Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

I'm in putter limbo again.

But I just ordered one of the 2016 Ledgestone CT Magnets. I think one of the reasons I switched off Magnets was I wanted a stiffer one for putting, but all the D ones felt yucky. Hopefully this one feels nice. I like the softs for throwing, but I'm set on those. I think I have four or five...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 142 Times in 98 Posts

Glad to see people still loving Discraft - don't want them to become the Oldsmobile of DG. They chopped my favorite molds in the Avenger and Wasp. Still.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 32
Niced 303 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Glad to see people still loving Discraft - don't want them to become the Oldsmobile of DG. They chopped my favorite molds in the Avenger and Wasp. Still.
They still make the Wasp. Just in Z & other blends for Ledgestone. I enjoy a mixed bag but if I had to choose 1 it would be Discraft.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 51 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:

They killed the hornet... I thought the wasp was still in production? I miss my hornet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 42 Times in 22 Posts

They sure do still make the Wasp. When I came back to playing after a brief hiatus, I too thought it was discontinued (as it's not listed on discraft's store). But they are still in a limited production of Z, and other plastics for tourney batches. I currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 wasps...

I have been throwing Wasps since I first began playing.

I love the early run raspberry titaniums, ESPs, and old Zs. So I collected as many as I could. I'm stocked up and have a good spectrum of stabilities due to how long some of my wasps have been bagged, and they stay in those slots for a long, long time being premium plastics.

Then I always have a newer, stock Z in the bag for "danger" shots, as they are the most readily replaceable.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 24 Times in 12 Posts

How does a Mantis compare to an S-FD?

How does a Vulture compare to a GStar Thunderbird?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:04 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 85
Niced 39 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Last year I came back to playing after a long hiatus and was pretty bummed to find the Avenger went OOP. It is one of the many Discraft discs that I have been the kiss of death to since I've been throwing strictly Discraft. At one point or another Flash, Talon, Wildcat, Crush, DGA Tsunami, and now the Avenger have been staples in my bag that I eventually replaced.

Since I've been back playing there are a few discs that I have found great. Of course I carry a Zone and use it way more than I thought I would at first. The Undertaker has been in my bag since I threw one for the first time. I carry a TI and Z in my bag currently. I ordered two lighter weight (mid 160's) ESP and Big Z Undertakers to see if they could handle turnover duties on shots that are too long for my Buzzz or Comet. I also might try a Mantis for that shot as well. The Vulture is another great one that has been in my bag since the first throw. I think this comes closest to an Avenger replacement for me.

The only issues with what is in my bag is I just haven't committed to a distance driver yet. I've tried the Nuke, Crank, Punisher, and the DGA Hurricane. I have a Force and Thrasher for the overstable and flippy distance spot, but the in between go to main distance driver I have not found yet. I just need to take a stack of each and do some major field practice and decide on one.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 85
Niced 39 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
I'm in putter limbo again.

But I just ordered one of the 2016 Ledgestone CT Magnets. I think one of the reasons I switched off Magnets was I wanted a stiffer one for putting, but all the D ones felt yucky. Hopefully this one feels nice. I like the softs for throwing, but I'm set on those. I think I have four or five...
I haven't felt the CT Magnets, but I do currently put with two of the Ledgestone CT Challengers. I do like the plastic as its stiff with a decent feel to it. I was a long time Magnet putter before going to Challengers. The best feeling Magnets to me are the old sticker Magnets. I would suggest you try and find a couple of those if you really like putting with Magnets.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatt17073 View Post
I haven't felt the CT Magnets, but I do currently put with two of the Ledgestone CT Challengers. I do like the plastic as its stiff with a decent feel to it. I was a long time Magnet putter before going to Challengers. The best feeling Magnets to me are the old sticker Magnets. I would suggest you try and find a couple of those if you really like putting with Magnets.
I found the worst Magnets in feel were the newer Pro D Soft in or after 2006 and onward and well as the Z plastic, not flat topped like a Magnet should be. The Pro D after 2006 was bad as they had planed on halting production on the soft, at least that was what I heard. the Pro D Soft Magnet is too slick to use, for softer putting putters I like the disc to have grip to it which is why the Jawbreaker works for me.

I like the stiff Pro D and I have one from 2005 at 173-174 grams but feels like 172-173 grams now as now an occasional putting putter when it is too hot for my Jawbreaker magnets. I also use two of the Jawbreaker both with writing on them and the ring of stamp from a 2006 or 2007 regular Pro D Magnet. I had a regular Pro D Magnet until the disc hit a tree in a putt on vacation. The course at Erie State Park NY has a hole that a larger tree, tough rough and a cliff block putts so you can only putt out of one opening that is unobstructed. I chose to attempt a hyser putt around the tree and the disc hit tree so bad it warped and could not be used in late July 2017. Then in August 2017 I Got the Jawbreaker Magnets and Modified them with the Ring stamp from the newer style Magnets as use the ring on stamp for thumb placement. The more broken in straighter Jawbreaker Magnet is labeled Approach Putter for longer putts while the putting putter is labeled Putter only.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatt17073 View Post
I have felt current D Magnets that felt great, although I was dumb and didn't buy any. I just don't live near any stores that sell them so I can't feel them up.

I don't really want to go hunting for old discs. I do have an old four chain soft that I usually use as my thrower, but that was just luck in a used bin.