#1371  
Old 05-21-2020, 01:43 PM
deyo7 deyo7 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Courses Played: 3
Posts: 843
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
The only problem I see with that is that a lot of people will think "oh, so it's like a Mako but a putter." And the Proxy is nothing like a Mako. Makos only fly straight with clean form and zero wind. Proxies fly straight even with a moderate breeze, and can overcome a fair amount of OAT.
Honestly I wouldn't have trouble with the Pure or Mako being rated the same way, as 0|0. Yes, the Proxy is definitely better at doing it and more user friendly but you can't put that into a number system...
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1372  
Old 05-29-2020, 09:06 AM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,754
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Honestly I wouldn't have trouble with the Pure or Mako being rated the same way, as 0|0. Yes, the Proxy is definitely better at doing it and more user friendly but you can't put that into a number system...
They basically already have a disc stamped with those numbers. MVPs Anode. Stamped 2.5/3/0/0.

I waffled about switching my bag up someday and going envy/proxy to eliminate the now oop putters I'm throwing. I currently throw a plasma ion and a soft N particle (among others). I putt E Anodes. Thought about trying a proxy to putt, but wanted it in E plastic. Now, that's possible.....oh boy.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #1373  
Old 05-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Marmoset's Avatar
Marmoset Marmoset is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Years Playing: 20.4
Posts: 2,329
Niced 1,401 Times in 615 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
... I putt E Anodes. Thought about trying a proxy to putt, but wanted it in E plastic. Now, that's possible.....oh boy.
Yeah, E Anodes are probably my favorite MVP putter.
But, like you said, the new Proxy looks super tempting. I should have one in the mail ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #1374  
Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,754
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Yeah, E Anodes are probably my favorite MVP putter.
But, like you said, the new Proxy looks super tempting. I should have one in the mail ASAP.
I'm clinging to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" model. But I really like pairing my throwing putters and my putting putters to a similar feel. Hence why I go ion/Anodes. Basically an identical feel. But, the plaz ion is now, inexplicably, oop. And I hate the idea of hinging my bag on OOP plastic. That's why I was thinking about putting/throwing Proxys and throwing Envies to go with them. I think an Envy could cover the shots of both my ion and my also oop soft N particle.

Decisions decisions haha. Until I manage to lose my last plaz ion (only have the one left) I'm not going to worry about it. I think. Maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #1375  
Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Utah
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,250
Niced 804 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I'm clinging to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" model. But I really like pairing my throwing putters and my putting putters to a similar feel. Hence why I go ion/Anodes. Basically an identical feel. But, the plaz ion is now, inexplicably, oop. And I hate the idea of hinging my bag on OOP plastic. That's why I was thinking about putting/throwing Proxys and throwing Envies to go with them. I think an Envy could cover the shots of both my ion and my also oop soft N particle.

Decisions decisions haha. Until I manage to lose my last plaz ion (only have the one left) I'm not going to worry about it. I think. Maybe.
I did the Envy/Proxy pairing last year, and the problem I had was on approaches. They are the best driving putters available, but the same attributes that make them great driving putters also make them mediocre approach discs. I found them too fast and torque resistant to use for things like touch anny approaches around trees. I think if I were to try to fully rely on Evies/Proxies as my main putter molds again, I would likely only do so if I also carried something slow and lid-like for approaches.
Reply With Quote
  #1376  
Old 05-29-2020, 12:43 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,754
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I did the Envy/Proxy pairing last year, and the problem I had was on approaches. They are the best driving putters available, but the same attributes that make them great driving putters also make them mediocre approach discs. I found them too fast and torque resistant to use for things like touch anny approaches around trees. I think if I were to try to fully rely on Evies/Proxies as my main putter molds again, I would likely only do so if I also carried something slow and lid-like for approaches.
Interesting. I hadn't heard and/or thought of that before. I have a stack of various flavored Anodes (soft P, E, Firm E) that I could keep to fit that bill. But then, why switch? I think the only way I would switch would be if I could go down to 2 putter molds. Well, 3, cuz I've got a Stego arriving today or tomorrow that I'm pretty sure will hold a unique spot in the bag.
Reply With Quote
  #1377  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:30 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Utah
Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,250
Niced 804 Times in 490 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Interesting. I hadn't heard and/or thought of that before. I have a stack of various flavored Anodes (soft P, E, Firm E) that I could keep to fit that bill. But then, why switch? I think the only way I would switch would be if I could go down to 2 putter molds. Well, 3, cuz I've got a Stego arriving today or tomorrow that I'm pretty sure will hold a unique spot in the bag.
I hear ya. I too try to keep the # of molds down, since too much clutter means I'm not as confident in each mold in the bag. That's really tough for me to do with putt & approach discs though, because those discs have to do so many things. Driving, approaches, scrambling out of trouble, C1 putting, and C2 putting. That's a lot of jobs, and it's tough to find any one mold that is exceptional at all of them.

Right now I'm bagging four putter molds --
1. Judge is my workhorse mold and I carry three. A premium Judge for straight-to-fade drives, a baseline Judge for C1 putting, and a beat baseline Judge for C2 putting and understable approaches.
2. Zone for obvious Zone things.
3. Berg for BH approaches, and FH approaches that are just a bit too short to comfortably power down the Zone.
4. Proxy for dead straight drives. I've tried to cover this with my beat baseline Judge, but it's just so ridiculously easy to throw a Proxy straight in the woods. So alas, I'm carrying a fourth putter mold and a sixth putter in total.

I feel like this problem is exclusive to putt and approach discs. I mean, no one complains about Destroyers not being able to power down well. They just throw a Wraith or Thunderbird instead. But putters are expected to do a lot more things well, so maybe it's OK to bag a bunch of them if you find the need for it. Especially if you can give them defined roles. There's even still a part of me that wants to put an Envy back in the bag in lieu of the premium Judge, but 5 putter molds just seems like crazy talk.
Reply With Quote
  #1378  
Old 05-29-2020, 01:57 PM
funguy funguy is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 369
Niced 164 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I'm clinging to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" model. But I really like pairing my throwing putters and my putting putters to a similar feel. Hence why I go ion/Anodes. Basically an identical feel. But, the plaz ion is now, inexplicably, oop. And I hate the idea of hinging my bag on OOP plastic. That's why I was thinking about putting/throwing Proxys and throwing Envies to go with them. I think an Envy could cover the shots of both my ion and my also oop soft N particle.

Decisions decisions haha. Until I manage to lose my last plaz ion (only have the one left) I'm not going to worry about it. I think. Maybe.
Been in a similar thought process as well. Had been Envy/Proxy for awhile. Added the Pilot as a putting putter and kept the other 2 still in the bag. Recently I have been liking the Ohm for approach shots and switched to the Serpent for my putting putter. Replaced the shots of my Envy with an Electron Entropy. Too many of my Envies (even off the shelf) were too similar to Proxies. So right now I have the Proxy for turnover, anny, and hyzerflips with minimal power. The Ohm handles the upshots, and the Serpent is super straight and can even handle upshots that I just want to sit. Serpents 2x, Proxy 1x, Ohm 1x, Electron Entropy 1-2x, Neutron Entropy 1x.
Reply With Quote
  #1379  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:24 PM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,754
Niced 1,267 Times in 631 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguy View Post
Been in a similar thought process as well. Had been Envy/Proxy for awhile. Added the Pilot as a putting putter and kept the other 2 still in the bag. Recently I have been liking the Ohm for approach shots and switched to the Serpent for my putting putter. Replaced the shots of my Envy with an Electron Entropy. Too many of my Envies (even off the shelf) were too similar to Proxies. So right now I have the Proxy for turnover, anny, and hyzerflips with minimal power. The Ohm handles the upshots, and the Serpent is super straight and can even handle upshots that I just want to sit. Serpents 2x, Proxy 1x, Ohm 1x, Electron Entropy 1-2x, Neutron Entropy 1x.
I'm feeling slightly better! I carry a lot of putters, but only in 4 molds.
E Anode x2 for putting only
Firm E Anode (straight shots, flippy shots)
Soft P Anode (tunnels- might drop)
Plasma ion (main thrower)
Proton ion (jack of all trades beat up one for replacement duties for any of the above, also for sentiment reasons)
Soft N particle (OS compliment)

Coming soon: Tarpit Stego- Dumb stuff. Humbling throws. Sh@#$ and giggles. Playing DG in an F5 tornado or a cat 4 hurricane.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1380  
Old 05-29-2020, 02:32 PM
funguy funguy is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 369
Niced 164 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Once an Ohm beats in it might replace my Proxy. While they are similar they are also a bit different. I find that the Ohm is like my OG Proton Anodes when they were like "glass". The Electron Entropy has been the really game changer. It might even be that I whittle down to the Entropy in various plastics and the Ohm (if it is every released in Electron). Or, if I like the Electron Proxy as my putter once that comes out. But the Serpent has just been great. Alas, not gyro but I was getting tired of how fast Electron plastic was changing the Pilots flight. Maybe the new Electron blend coming with the Electron Proxy will be longer lasting. Not sure about the feel though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axiom Envy vs. Proxy JFibeZZZ Discs 66 03-26-2020 06:51 PM
Straight upshots/drives: Axiom Proxy vs Lat64 Pure murybcm Discs 71 06-21-2018 01:39 PM
Watermelon Proxy! GripEnemy The Marketplace 4 03-21-2018 11:59 AM
Watermelon Proxy cdaddyphresh The Marketplace 0 06-24-2015 06:43 PM
Wanted AXIOM DISCS AND MVP/AXIOM MINIS! DiscgolfDoug The Marketplace 2 03-06-2015 12:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.