Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,684 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeastwood View Post
Finally, our 2nd round was an 8am shotgun at Newton and then had to be at Maple Hill by 11:45am for another shotgun start. Steve Dodge said there would be a food vendor on site for lunch, there wasn't. After my first round and getting to Maple Hill, I had 25 minutes to get to my hole before the 2nd shotgun started. I kid you not there were people sprinting to get to their hole as the 2 minute warning was going off.
I was also in the pool that played 8am at Newton and 11:45 at Maple. I managed to stop at a store, grab lunch, eat it, get to Maple, find out the starting time (I had not checked my phone yet), get to my starting hole and get 10 minutes of putting in without rushing at all.

There absolutely was a food vendor at Maple when I arrived. They were set up by the barn right near the PDGA trailer and the Innova tent (they were there all day Sunday as well). At least two of my cardmates got lunch from them. They were praising it, and grumbling (in jest) at having grease on their throwing hand.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 120 Times in 32 Posts

From an outsider's perspective you'd think there was the option to, I dunno, contact the TD directly with a bunch of constructive criticism rather than put the whole thing on blast through social media...but I guess there's not enough drama in that?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,532 Times in 507 Posts

Sometimes it helps to shine a light on problems instead of keeping them hidden in the shadows.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 27
Niced 120 Times in 32 Posts

I could see that, might not see any changes if you're nice about it. But ****, everything is so hysterical these days.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 87
Niced 1,709 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Sometimes it helps to shine a light on problems instead of keeping them hidden in the shadows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
From an outsider's perspective you'd think there was the option to, I dunno, contact the TD directly with a bunch of constructive criticism rather than put the whole thing on blast through social media...but I guess there's not enough drama in that?
Speaking as a TD who has been put on blast because I made a mistake that I owned up to I can honestly say the whole social media "blast" thing is usually a complete d1ck move made by cowards. I was given zero opportunity to make things right before someone went nuts on the Book of Faces even though I had emailed trying to fix my mistake TWO HOURS prior to their drunken rant. And wouldn't ya know it...this rant didn't come from an Am.

Now, on the flip side I can see going all "blast" with it if the players have been complaining in multiple messages and they aren't getting anywhere with the powers that be over reasonable complaints. The reality is though, going this route is likely to solve nothing so it's still probably going to be a waste of time.

My opinion is, if you're a pro and are going to put a TD on "blast" you had better have your facts straight and had better tried all other private avenues prior to ranting publicly otherwise you're just going to look like an entitled prick. The best bet? Don't go to the tournament. If it's that bad why waste your time? Even for you so called "pros" this is really just a glorified hobby and you're not making a living at it.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,532 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
I could see that, might not see any changes if you're nice about it. But ****, everything is so hysterical these days.
I know of a TD who ran poor tournaments with bare minimum payouts. There always seemed to be issues. This was an area with few events so some folks played just because of a lack of options. After one event, some friends complained on Facebook. I appreciated it because I knew to avoid his events in the future. That's why I said "sometimes".

I'm not advocating for public shaming as a first option or even an option at all for every situation. Just, sometimes...

Niced: (1)
Old 09-10-2019, 07:34 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeButch View Post
this.

USDGC, Worlds, European Open. that should be it.

too many majors and WAY too many divisions these days. everyone's a winner/participation trophy culture.
But they should have the Masters 40+ play the same course as the Open in my opinion just different devison then make it easier for the rest, they have a Masters devison in golf but it starts at 50+ simply due to the modern tech keeping players with a chance to win an event in 40's due to that. Tech in Disc Golf even the longer discs take more power and at 40 some events are too long for them to get to even a money slot thanks to top level of modern players training to throw minimum of 350-400 feet with a putter and driving really long. There are courses that take skill that are more wooded then long that are the type of course that a 40+ age pro could win but they are fewer . Personally a specific tour for 40+ would be a good Idea at 90% of the same places as the NT and PT for the 40+ pro who is not fully retired and could help generate sales for discs that are older/slower and give people a chance to see these discs action, maybe even get enough demand to bring back some old molds in some brands caeses. I could see a few of these courses not being able to have 40+ age at them, being that tough unless the shorter tee was used.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-10-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Speaking as a TD who has been put on blast because I made a mistake that I owned up to I can honestly say the whole social media "blast" thing is usually a complete d1ck move made by cowards. I was given zero opportunity to make things right before someone went nuts on the Book of Faces even though I had emailed trying to fix my mistake TWO HOURS prior to their drunken rant. And wouldn't ya know it...this rant didn't come from an Am.

Now, on the flip side I can see going all "blast" with it if the players have been complaining in multiple messages and they aren't getting anywhere with the powers that be over reasonable complaints. The reality is though, going this route is likely to solve nothing so it's still probably going to be a waste of time.

My opinion is, if you're a pro and are going to put a TD on "blast" you had better have your facts straight and had better tried all other private avenues prior to ranting publicly otherwise you're just going to look like an entitled prick. The best bet? Don't go to the tournament. If it's that bad why waste your time? Even for you so called "pros" this is really just a glorified hobby and you're not making a living at it.
I am thinking something similar. It seems as though this is the kind of thing that makes a good volunteer TD not want to do it any more. People may have "blasted this TD" (I don't get the "blame the PDGA" piece), but other TDs might be thinking, "for what I get out of running this event, is it really all worth it to know that any one mistake might make me persona non grata on FB or DGCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
General comment, speaking of shining a light and not keeping hidden in the shadows, my dgcr screen name is araytx. My real name is A. Ray and I am from Texas. hmmmmmmm......

Niced: (2)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,019 Times in 842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I am thinking something similar. It seems as though this is the kind of thing that makes a good volunteer TD not want to do it any more. People may have "blasted this TD" (I don't get the "blame the PDGA" piece), but other TDs might be thinking, "for what I get out of running this event, is it really all worth it to know that any one mistake might make me persona non grata on FB or DGCR.
Yep- this. We have a Major here in less than 2 weeks. Literally 2 years of preparation has gone into it including several hundred hours on my part alone. Guess what? It still will not be perfect and there will be players who take the flaws on social media. For what it is worth I can probably tell you who those players will be before they even arrive here. Hell- I have already heard complaining about an aspect of the event from a player who is not even registered for it and to my knowledge has never been here.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 122
Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
But they should have the Masters 40+ play the same course as the Open in my opinion just different devison then make it easier for the rest, they have a Masters devison in golf but it starts at 50+ simply due to the modern tech keeping players with a chance to win an event in 40's due to that. Tech in Disc Golf even the longer discs take more power and at 40 some events are too long for them to get to even a money slot thanks to top level of modern players training to throw minimum of 350-400 feet with a putter and driving really long. There are courses that take skill that are more wooded then long that are the type of course that a 40+ age pro could win but they are fewer . Personally a specific tour for 40+ would be a good Idea at 90% of the same places as the NT and PT for the 40+ pro who is not fully retired and could help generate sales for discs that are older/slower and give people a chance to see these discs action, maybe even get enough demand to bring back some old molds in some brands caeses. I could see a few of these courses not being able to have 40+ age at them, being that tough unless the shorter tee was used.
they need to get rid of the 40+ division period. There isn't that much ability and potential drop off at 40 more like most people over 40 choose to focus their energy and time elsewhere and thus skill decreases. These guys are just too good and should be playing open. Most large MPO tournaments are 1 round a day tee times so endurance shouldn't be a big factor.