I understand how someone else would draw the line on the other side of match play.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 63
Niced 232 Times in 123 Posts

^VTI and WVTI bring the supreme match play scenarios. They are team events so they couldn’t play a part of any “grand slam.” Regardless, they’re pretty “major” in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 192
Niced 165 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
What we really need is four privately owned courses to hold non-pdga tournaments. That would be really cool.
Wow!? We'll see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanguini View Post
Need a new poll about which tournament would you consider next in a grand slam after usdgc and worlds....
Go for it.