Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 54 Posts

Speaking of coming back and finding things OOP, I'm playing again after a 7 or so year break and see that the Reaper is also now OOP. I've been trying to find a backup or replacement for the one I bag w/o much luck, tried the Pred and it feels like it always has, like it's just too much disc for my arm.

Funny, I used to throw Flashes, stocked up and have 3 of those, have an old Avenger that was a spare, handful of other discs but I was never smart enough to collect a stash of Reapers back then.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,026 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
I have felt current D Magnets that felt great, although I was dumb and didn't buy any. I just don't live near any stores that sell them so I can't feel them up.

I don't really want to go hunting for old discs. I do have an old four chain soft that I usually use as my thrower, but that was just luck in a used bin.
I've had a Soft Magnet baking in my car for 2 weeks and played a round with it yesterday. It was fun lol

Niced: (1)
Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 142 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
They killed the hornet... I thought the wasp was still in production? I miss my hornet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got it right. Oops.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 20 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buiscutboy View Post
I have felt current D Magnets that felt great, although I was dumb and didn't buy any. I just don't live near any stores that sell them so I can't feel them up.

I don't really want to go hunting for old discs. I do have an old four chain soft that I usually use as my thrower, but that was just luck in a used bin.
I really like the jawbreakers. I was going to use a JB magnet until I felt the roach. Awesome rounded profile putter, unique to my collection of putters. Felt at home in my hand. No denying a great magnet's flight pattern though for finding chains.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,026 Times in 901 Posts

Magnets are great throwers and fly a lot like a slower Comet.

BrotherDave put it once: Magnets fly like a slower Z Comet and the APX flies like a slower X Comet.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 457 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmiller View Post
I've been throwing a couple Big Z Vultures and Z Undertakers this summer, and I wholeheartedly agree with the Undertaker=TL and Vulture=Thunderbird assessment. Although the Undertaker has a very slightly wider rim than the TL and the Vulture has a very slightly narrower rim than a Thunderbird, which leads to minor stability differences depending on power input.

I.E., it's easier to overpower a Vulture than a Thunderbird, and it's easier to underpower an Undertaker than a TL....
Interesting. I've recently been bagging both champ Thunderbird (acts a lot like a really beaten in Firebird with better forward fade) and a Z Undertaker. The Undertaker is so versatile, and I find it coming out of the bag for lots of forehands and backhands, both from the tee and on escape shots or fairways for par 4s and 5s. I feel like a TL would be WAY less beefy, but I haven't thrown both.

I definitely want to try a Vulture. The Thunderbird seems to fade relatively fast for me, and may be a bit too much disc for my backhand in particular. That ends up helping on the course when my forehand is lacking a bit of touch. Would the Vulture be somewhere between the ThB and Undertaker? I keep wanting to try it but just don't need any new plastic right now.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 138 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Interesting. I've recently been bagging both champ Thunderbird (acts a lot like a really beaten in Firebird with better forward fade) and a Z Undertaker. The Undertaker is so versatile, and I find it coming out of the bag for lots of forehands and backhands, both from the tee and on escape shots or fairways for par 4s and 5s. I feel like a TL would be WAY less beefy, but I haven't thrown both.

I definitely want to try a Vulture. The Thunderbird seems to fade relatively fast for me, and may be a bit too much disc for my backhand in particular. That ends up helping on the course when my forehand is lacking a bit of touch. Would the Vulture be somewhere between the ThB and Undertaker? I keep wanting to try it but just don't need any new plastic right now.

In short, the Vulture is definitely in between an Undertaker or Thunderbird for me, and leaning closer to the Thunderbird.

I can go for more distance on a forehand with a Thunderbird than the Vulture without burning it, and the Vulture has a bit less fade on a backhand. The Undertakers I have are pretty much dead straight around 325' on a backhand for me, but I don't even try to forehand them.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

My experience is that the Vulture and Thunderbird are very similar. I have a ESP Vulture and it is just as beefy as my * Thunderbird. Nice for flat to fade BH shots or FHs with a little wiggle and a good finish

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
Glad to see people still loving Discraft - don't want them to become the Oldsmobile of DG. They chopped my favorite molds in the Avenger and Wasp. Still.
Did that to premium XL too the Z was made until June, can one tell me if a Stalker is close to an XL. I know years ago they stopped the ESP XL as you could not find those. Also stopped the other mold I use an Impact but I know the replacement is just as good, in fact better as it can hold more power and not get as flippy. I will get the ESP Sting to use soon, the Impacts one of them the non Ace Race is in the less durable ESP is going to be too flippy soon.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 08-10-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:28 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 460 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Magnets are great throwers and fly a lot like a slower Comet.

BrotherDave put it once: Magnets fly like a slower Z Comet and the APX flies like a slower X Comet.
That is why an uncle likes the Focus, is like a slower Comet in ESP.