Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPutter View Post
#15 short tee at Elon Eager yesterday. Can anybody ID the type? Sorry no head....it was gone when we got there.

100% Common/Northern Watersnake (Nerodia sipedon). The only other Nerodia species in Charlotte is the Brown Watersnake (Nerodia taxispilota) and it has larger blotches on the sides than Northern Watersnakes. It's also worth noting that despite common misidentification making people believe they are, Cottonmouths are not found in Charlotte.

This is a great website for the snakes (and other reptiles/amphibians) of NC.

http://herpsofnc.org/snakes/
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 89 Times in 49 Posts

Poisonous snakes are not common in my state, and I am thankful for that, as I hate all of them, poisonous or not.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 92
Niced 115 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
Poisonous snakes are not common in my state, and I am thankful for that, as I hate all of them, poisonous or not.
Poisonous snakes aren't common anywhere, unless you eat them, because poison must be swallowed or rubbed on the skin. Venomous snakes however...

(does it show I used to teach herpetology?) [insert nerd emoji]

Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 520 Times in 258 Posts

Pretty easy to identify the venomous snakes here in MT.

Does it have a rattle on the tail?

YES --> Venomous!
NO --> Not venomous.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,052 Times in 980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post
Poisonous snakes aren't common anywhere, unless you eat them, because poison must be swallowed or rubbed on the skin. Venomous snakes however...

I just had this conversation with some kids yesterday.

It's an important distinction, but only once you're out of striking range. When closer, either---or the succincter "deadly"---will work.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 86 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post

Well to make a long story short, it sucked! Anybody else have any snake stories out on the course?

Bit of an over reaction it sounds to me. Good chance the snake was non poisonous. You guys have Cotton mouth/Water moccasin's but they typically won't run and can be very aggressive. Maybe a copperhead? The only poisonous snakes you guys should have are water moccasins, Copperhead's and Timber Rattle snakes, which are very rare. I used to do a TON of backpacking and I have seen 1 in my entire life and possibly a few hundred thousand copperheads?? lol. More than likely it was a simple Garter Snake or black/rat snake. Rattle snake sand Copperheads are pit vipers which mean they typically freeze and try and blend into their surroundings because they sense body heat and know that whatever is approaching them is either a potential meal or something that could eat them. But since they detect heat, they work beat at night or when its cooling off. Easy trick to tell if a snake is poisonous is by the shape of their heads. Almost all poisonous snakes in the US will have a diamond shaped head with cat like eyes, and obviously if a rattle follows then run like hell! Almost all non poisonous snakes have a rounded "thumb" shaped head. Some Black snakes that live near copperheads can actually start to resemble them over time. Ive caught black snakes that had similar patterns on their scales to that of a copperhead but were definitely black snakes but the barn they were in had at least 20 copper heads in it so we were thinking its almost like evolution before our eyes??? Ive seen black snakes that were almost completely black but these had a slight diamond pattern but had the rounded head and some were slightly longer. But anyways the head shape tricdk isn;t a 100% fool proof way to know but it works for the majority of the US. I think FL has a few poisonous water snakes that dont fit that pattern but for 99% of the rest of the US its pretty reliable. I used to spend so much time in the woods from either riding or backpacking that i educated myself on what to look for and its come in handy multiple times.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 207
Niced 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default Giles Run

Saw a 4-5 foot black snake on the first hole at Giles Run in Lorton. Always a comforting way to start out your round. Non-venomous for sure but still a little disconcerting.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 89 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake833 View Post

I stand corrected. However, doesn't change my statement that I don't like any of them.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 63
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooow View Post
Saw a 4-5 foot black snake on the first hole at Giles Run in Lorton. Always a comforting way to start out your round. Non-venomous for sure but still a little disconcerting.
I have seen them around that location quite often. When they built the bridge over Giles Run for the cross county trail they filled the stream bed with sharp rocks. I think the snakes crossing over from the ball golf area to the wooded area below hole 4 use the level area near tee 1 as a sunning spot before reentering the woods.

I love those snakes, they eat the small rodents that allow the ticks to have a first meal before moving on to deer and us.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 72 Times in 28 Posts

Americans talking about deadly snakes they might encounter on the course

Although, those rattlers are bloody aggressive, ours seem to run away so long as you make enough noise...but dont suprise them.