Old 07-02-2020, 10:22 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by centervolume View Post
thanks for the replies. Hope these shots post ok. I studied underneath this disc and found what appears to be a worn down and partially visible patent # and company address raised in the plastic which I think corresponds to innova.

I can't make out all the #s of the patent stamp but have to wonder if the various disc models got their own stamp. (dont mind the strips of tape, this thing is about to explode, like that stuffed animal you loved as a kid until its eyeballs were hanging out etc)
They sometimes used those ink stamps on custom stamped discs in the mid-late 90's to identify the mold, so the Stingray stamp on a custom stamped disc would have been somewhat common.

Also the Stingray top back then had this tell that the part that said "Innova Champion Discs Inc" was not very deep and hard to read but the part right below it that said "San Marino, CA" was very clear. You can see that in the tooling on that disc, so the disc clearly is using the Stingray top.

So, nice Stingray.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2020, 10:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 917 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Also the Stingray top back then had this tell that the part that said "Innova Champion Discs Inc" was not very deep and hard to read but the part right below it that said "San Marino, CA" was very clear. You can see that in the tooling on that disc, so the disc clearly is using the Stingray top.

So, nice Stingray.

Interesting fact about the Stingray tooling. I had not noticed that before.
This motivated me to look at some of my Stingrays. Most all of them have the tooling idiosyncrasy that you mention, except for an amoeba stamp Stingray, in which both lines are legible.

And, looking at a few more discs, it turns out that I have some Scorpions, and a Moray, with the same tooling as Stingrays, which would seem to indicate that they shared the same bottom mold piece.

Last edited by swhite; 07-02-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Interesting fact about the Stingray tooling. I had not noticed that before.
This motivated me to look at some of my Stingrays. Most all of them have the tooling idiosyncrasy that you mention, except for an amoeba stamp Stingray, in which both lines are legible.

And, looking at a few more discs, it turns out that I have some Scorpions, and a Moray, with the same tooling as Stingrays, which would seem to indicate that they shared the same bottom mold piece.
Morays if you look at them are just blunt nose Stingrays. The top, wing and core are all the same, they just used a nose spacer to blunt up the nose. Scorpions are weird since they have a different diameter and shouldn't share mold pieces with the Stingray, but that's the distinctive Stingray core tooling on them so...just something else I don't know.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Years Playing: 31
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

all lightnings have rings inside the inner rim edge where your fingertips are.

and no, DD j. rusco up in emporia is not the same DD from jan sobel / destiny/ dynamic disc

Old 07-04-2020, 01:53 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,149 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post

and no, DD j. Rusco up in Emporia is not the same DD from Jan Sobel / Destiny/ Dynamic Disc

Can you do best to show off the Side View and bottom? That will help those with the telling of what brand the mold is.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:45 AM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saylor View Post

and no, DD j. rusco up in emporia is not the same DD from jan sobel / destiny/ dynamic disc

A lot of the Lightning molds had the grip rings, but not all of them. Most of the Lightning discs had no tooling, but some of them actually had the disc name as tooling. There aren't a lot of absolutes with Lightning Discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Can you do best to show off the Side View and bottom? That will help those with the telling of what brand the mold is.
I think he's just showing off an old Destiny/Dynamic golf disc; I mean the stamp says what disc it is.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Curious if this disc ever made it into production?

My buddy and I loved throwing it back and forth as a warmup before the tournament rounds. I’d love to have one that isn’t the tournament stamp to throw around now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 571 Times in 396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
Curious if this disc ever made it into production?

My buddy and I loved throwing it back and forth as a warmup before the tournament rounds. I’d love to have one that isn’t the tournament stamp to throw around now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it did, as I'm guessing that DS in this case stands for Doggy Style. Innova and Latitude have similar versions as well.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:13 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I think it did, as I'm guessing that DS in this case stands for Doggy Style. Innova and Latitude have similar versions as well.
What this guy said.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:53 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Have two discs, with the stamp cleaned off - and was hoping someone could help identify:

First up is a disc that looks to be from the Cherry Hill Challenge, 2009. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
Second up is a disc that looks to be from the Golden State Classic. The type and spacing looks similar to one I've seen that is a Ken Climo 11x TeeBird (or so says this: EBAY AD

Any ideas? Thanks.
IMAGES HERE