Old 06-25-2020, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 740 Times in 343 Posts
Default Disc Preferences and Hand Size

How much does hand size (maybe also finger length) influence disc preferences? I'd seen some discussion on this with regard to rim width, but was wondering about other aspects of discs, like dome, bead, etc.

For example, Comets, Rocs, discs with dome/beads/depth/wide rims feel more comfortable in my hand. For others, these are uncomfortable and undesirable characteristics on discs.

For perspective: my hands are larger than average. Before really getting into disc golf I was mostly into lifting weights, so the discs I was used to handling most were 20kg/45lb weight plates (both traditional plates and the thicker rubber bumper plates.) Also prefer anything with a thicker bar/handle/grip (think axles over thin whippy weightlifting bars.)

Getting into disc golf, the discs that felt most comfortable to me were some combination of deeper, more domey, beaded. Discs that were more flat or shallow felt awkward.

For those who prefer lower profile/shallower/beadless discs, do you have smaller hands? Anyone with bigger hands feel less comfortable with these discs?

Is there any relationship between these, or any other factors? Is it simply an individual preference independent of hand size?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 802 Times in 488 Posts

I prefer to throw low profile/shallow discs that are either beadless or microbeads. I tend to griplock deeper discs.

I think I have fairly average hands (just over 8" measuring from tip of pinky to to tip of thumb, with fingers splayed).

Niced: (2)
Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 54 Times in 47 Posts

I have small hands and prefer beadless mids and putters. I feel like they are more secure when I grip them. I use Fireflies and P2s, so a deep putter doesn't bother me. I also generally like some dome on my midranges.

My girlfriend has smaller hands but putts and approaches with big bead/JK aviars. She throws both a Roc3 and MD3 and can't seem to decide between the two, but definitely prefers forehanding the MD3.

Totally anecdotal, but I think it's personal preference.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:28 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,147 Times in 953 Posts

I have small hands Kids XL/XXL to adult XS/S depending on sizing from the brand and fit style. I could use a midrange with a bead, the Wasp if the mold was made in plastic other then Z as that causes the mold to lack glide. The ROC I can't due to how odd the rim feels on most except the ones with the average Shark dome to the mold, the least awkward but still awkward, a harder thing to find why I do not see using the ROC. The Comet I can use however the mold is not OS enough for wind. I also use the Archer for some shots like the backhand roller and right shots as well as odd flex lines and that has a bead near nose and a traditional midrange/putter bead. The mold I picked for true midrange use that is a midrange was a Champion Shark 3 with 2 in bag due to how the mold fits in hand, was using Stingray and then a Pro/Star Shark right before then,. I still use a Shark in Pro and Star for approach/windy day putting and the Star for driving putter slot. I also used to use a 166 gram Prostyle #2 Upshot from Lighting for Driving putter as well as the uphill/downhill putter, now is mostly just the latter unless a steeper shorter downhill shot is requiring me to use the 166 gram Prostyle #2 Upshot.

So in short no the bead does not cause issues with my vary small hands. It is the shape of the wing with the bead does. ROC is just in that spot the inner part of the knuckle gets caught in the wing, a few of the good domes have a wing less likely to do this but only 75%--80% of the time instead of 90%.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-25-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 51
Niced 481 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I prefer to throw low profile/shallow discs that are either beadless or microbeads. I tend to griplock deeper discs.

I think I have fairly average hands (just over 8" measuring from tip of pinky to to tip of thumb, with fingers splayed).
What aphilso1 said. From putters to drivers. Trespasses feel great in the hand cuz they’re shallower and not so wide. Deeper discs usually result in more grip locks.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,090 Times in 419 Posts

I have tiny Trump hands and the only thing I have trouble with is backhand gripping wide rim drivers. It took a lot of field work to get comfortable using a power grip on putters and comet/roc type mids but I’m fine with it now.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I have tiny Trump hands and the only thing I have trouble with is backhand gripping wide rim drivers. It took a lot of field work to get comfortable using a power grip on putters and comet/roc type mids but I’m fine with it now.
Yeah I have trouble with gripping wide rim past 12 so I do not use the 13+ speed discs, not that I should anyhow be even using the one 12 speed I use. I can use my power slant grip on putters and midrange discs being wider then putters. With putters and approach discs I have a hard time with the index/pointer finger in a power slant so that ends up ether in the wing grove should I ever use Magnet or a Hydra for a driving putter slot or on other putters on the wing side of the bead and if no bead, then index finger curved on the wing. This allows more control for the putter/approach disc, faster discs like true midrange not just putter like midrange I can use the power slant grip. I have an impossible time of 0% control with the straight finger power grip so I need to go so fast with the straight finger power grip as I am gripping very hard into the disc that I feel like I am trying to rip skin off my hands, this is why I use the power slant.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-25-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

I prefer medium depth putters that are beadless, everything else has to be deep and the mids beaded. BH discs I prefer some dome, but FH discs with anything more than a slight dome feel terrible in the hand (my recently misplaced domey ESP Force is an exception).
Old 06-26-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I prefer medium depth putters that are beadless, everything else has to be deep and the mids beaded. BH discs I prefer some dome, but FH discs with anything more than a slight dome feel terrible in the hand (my recently misplaced domey ESP Force is an exception).
I can use many depth putters to a point, some are just odd feeling in the hand for an Aviar P&A/Big bead due to wing to nose part being sharp but could use a classic grid Aviar. The thing I need is not too much glide in putting putter or a disc like Rubber Putter I have used will blow past the basket when even putting more gentle especially if a tailwind happens, a disc like a lower shoulder/profile Wizard will have less glide then the average Wizard causing me to over putt the low Wizard profile in power, like the strictly approach label low profile Wizards of the 2000's.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-26-2020 at 04:05 AM.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 802 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdaire27 View Post
What aphilso1 said. From putters to drivers. Trespasses feel great in the hand cuz they’re shallower and not so wide. Deeper discs usually result in more grip locks.
Maybe this is why we throw a lot of the same discs

I went back to Trespasses this year and my distance drivers have been way more accurate as a result. I don't have that monster drive 10-20% of the time like I did with Shrykes and Ballistas, but I'm staying in the fairway way more and haven't lost noticeable distance on an average drive. I bookend with a PDx if the day is insanely windy, and a Vanish for a turnover machine. Both share that Trespass rim feel.

Niced: (1)