Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 183 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I don't care for them because of how deep the grip is, but the flight of the Innova Nova reminds me of a slowed down Comet.
I agree the Novas flight is similar to a slower Comet. The Nova feels fine in my grip though. To each his own.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 477 Times in 295 Posts

I'm a big fan of a premium plastic Pa4 for putter-comet shots. They're a little more stable than a Gateway Magic, and much like a Comet, a lot of people hate how it feels in the hand.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,150 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Let's all be honest, nothing throws quite like a Comet.
The Disc you name is taken from by Wham-O is an example of midrange type disc like a Comet.

Another for longer type of Comet is the Sidwinder and due to the wing shape will feel like a Comet.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 206 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
It's the only disc I know of that pisses me off because I can't throw. I see great things with that mold but the grip doesn't work for me.
I cannot figure out how people power grip comets. I have only ever been able to fan or fork grip them.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,401 Times in 615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I understand this is old but what is the desired shape of Pro Leopard to mimic a good x Comet?

Short answer? I use a tool I designed.

Long answer:
Here is the tool I created to help me buy new copies of discs I already love. I call it the Marm O. Gauge. I take the disc I love and painstakingly recreate the geometry using various methods, digitize it, then print it. Ideally, this would be laser-cut from something rigid (plastic, aluminum, etc) but thick cardstock works too. The graphic up above is my perfect Pro Leo that is very Comet-like for my throwing style.

Here’s how I use it:
1. Create the tool. Whatever you decide to use, make sure it is at least relatively stiff. Also… take your time and make sure you are cutting the gauge’s EXACT profile. Little changes make big differences. I included a 1 inch scale to make sure your print is correctly scaled.

2. Place the new disc candidate on a flat, hard surface.

3. Place the gauge on the flat surface next to the candidate and check use the line to check the PLH. The gauge's bottom edge needs to stay in contact with the flat surface for the gauge to work properly; tiny PLH shifts can be really noticeable in a disc's stability. Use the If the PLH is out of the acceptable range, put the candidate back on the shelf and choose a new candidate. If the PLH is close, continue to the next step.

4. Slide the Marm O. Gauge’s bottom edge along the flat surface until it contacts the disc’s profile. Again, the gauge's bottom edge needs to stay in contact with the flat surface for the gauge to work properly. Make sure the gauge points directly toward the center of the disc. This makes sure the gauge is aligned with the disc’s radius instead of a random chord.

5. If the candidate's profile and the gauge's profile match well enough, I use the top of the gauge to check the dome height. Slide the candidate to the edge of the flat surface and stick the gauge underneath. The projections on the top of the gauge should straddle the disc’s sprue artifacts. If the gauge raises the disc off the surface, the disc isn’t as domey as the one I love. If I can push the candidate’s dome down before it contacts the gauge, the candidate is domier than the one I love. One of my gauge designs will stand upright on the flat surface so that you don’t have to bring the disc to the edge. Plop the gauge down, put the disc’s center over it and hopefully it’s a perfect match.

6. If everything matches up, the candidate comes with me to it’s forever home

If there is enough interest in this tool then I will shoot a video and create a dedicated thread describing all this.

And yes, I realize I'm uber-nerdy

Last edited by Marmoset; 01-28-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post

You win the forum today.

Niced: (4)
Old 01-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Niced 477 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
I cannot figure out how people power grip comets. I have only ever been able to fan or fork grip them.
Power grip all the things. I even power grip ultrastars, always have.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 174
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasissouth View Post
Power grip all the things. I even power grip ultrastars, always have.
I can power grip all things through Him who strengthens me.

Frisbeeippians 4:13

Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post

Long answer:
Here is the tool I created to help me buy new copies of discs I already love. I call it the Marm O. Gauge. I take the disc I love and painstakingly recreate the geometry using various methods, digitize it, then print it. Ideally, this would be laser-cut from something rigid (plastic, aluminum, etc) but thick cardstock works too. The graphic up above is my perfect Pro Leo that is very Comet-like for my throwing style.

Here’s how I use it:
1. Create the tool. Whatever you decide to use, make sure it is at least relatively stiff. Also… take your time and make sure you are cutting the gauge’s EXACT profile. Little changes make big differences. I included a 1 inch scale to make sure your print is correctly scaled.

2. Place the new disc candidate on a flat, hard surface.

3. Place the gauge on the flat surface next to the candidate and check use the line to check the PLH. The gauge's bottom edge needs to stay in contact with the flat surface for the gauge to work properly; tiny PLH shifts can be really noticeable in a disc's stability. Use the If the PLH is out of the acceptable range, put the candidate back on the shelf and choose a new candidate. If the PLH is close, continue to the next step.

4. Slide the Marm O. Gauge’s bottom edge along the flat surface until it contacts the disc’s profile. Again, the gauge's bottom edge needs to stay in contact with the flat surface for the gauge to work properly. Make sure the gauge points directly toward the center of the disc. This makes sure the gauge is aligned with the disc’s radius instead of a random chord.

5. If the candidate's profile and the gauge's profile match well enough, I use the top of the gauge to check the dome height. Slide the candidate to the edge of the flat surface and stick the gauge underneath. The projections on the top of the gauge should straddle the disc’s sprue artifacts. If the gauge raises the disc off the surface, the disc isn’t as domey as the one I love. If I can push the candidate’s dome down before it contacts the gauge, the candidate is domier than the one I love. One of my gauge designs will stand upright on the flat surface so that you don’t have to bring the disc to the edge. Plop the gauge down, put the disc’s center over it and hopefully it’s a perfect match.

6. If everything matches up, the candidate comes with me to it’s forever home

If there is enough interest in this tool then I will shoot a video and create a dedicated thread describing all this.

Wow, this is not was I was expecting. Just...awesome.

Nice work. Makes me wish I had an engineering degree and a 3D printer.

Will review the marm o. gauge further

Old 01-29-2020, 06:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Niced 1,401 Times in 615 Posts

Thanks! You don’t need an engineering degree also, the inexpensive 3D printers probably aren’t dimensionally stable enough for me to feel comfortable blindly trusting them. That would need to be tested. I would trust an SLA style print, high-end FDM, and maybe SLS. Realistically, cutting it out of card stock works just fine (but isn’t long term durable).
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Wow, this is not was I was expecting. Just...awesome.

Nice work. Makes me wish I had an engineering degree and a 3D printer.

Will review the marm o. gauge further