Old 06-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

I'm actually waiting to play a course that almost every single hole from the blue tees is a play for par type, and not just the 3s, the 4s and 5s are like that too. I'm an 850ish (after my dumpster fire on the green this weekend) player who throws 400'+ and am gonna try a full bag and just a putter (GMC SB Flex Steady BL) to see what the difference is. I like holes where the score is about 15-20% birdie chance, 45-50% par and the rest is bogey or worse. Every hole should have a birdie line, you just may have to be Simon to find/throw them.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 332 Times in 195 Posts

Unless it’s a super technical hole, I don’t think anything 500’ or under should be anything over par three.

Even us poor scrubs with no distance should be putting for par on a 500’ hole.

Seems reasonable to me.

But those little 195’ holes just seem silly at a par three. Any time I par a hole that short it feels like I took a bogie. There’s a little nine hole course that I take my wife to play where the longest hole is 244’. I can’t seem to do better than -7 and it frustrates me. Seems I can’t get through nine holes without miss firing a tee shot or a putt.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I'm actually waiting to play a course that almost every single hole from the blue tees is a play for par type, and not just the 3s, the 4s and 5s are like that too. I'm an 850ish (after my dumpster fire on the green this weekend) player who throws 400'+ and am gonna try a full bag and just a putter (GMC SB Flex Steady BL) to see what the difference is. I like holes where the score is about 15-20% birdie chance, 45-50% par and the rest is bogey or worse. Every hole should have a birdie line, you just may have to be Simon to find/throw them.
So work called me in on 13, so after 13 holes, the Steady BL was up 4 and had gained strokes on hole I figured it would lose strokes on. The remaining 5 holes would've been a toss up and maybe the whole bag could've clawed back to within 2, but we will never know. I think I'm gonna need a few more of them, and some in putting plastic too.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 42 Times in 15 Posts

I could honestly care less about par. At the end of the day you add up your score and that's what you shot. I don't care what par is on any particular hole. You do your best and that's all you can do. I think there are lots of golfers who would shoot way better if they stopped worrying about birdies and bogeys and just played.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:44 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1 View Post
I could honestly care less about par. At the end of the day you add up your score and that's what you shot. I don't care what par is on any particular hole. You do your best and that's all you can do. I think there are lots of golfers who would shoot way better if they stopped worrying about birdies and bogeys and just played.
It amuses me that every time someone says par is not important, they preface it with "at the end of the day". And, I'd have to agree. The end of the day is the time when par is not important. (Still interesting, but not important.)

The rest of the time, it does have importance. For keeping track of whether someone on another card is breathing down your neck, as just one example.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:30 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 174
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,610 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote:
This is basically the philosophy I tried to pull off with my course. It's funny the reactions I've seen to it because I've always considered myself in the "every hole should be birdie-able/par at best is not a good hole" camp. Most players are unprepared for the ass kicking of a course where even par is a good score and probably think I'm in the "**** birdies/be more like ball golf" camp because of my course.

It's basically been a litmus test that yields two basic types of disc golfers:

Thin-skinned golfers that are accustomed to their usual course that was built early 2000s at the latest where they can play mediocre and still shoot well under par.

Thick-skinned golfers that not only don't mind being challenged every hole but actually relish it.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 116
Niced 293 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
This is basically the philosophy I tried to pull off with my course. It's funny the reactions I've seen to it because I've always considered myself in the "every hole should be birdie-able/par at best is not a good hole" camp. Most players are unprepared for the ass kicking of a course where even par is a good score and probably think I'm in the "**** birdies/be more like ball golf" camp because of my course.

It's basically been a litmus test that yields two basic types of disc golfers:

Thin-skinned golfers that are accustomed to their usual course that was built early 2000s at the latest where they can play mediocre and still shoot well under par.

Thick-skinned golfers that not only don't mind being challenged every hole but actually relish it.
Wait...you have a course ???

Old 06-19-2020, 05:38 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Yep I do not mind playing Play for par that is correct on the par for the course, Not a lets make everything Par 3 even if a hole warrants for casual play a much higher number like a 5 or 6.

What I hate are courses that are made that Par for even good lower ranked Pro Tour/National Tour players is considered near impossible to get, Courses where getting much higher 2+ throws or more over par is most common for 99% of players in the world and that you have 100% to be thee current top player in the world for the type of course you are playing. I don't mind a hole or two like that or the course was made for World Championships, Pro Tour/National Tour, European Tour, even a top ranked A tier that is near National Tour/Pro Tour caliber, then fine. If the course was not originally made for that in mind or tried to get World Championships but failed and is rather a course for the rest of the world, then no I do not like to play such a course as then it is excluding all but the top player for that specific type of course in the world where they are only one that could % wise have a chance to par the holes for the course.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 426
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
...and that you have 100% to be thee current top player in the world for the type of course you are playing. ...as then it is excluding all but the top player for that specific type of course in the world where they are only one that could % wise have a chance to par the holes for the course.
There are no courses where par was set for the top player in the world. The toughest pars out there were set for 1000-rated players.

I agree with your broader point: that it is more fun to play for pars that are set for your own skill level.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:57 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
There are no courses where par was set for the top player in the world. The toughest pars out there were set for 1000-rated players.

I agree with your broader point: that it is more fun to play for pars that are set for your own skill level.
Or at least are not set for those 1000+ rated player, unless the course was or is part of the National Tour/Pro Tour, Top A tier events, World tournaments, European Tour and or Championship events like USDGC but maybe not USDGC as that is from what I would guess very boring and easy at parts if not using the man made barriers. Then I can think of all the great players that did the event over the years it has been used for top level play and just play what I can on such a historic venue. Same goes for some legendary courses you hear about /see on YouTube that are very tough like Lakeside Beach in Western NY Courses in the Shorewinds Disc Golf Complex. I hope to end up playing that course someday seeing how close it is to my relatives.