Old 06-09-2020, 07:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,542 Times in 879 Posts

I'm really enjoying watching his form. At the least...he made me realize I was walking too straight in my x-step.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 253 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
"Simon Syndrome" is the reason I did Crush the Can like Lizotte. I kept/keep seeing people trying to make his move, but doing it fundamentally wrong. I still don't think it's the best way to stride, but it can be very effective as it creates more redirection or change in acceleration via physics tricks like how a roller coaster ride increases G-force with twists and turns. I also think it takes a lot more athleticism to pull off which is not what you want when trying to learn to throw. Simon also strides much straighter as he speeds up his x-step, and T2 also goes really slow with the feet, meanwhile 99% of Ams want to run fast and try and do that move and doesn't really work that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk&t=1m35s

I thought Thomas Gilbert did a pretty good job on his self-analysis.

T2 did a pretty good explaining his throw, I wouldn't be surprised if he learned a lot from my vids, he used to be on here. Although he must have missed my "Worst Advice - Keep the Head Down or Still" vids, and he doesn't keep his down or still. Sure looks like he is looking right at his disc as it leaves.

He definitely uses a lot of your language so I'm sure he's watched your stuff. I think this is the perfect example of why people think keeping the head still is a good thing. His head isn't moving much at all relative to the torso. It can feel like you have a static head if you keep it there, but as we know, feel isn't real.

In my experimentation I did a few slow throws while actually keeping my head "back" and I could immediately see why it would cause injury. As I said in my own thread, now that I've "figured it out" I can see why head placement doesn't matter much at all. The hit happens

I think the biggest thing you SHOULD do with your head is keep your eyes on your target as long as possible. This keeps it forward, making it easier to stay in balance and keep your weight moving down the line while also making it easier to be accurate. When your backswing forces you to turn back it's pretty much done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm really enjoying watching his form. At the least...he made me realize I was walking too straight in my x-step.
Aaaaand theres the problem.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-09-2020, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,542 Times in 879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
Not for me and my old man form. It was too constricting and causing me to hyzer release way too much. Walking more to the left, gives me a bit more freedom to throw both anny and hyzer release shots. It's made a huge difference for me recently, especially in my continued quest for a distance roller.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,937 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
I think the biggest thing you SHOULD do with your head is keep your eyes on your target as long as possible. This keeps it forward, making it easier to stay in balance and keep your weight moving down the line while also making it easier to be accurate. When your backswing forces you to turn back it's pretty much done.
This is why I like to pump the disc forward in x-step, so I can put the disc in my sightline to aim before going into the backswing as long as possible and I just keep my eyes on my disc going back and forth.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
This is why I like to pump the disc forward in x-step, so I can put the disc in my sightline to aim before going into the backswing as long as possible and I just keep my eyes on my disc going back and forth.

Yeah I’m a forward pump convert for sure, helps me tip my balance towards the target too.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 399 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not for me and my old man form. It was too constricting and causing me to hyzer release way too much. Walking more to the left, gives me a bit more freedom to throw both anny and hyzer release shots. It's made a huge difference for me recently, especially in my continued quest for a distance roller.
DRK evns: Just clarifying, we don't necessarily have to equate moving right to left with (too much) stagger. Can still stride "straight" as you say (i.e., NOT planting way to far out with with final plant foot, relative to rear foot) when moving in that direction, right to left on teepad. I like throwing hyzer flips this way. Though if If I'm throwing pure hyzer, I stride more left to right on teepad. I don't necessarily know what Disc Fifty meant but just clarifying.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Niced 13 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
I still think these two videos will be responsible for a large amount of people throwing with too much stagger and getting caught behind their hip like I was.
drk_evns can you explain what you mean by "getting caught behind their hip"? Is there maybe a tread on this?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 804 Times in 490 Posts

I thought it was a great video analysis. So many of the things that I do when throwing well (and forget to do when throwing poorly) where on display in TT's video. Slow/controlled X-step, bracing, weight shift, hitting left of the target from a closed stance...all those things looked good to me. Sure, his stance might be a bit too closed for the average amateur to imitate exactly, but the general principal is good.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:45 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
drk_evns can you explain what you mean by "getting caught behind their hip"? Is there maybe a tread on this?

Basically, most people who stagger their stance too much because they think they should end up essentially cutting themselves off and never transfer to the front leg. This is because too much stagger can limit hip movement.

A telltale sign is when a person’s foot rotates after the disc is passing it rather than during. Sometimes it rotates in chunks rather than in one smooth motion as well. Hard on hip, back, knees, and ankle.

Niced: (1)

Old 06-09-2020, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,937 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingOnShoulders View Post
Quote:
Basically, most people who stagger their stance too much because they think they should end up essentially cutting themselves off and never transfer to the front leg. This is because too much stagger can limit hip movement.
Get stuck between your feet, instead of being able to shift from one foot to the foot effortlessly. It takes a lot more effort/better athlete to pull it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk&t=2m42s

Quote:
A telltale sign is when a person’s foot rotates after the disc is passing it rather than during. Sometimes it rotates in chunks rather than in one smooth motion as well. Hard on hip, back, knees, and ankle.
Often when someone is too staggered with their CoG to the right tee side of the heel, the foot will start spinning early during the swing as the pressure on the foot starts rolling behind the heel and CoG falling behind heel, instead of CoG more stacked upright on foot/ankle. You will often see the too staggered player's front toes go really high as they pivot on the heel and often over-rotate on the heel all the way around almost 360 and never getting back onto the toes, instead of a quick 90 degree heel pivot with the toes closer to the ground and ending pointed at target and then continue to pivot on toes if necessary.